Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jesus Aint The Only One (Walk on Water)

Thinking Skins

They showed how that was done on some show I saw..its just clear plexiglass boxes on legs of some sort, so that they could swim under him

Thats kinda what I figured; some sort of plexiglass "stilts" with a wide base for support so people could swim under them and around them.

So was Jesus just a really good magician who also taught people stuff? I mean...I dunno, back then I bet if you pulled a rabbit out of a hat or were even really good at sleight of hand most people would possibly automatically assume you were either a god or a demon. lol
except that the human brain hasn't evolved a whole lot in 2000 years. lack of technology =/= lack of intelligence.

Thats kinda what I figured; some sort of plexiglass "stilts" with a wide base for support so people could swim under them and around them.

Was the masked magician that revealed it...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTE3WmMnovY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTE3WmMnovY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Honestly, I think I'm gonna try to submit this to history.com's mythbusters. I'm just curious about the (possible) science of this.

EDIT: I mean Discovery Channel.

Mythbuster's already did the walking on water myth. It's all over youtube if you want to look it up. :)

if you move fast enough, the surface tension of the water will keep you up. There's a type of lizard that runs across the water like that. Also, if you drive fast enough, you can drive over water, too.

:ols:

Well, we can't. The basilisk can because he's got webbed toes that create small pockets of air under his feet as he runs, and weighs about 3 ounces.

We're way too heavy for surface tension to hold us up, and our feet are shaped to sink.

And driving on water.. we hydroplane, but it's not from surface tension, it's from water buildup beneath the tires being compressed, and the speed of the vehicle causing the hydroplane. Also, the water is of very low depth, usually just a sheen between u and the road as you hydroplane. If you drive into any deeper water you immediately sink regardless of your speed.

It's like saying if you drove over a cliff your car can fly.

~Bang

:ols:

Well, we can't. The basilisk can because he's got webbed toes that create small pockets of air under his feet as he runs, and weighs about 3 ounces.

We're way too heavy for surface tension to hold us up, and our feet are shaped to sink.

And driving on water.. we hydroplane, but it's not from surface tension, it's from water buildup beneath the tires being compressed, and the speed of the vehicle causing the hydroplane. Also, the water is of very low depth, usually just a sheen between u and the road as you hydroplane. If you drive into any deeper water you immediately sink regardless of your speed.

It's like saying if you drove over a cliff your car can fly.

~Bang

can't drive across water?

_ZGC9IrPe3Q

Watching the start of that "walk on water" pool/magician video, and with having no idea of the trick, I immediately figured a clear "plank" of plastic or acrylic <whatever> stretched across the surface would allow for that and you could still swim under it. Same basic type of premise would apply to many other "water tricks"

Per the OP video, it was well done I thought, production wise. :)

Well, that's pretty cool, but ain't no way you're doing it on foot :)

~Bang

that very well could be. I'm just saying that there are some strange things that happen when it comes to the surface of a liquid. I mean, you look at non-Newtonian fluids and things get pretty out there. You'll sink right in if you're not moving, but if you run across it and strike the surface hard, the surface tension actually gets stronger and keeps you from penetrating. I imagine water has a similar quality but to a MUCH lesser extent (hence the basilisk can run across water, though I believe it would sink right in were it not running). So whether or not this is real, I don't know, but there are some phenomena dealing with fluids that suggest it may be possible.

It looks like there's some rocks, maybe?, under the water that they're hitting to "skip"... It's always the same place and that's how they fall sometimes, because they miss their marks...

Either that or wires....

that very well could be. I'm just saying that there are some strange things that happen when it comes to the surface of a liquid. I mean, you look at non-Newtonian fluids and things get pretty out there. You'll sink right in if you're not moving, but if you run across it and strike the surface hard, the surface tension actually gets stronger and keeps you from penetrating. I imagine water has a similar quality but to a MUCH lesser extent (hence the basilisk can run across water, though I believe it would sink right in were it not running). So whether or not this is real, I don't know, but there are some phenomena dealing with fluids that suggest it may be possible.

Yeah, water pretty much has the exact same quality but, as you said. to a lesser extent than non-Newtonian fluids. That is why people who jump off of bridges are much more likely to break their necks, etc, when they hit the water, than simply drown. The energy and surface area required are much more for water, but the same principles apply. That 4 wheeler that went across the water would have sunk in about 1 second if it were on a regular weight car. Similarly, you would need to have some serious energy going into your leg thrusts as you were running in order to make normal water "hard" enough to go across. No human has nearly enough.

So you can "walk" on water, but you have to do a large scale belly flop to do it. And it will only last very briefly.

The Mythbusters did it with a sports car. Of course, they had it going about 90.

Oh, im certainly not saying it is impossible. Just that the amount of energy required becomes ridiculous the bigger the object gets. A human being simply doesn't have the energy or power to be able to do it, especially when you consider the energy loss that you get with each skip (step, if you're running). I'm sure this can all be figured out mathematically as far as surface tension and fluid dynamics goes, but I don't remember nearly enough about it to even try, though the equations are out there I'm sure.

Archived