Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hyperhidrosis/Excessive Sweating solutions?

hockeysc23

Hey,

I know this topic can easily be derailed to funny but I was wondering if anyone else here has any solutions for excessive sweating.

With the humidity kicking up even my warmup at the gym has me sweating buckets. It doesn't get any easier for work especially when I have to wear a suit (even a summer suit) or driving in the car. Luckily when I play ice hockey it's all good :)

I can easily go through a couple shirts when doing stuff just around the house (I don't normally keep the AC on but still sweat a lot even when I do). But at work its extremely embarrassing to have to wipe your brow or have visible sweat stains.

I've tried different deodorants, etc. but nothing seems to work. My friend sent me this link about some herbal tea that might help.

Has anyone tried this stuff?

http://www.steepingsherbal.com/hushed-sea-tea.html

Any other recommendations?

With MS, I don't do well in heat. When I am outside in the summer around here, I wear cooling neck wraps. They work to cool me off for about 30 to 45 min. You can get decent ones at boating stores and some medical supply stores. I would call them first to see if they have them.

When I am out longer, I use the neck and upper spine wrap from

http://www.polarsoftice.com/koolmax.html

that works for a few hours for me before I need to switch out the packs. but if your work has a fridge, freezer or ice machine you can be set. Under a suit, you may get away undetected, but the tie will sit up a bit higher. This works a heck of a lot better than the neck wraps I listed above. Warning, the wrist wraps actually make me warmer (black and the fabric doesn't breath).

As for sweat, I'm with you. I drip all summer long in this heat. Thankfully I don't wear a suit very often any more.

I used to have to shower up and get to work right after jogging. Whenever I did this, I couldn't stop sweating.

As a result, I started ending my showers with about 2-3 minutes of very, very cold water. It seemed to help a lot in those situations...almost like starting you off from a cooler core temperature or something.

Granted, I don't really sweat profusely most of the time inside or anything. But this time of year, if I'm outside for a while, it can get steamy!!

After i got GBS in 2006 i noticed it instantly.

I can't hold hands with my girls (lil ones) or prospects...

I used Certain Dry 72hour heavy duty stuff and it worked a little.

But even a leg across my leg causes that area to get hot and sweat.. Its annoying.

Even holding the mouse or forearms resting on the desk..

Looked for one of those homeopathic book remedies... Not doing icepacks all over.

Hushed Sea stops excessive sweating by promoting the normal balanced functioning of two complimentary nervous systems, the sympathetic and parasympathetic. An imbalance in these two systems leads to profuse and unnecessary perspiration in circumstances that do not warrant sweating.

HA!!! i figured the GBS (nervous system attack!) just messed me up all around, had no idea it was directly related. DUH!

Thanks Hockey.

Edit

I drink Green Tea and Chai in my office so i ordered some.. Will let you know in about 9 days if it works.

I guess you could go to the Vitamin Shoppe and get:

Valarian Root 300 caps 12$

Astragalus 300caps 14

St Johns wort 240 caps 22$

and it does the same thing without drinking tea twice a day.

Sage??? mouthwash :)

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/gbs/gbs.htm

Guillain-Barré syndrome is a disorder in which the body's immune system attacks part of the peripheral nervous system. The first symptoms of this disorder include varying degrees of weakness or tingling sensations in the legs. In many instances, the weakness and abnormal sensations spread to the arms and upper body. These symptoms can increase in intensity until the muscles cannot be used at all and the patient is almost totally paralyzed. In these cases, the disorder is life-threatening and is considered a medical emergency.

( For example I had to use my leatherman to pull up my socks and zipper) If your muscles normally get 100 messages a second to do a "function" like close and grip.. instead they get 8messages.. to carry a cup i had to put on the top of my arm. Walking sucked.

(everything sucked).

THAT is when i realized the people that were trapped in their bodies were EXACTLY the same as we are, but they can't tell us.

I was and am the same person as i am 98% cured for now but for a while there i was a mess.

( For example I had to use my leatherman to pull up my socks and zipper) If your muscles normally get 100 messages a second to do a "function" like close and grip.. instead they get 8messages.. to carry a cup i had to put on the top of my arm. Walking sucked.

(everything sucked).

THAT is when i realized the people that were trapped in their bodies were EXACTLY the same as we are, but they can't tell us.

I was and am the same person as i am 98% cured for now but for a while there i was a mess.

Wow...that sounds tough. I'm glad to hear you're 98% cured. I can't imagine. Do they know what caused it?

I don't have any solutions. I hope you find some.

But you don't usually turn on the AC? In this area? I have no clue how you do that. I'd be miserable and possibly never sleep again. lol

If I have friends over I turn it on. Guess I am a cheapskate :)

BTW just get an AC unit for your bedroom. Especially in townhouses there is no sense cooling a house you don't spend the majority of the time in.

So I just blast the AC in the bedroom for like 1 hour before bed. Cools it down and I can sleep.

I am also going to try the tea and will post a review.

Do you have high blood pressure too? Just curious

I don't know about him but I do and I sweat like a pig. Not just in heat but in a mildly warm environment. Even in a relatively cool room if the air is still. I've asked my doctors about it but my thyroid is normal and no one seems to have an answer. My blood pressure is controlled by medication though.

Why do you ask?

I don't know about him but I do and I sweat like a pig. Not just in heat but in a mildly warm environment. Even in a relatively cool room if the air is still. I've asked my doctors about it but my thyroid is normal and no one seems to have an answer. My blood pressure is controlled by medication though.

Why do you ask?

It's funny you mention still air. I do fine even in heat if there is some breeze, but still air (even cool) can get me sweating sometimes too.

I unfortunately have the opposite problem. I don't sweat enough, and I get really uncomfortable in hot, humid weather because my body can't cool down.

The only place that I can sweat is on my face, and so as soon as it gets hot I start to overheat and my face looks like this:

airplaner.jpg

By the way, I think I saw you in a TV ad:

m4pQs3bIiC4

I am a heavy sweater too, I have never been to a doctor to look at it since it doesn't bother me that much. (maybe I should since it won' cost me a dime)

One key thing I learned a long time ago was to stick with deodorant and stay away from antiperspirant. there is a difference, antiperspirants stop your pits from sweating, but your body is still hot so you will sweat somewhere else, whereas deodorants only mask the smell. I used to sweat through the back of my shirts when I sat anywhere using antiperspirant, but that is hardly an issue now with deodorant.

Also, 2 things that might sound stupid but they helped me: 1) turn off your AC and 2) wear an undershirt.

I tend to start sweating as soon as my body notices a temperature change of even a few degrees- I start to sweat once I get to the second floor of my house that is only 6 to 7 degrees warmer than the first floor. This becomes more pronounced when I exit an A/C room into normal summer temperatures. I find if I don't turn my AC on, my body adjusts to the heat better and I do not sweat as much.

the undershirt sounds like it would make you hotter, but I find I am more comfortable in an cotton undershirt that might be sweaty as oppose to trying to hide those sweat stains on dress shirts. I go with sleeveless cotton shirts and never buy tight fitting ones, those ones tend to stick to the skin when wet, whereas you dont notice the sweat on the loose ones as much.

hahahahha well done. It's more my back and chest but hahah that had me rolling. Well done. :ols:

You had never seen that ad before? They air that one all the time. I was gonna post it before the OP beat me to it.:pfft:

Btw, you're wierd for not running the AC. That goes beyond being a cheapskate.:)

You had never seen that ad before? They air that one all the time. I was gonna post it before the OP beat me to it.:pfft:

Btw, you're wierd for not running the AC. That goes beyond being a cheapskate.:)

Nah, I've never seen it but I had to clean up my keyboard when I watched it haha.

AC costs money :) I'd rather spend my money on hockey gear or anything shiny and from Apple.

I've used certain dri to stop from getting any pit stains. If you use it long enough, you won't sweat at all! It can itch a little after using it though - especially the more you use it. I would try that first since it is cheap. You can get it at CVS. If that doesn't work for you, I've heard that doctors can prescribe some serious stuff, including botox injections in your sweat glands.

Luckily when I play ice hockey it's all good :)

You can't be serious. I sweat buckets when I play hockey. After I get my equipment on, it's continuous until I take it all off. I haven't ever sweat as much as I do when I play hockey.

That's all I have to say. I'm not a hypersweater. Good luck with that.

Archived