Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 Orioles Thread

A's at bat, 1 out, runner on 3rd, ball hit to deep left but foul. Patterson drops it gets an error but the run doesn't score. Batter strikes out, next guy pops out, and Matusz escapes the inning. Best error ever.

A's at bat, 1 out, runner on 3rd, ball hit to deep left but foul. Patterson drops it gets an error but the run doesn't score. Batter strikes out, next guy pops out, and Matusz escapes the inning. Best error ever.

We lost a game against Texas a few years ago in a similar way.

So I grew up loving the O's. I wa a fanatic about Murray and the Ripken's. I still remember how the nose-bleed seats at Memorial Stadium smelled on certain hot days... that's right, puke and beer.

I was a fan of the O's all the way up until Ripken retired. I hated the culture of MLB leading up to that and I thought that MLB was falling apart. I thought many players were asking for far too much money and that some franchises were so powerful that a genuine league of competition was impossible. The scandal of the steroid era didn't help my opinion change either.

I have friends who in the last few years have tried to get me to go to a game but I wasn't remotely interested. But a few weeks ago, my girlfriend got 2 tickets to Fridays National's vs Oriole's game at Camden Yard. It was part of a pool of tickets she obtained at her work so there would be about 100 other people there too. She is an instructor at a deaf blind institute and many of the deaf children would be there. She asked if I'd go and I couldn't turn it down. Those kids are so awesome.

So I said I'd go. It has been 13 years since I went to a game. On the ride up to the game, I didn't really care so much about the game. I was going for the company. But something peculiar happened on 295 as we passed the stadium. I began to feel that child magic of baseball crawling on my skin. Seeing all the orange and black shirts all over the sidewalks and at the Pickles Pub area was bringing back the memories of all the fun I had.

We parked the car a few blocks away. We entered the Eutaw St side of the stadium and WHAM! It hit me. Oriole magic hit me. :) I felt like a kid again!

We got to our seats where all the teachers, parents and deaf kids were at. I even learned a bit of sign language so that I could somewhat talk to the kids. It was such a great time.

For most of the first 1/2 of the game, the Oriole's were losing... and part of me cared but part of me didn't. It was more of the experience of being there again after over a decade that felt so good. But as most of ya know... that crazy Oriole magic started happening again. And those mediocre O's started rallying a comeback. Just like the old days! But in the old days, we'd get within 1 run away from a tie and blow it in the 9th. Or we'd be leading the game and blow it in the 9th!

Everything was shaping up to be another game like the games I had witnessed so many times in the 90's. The O's tied the game in the 8th and it all came down to the bottom of the 9th. The Oriole's could win it with 1 run. My throat was sore from many innings of outright joy and excited as I screamed for my old friend the O's on their comeback. I don't know where I was able to pull the energy I found when we won at the bottom of the 9th. The stadium erupted. The team emptied the dugout. It was amazingly poetic.

It was truly one of the best times I've ever had at a sports event.

I fell in love with the game of baseball all over again on Friday. It's that Oriole's magic. It's that magic I found back in the early 80's as a scrawny boy who thought if I drank a glass of milk everyday, I'd be like Cal.

Ever since Friday, I have become obsessed with the Oriole's again. :)

anyway, just wanted to share. :cool:

Welcome back Ellis. My interest in the O's has come back the last few years as well.(Not sure why)

Wiggy just hit the first home run from an O's 1st baseman this season. Scott hits another one and pulls a hammy running the bases. The life of an O's fan. O's lead 7-6.

Welcome back Ellis. My interest in the O's has come back the last few years as well.(Not sure why)

Wiggy just hit the first home run from an O's 1st baseman this season. Scott hits another one and pulls a hammy running the bases. The life of an O's fan. O's lead 7-6.

That Scott homer will go down as our version of Kirk Gibson!

:ols:

My story is similar to yours Ellis. I loved the O's when I was younger but lost interest after Ripken retired and that is when I got into football. I went to a game in 07 with a bunch of friends because my dad got free tickets through a Citgo promotion. They ended up losing the game but I din't care because I wasn't interested that much. My dad ended up getting $5 tickets from his union, so I figured I would go and kind of be like old times, except I don't really know anyone on the team. I couldn't believe the way the game started but as it progressed, I kept getting more interested in the team. That was probably one of the best times I have had at an O's game, and look forward to going to more games.

Wasn't Scott Moore playing 1B when he hit that dinger on Friday?

I guess he was a PH, but he did play first! Haha.

5 of 6. Let's keep it going!

I've been out of the country the past week. Makes sense for the O's to finally gettin on a roll.

Ellis and others welcome back. I had a different experience. Although Ripken retiring sort of closed a chapter for me, I never stopped following or caring about the O's. Glad that you've gotten those little shots of magic that make this team so great.

He does. It's funny since I realize it's just what he does. No one would actually believe such nonsense. Maybe he feels some guilt if he's one of the fans that jumped ship since 2005??

I dont know about Mooney. But this is the correct answer for many a Nat fan. They jumped ship and now they hate on their former team with unbridled passion. Its pathetic. Especially considering they probably still have O's gear hanging in their closets or packed away in their attics. Its pretty much the only thing that pushes me away from apathy and towards distaste for the Nats.

I otherwise wouldnt have a problem with the Nats. But its hard to just sit there and take the hate without returning the favor.

Archived