Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 Orioles Thread

Welcome D&S, I agree with you...I'd like to see as many young guys in the second half as possible.

It would be a good idea in many respects if you think about it. It would allow Showalter to have a head start on seeing what he has in the farm system before Spring Training 2011. Seeing a Britton or Patton or some young pitchers would be a nice sight because I'm tired of seeing people like Guthrie and Millwood out there who we all know probably wont be with the team next year

I still haven't seen anything official on the hiring of Buck.

It hasn't become official yet but many have said that something will happen soon. If we don't get Showalter I'll be seriously bummed out he is one of the managers we really need for this team not another Trembley, Perlozzo type

I will believe it when I see it. With Angelos around and MacPhail's glacial pace of business, anything can happen.

Indications are that Showalter wants to be here and the Orioles want him to be here. So we'll see. Showalter helped rebuild the Yankees before their championships in the 90's, he turned an expansion D-Backs into a winner in just a few years and he was manager of the year in Texas.

I will believe it when I see it. With Angelos around and MacPhail's glacial pace of business, anything can happen.

Indications are that Showalter wants to be here and the Orioles want him to be here. So we'll see. Showalter helped rebuild the Yankees before their championships in the 90's, he turned an expansion D-Backs into a winner in just a few years and he was manager of the year in Texas.

Yep, in the one season out of four where he finished above .500. :ols:

We'd take it.

:doh:

Yep, I know you would. Like I said earlier, as bad as the Rangers have been the last decade, I recognize that the O's have been worse. While we are trying to make the playoffs for the first time since 1999, the O's are trying to finish above .500 for the first time since 1997. Buck gave us a magical year in 2004, and I hope he can do the same for y'all. :)

LA waived Flat Breezy today...

Oh, and they may hire Cal Ripken as an advisor...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5380774

Ripken, Orioles discussing return

Associated Press

BALTIMORE -- Cal Ripken Jr. is exploring the possibility of joining the Baltimore Orioles as a part-time adviser, which would ease his transition into a permanent position after his son graduates high school in 2012.

Ripken, who turns 50 next month, has been meeting on a regular basis with Orioles owner Peter Angelos and president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail. The conversations have centered on finding the Hall of Fame infielder a position in the front office on the team he played for throughout his 21-year career.

I wouldn't mind bringing Sherril back!

Sherril is finished dude. He is the last thing the O's need at this point IMO. He isn't striking anyone out (5 SO's per game), he's walking over 7, allowing almost 13 hits. I don't see how he could be any help to the O's. Of course he does have the flat brim of the cap thing working for him. ;)

Associated Press

BALTIMORE -- Cal Ripken Jr. is exploring the possibility of joining the Baltimore Orioles as a part-time adviser, which would ease his transition into a permanent position after his son graduates high school in 2012.

Ripken, who turns 50 next month, has been meeting on a regular basis with Orioles owner Peter Angelos and president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail. The conversations have centered on finding the Hall of Fame infielder a position in the front office on the team he played for throughout his 21-year career.

I'd heard mention of this last week on the Scott Garceau show on 105.7. They said Cal may come in part-time now, and that MacPhail may be in line to take over as Commissioner after Selig, and Cal would then take over Andy's position as PBO.

Associated Press

I heard this as well. Of course, I've heard this many times over the years so I'll believe it when I see it.

Obiouvsly, it would be great for the Orioles. Not sure how Cal would fare with player personnel, but ultimately I HOPE that this could make for an easier transition for him in to ownership, sort of ala Nolan Ryan right now in Texas. That, I think is the ultimate goal here.

Sherril is finished dude. He is the last thing the O's need at this point IMO. He isn't striking anyone out (5 SO's per game), he's walking over 7, allowing almost 13 hits. I don't see how he could be any help to the O's. Of course he does have the flat brim of the cap thing working for him. ;)

No reason not to sign him to a minor league deal and work on his mechanics with. Baltimore sun said O's scouts can't believe how different his delivery is than when he was with Baltimore.

No way is he finished. You don't go from being a solid closer like he was to just completly falling off the map. He's definitely worth a look. Its not like our bullpen is perfect.

No way is he finished. You don't go from being a solid closer like he was to just completly falling off the map. He's definitely worth a look. Its not like our bullpen is perfect.

You do go from that to nothing when you start to get old. George is 33 and one year for a pitcher can make a big difference. The O's need to pass on this one. Haven't we learned our lesson by signing veteran's at the end of their career? I say keep Ohman and let George go where he may.

You do go from that to nothing when you start to get old. George is 33 and one year for a pitcher can make a big difference. The O's need to pass on this one. Haven't we learned our lesson by signing veteran's at the end of their career? I say keep Ohman and let George go where he may.

Absolutely. Theres no reason to try and fix Sherril when there's really no reason he needs to be here. Its not like he will personally put the O's in first place, so why go through all the trouble.

He's left handed, has a pulse and doesn't rely on velocity. His BABIP indicates that he's had some bad luck. Odds are that he needs to make some adjustments.

Archived