Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Baltimore Sun: ESPN Zone Baltimore to close

MattFancy

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs-bz-espnzone-closes-20100608,0,2510002.story

The ESPN Zone at The Power Plant at Baltimore's Inner Harbor will close "imminently," officials with the Cordish Cos., the building's landlord and developer, said Wednesday.

The Walt Disney Co. is shutting down most of its ESPN Zone locations, a chain of sports-themed restaurants located in seven cities, according to published reports. The only outlets to remain open are those tied to a Disney property, such as the Downtown Disney shopping district in Anaheim.

I went to the Baltimore ESPN Zone not to long after it opened in 98. And since then, maybe I've been 2 or 3 times. It was always overpriced and there are plenty of other bars to watch games in. Plus it sucked because to stay and watch games there all day you have to spend $10/hr. Which isn't hard because one mixed drink was around $10.

Not sure what other ESPN Zone's are closing, it looks like the one in Chicago is also closing but I can't seem to find a list of the closures.

Yeah, apparently all of them are closing except for the Disneyland location in Anaheim. I thought the food was pretty good there, but as everyone else said, pretty overpriced. I did not know that the ones in Atlanta and Denver had already closed, those were the only two that I had been to other than the Baltimore location.

Oh well, I had fun a few times at the one in Atlanta, but it had been a few years since I had been to one. They were neat to go to a time or two, but nothing really brought me back.

Yeah the food was nothing special. And now that everyone has flat screens in the house plus Sunday Ticket, there was no point to go to the ESPN Zone.
Not everyone has Ticket.

What will be the main Skins bar in DC now? Greene Turtle?

Slap a named brand on a ****ty product, and you'll be surprised how many people flock to it. That will work in the short term, but eventually the lack of a quality product will not produce repeat customers.

Exactly. I can probably rattle off about 50 sports bars that crush the ESPN Zone.

Wonder what will replace it in Baltimore. That location is prime.

Archived