Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Words That Make Me Want To Chuck Norris Someone

McD5

"This is true." - used as a response to something they agree with. So overused by some people I know, really pisses me off.

I use to gig with this female jazz singer who would say "totes" a lot, as a replacement for "totally" which can also be annoying, but not gouge-your-eyes-out annoying like "totes"

Me - "Hey wanna go grab some food after the show?"

Her - "O yea, totes, totes."

Really wanted to just drop-kick her in the face.

Then either ask for a Sprite, or soft drink works in emergency situations.

Sodas? Pop? Please. My blood pressure rises just typing them.

What if you want to know specifically what kinds of soda they have? Every type of drink has a generic name, Coke, Sprite, etc are sodas.

Honestly I dont know how referring to something by its actual name can annoy you.

Going to school in south central PA has really made me realize how much I despise the local vernacular. I think thats been well documented so far in the thread. But the number one thing I hate is "Yinz" or however you spell it.

Really? Its "YOU". Is it really that hard to say? And they're so damn protective of the way they talk, more than any place ive ever been. If you ask them what they just said they give you a death stare.

Oh, the other thing I despise about western PA is the town of North Versailles. They pronounce it "ver-sales"

Complete red necked ignorance.

The midwest doesn't do well with French. When I lived in Chicago, I went out to a suburb named Des Plaines. They pronounced it "Dess Playnes."

of course, their German wasn't any better. There is a Goethe street in Chicago. They pronounce it "Go-EEE-Thee" :laugh:

There is a street in downtown nashville called demonbreun

I called it DEMON-BROIN when I first moved there and everyone looed at me like I was a gd moron

Silly me, its pronounced "deeMUNbreeUN"

Kentucky is by far the worst state in the union with french translations. There are probably more french place names in ky than any othe stste. The only one they say correctly is louisville

There's this town near Boston named Worcester. You could have given me 1,000 guesses to guess how it's pronounced and I wouldn't have gotten it. Apparently people in Massachusetts believe those letters, in that order, result in "Wooster." (The o's sound like they do in the word "woof.")

There's this town near Boston named Worcester. You could have given me 1,000 guesses to guess how it's pronounced and I wouldn't have gotten it. Apparently people in Massachusetts believe those letters, in that order, result in "Wooster." (The o's sound like they do in the word "woof.")

Because that's the way they pronounce it in England (where the name came from).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worcester

Haven't you ever had "Worchestershire Sauce?" How did you pronounce it?

"Unchartered territory" Friggin makes me crazy. I hear it from sports figures and announcers all the time. But the one that made me crazy was it's use in a commercial for Meteorite Men. I mean come on... it's scripted by a professional writer for cripes sake.

The term is unCHARTED territory. As in you've never been there... You have no chart. Charter is a granting of rights to use something.:doh:

And the other one is Gal. It doesn't really upset me but come on, didn't that term go out in the 50s? :ols:

I hate it when people say that something is "bias." "I don't believe that - that newspaper is bias."

The word "bias" is a noun. If you use it as an adverb, the correct word is "biased."

Generally, when I see this error, it is being made by someone who wouldn't recognise a genuinely biased source if it punched them in the nose. :laugh:

2. Pop. As in soda pop. Who the hell says pop anymore? Cokes, drinks....anything works in its place. But pop? How about I pop you right in the nose, jackass?

Victim: "I've looked through the kitchen, but I can't find any pop. You must be all out."

Me: "You are what's out. Get the hell out of my house, and never return. You are dead to me."

My friends at school in Michigan used to say "pop" all the time and it drove me crazy. It's not my dad.

By the way, that's a regional thing:

popvssodamap.png

"Irregardless"

If I hear someone use that "word" I just freak out.

My old boss used to say it all the time. One of his other direct reports stopped him once in a staff meeting and told him (very respectfully of course), in front of the other people reporting to him, that it was not a word and that it was driving him crazy to hear it all the time. The boss stopped, for a few weeks, then went back to it. :mad:

Unless you're from Worcester. If that's the case, I think you pronounce it Wister.

The Wooster pronunciation is based on the English pronunciation of the city's namesake in England.

Try these:

Leicester

Leominster

Peabody

Dedham

Wareham

(A: Leicester = Lester; Leominster = Lem-inster; Peabody = Peabiddy; Dedham = Deadum; Wareham = Ware Ham)

:ols::ols:

I am so sick of the word "app". It is annoying. An application actually does something useful, most of the "apps" you show me on your **** phone are just making fart noises or shotguns. They suck and are money and time wasters in addition to being games.

STOP CALLING EVERYTHING ON AN ELECTRONIC DEVICE AN APP!

I am so sick of the word "app". It is annoying. An application actually does something useful, most of the "apps" you show me on your **** phone are just making fart noises or shotguns. They suck and are money and time wasters in addition to being games.

STOP CALLING EVERYTHING ON AN ELECTRONIC DEVICE AN APP!

What would you suggest people call it then?

Glad a lot of people in this thread don't get bogged down in the mundane and petty little things in life haha.

Archived