Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I really need your help here, guys....

Hubbs

I know it may seem strange to turn a message board full of people who I've never actually met for personal help, but I feel like I've gotten to know some of you pretty well, and, honestly... I really need the help right now.

Yesterday, I told my family that I've been addicted to alcohol for sleep-aid purposes for over a year now. I've tried several medications and none of them have been effective. I know I can't go down this path, but if anyone could offer any help at all, it would be greatly appreciated.

I hope others who have had similar experiences will be be to offer some good advice. I appreciate anything that anyone can say. I don't think I've ever felt this low in my life, and any help would be fantastic.

Well they say the first step is recognizing that you have a problem which thankfully you have done. I would recommend seeking counseling so you can speak about things that might be bothering you and a lot of times I know that can have a terrible effect on sleep.

I've found 1/2 a pill of melatonin really helps put me so you might want to give that a shot an hour or so before you hit the bed and see if it helps out.

Good luck

It's true. The first step is acknowledging the problem.

Hubbs, I use to drink like you have no idea.

But I quit for a long time and I'm proud of that.

So it's possible to quit if you choose.

I went to AA. Some people think AA is weird and avoid it.

I think it's awesome. You'll find you're not alone and that will lift your spirits quickly.

You'll hear other peoples success and be inspired.

You'll also hear sad stories. Often times those sad stories can be a source of inspiration to do better in your own life.

Don't really have any advice, but you seem like a smart guy with a level head so I have no doubt you can get thru this with the help of your friends and family. And don't hesitate to get professional help...if you've tried meds I assume you've been to a doctor already? You should look in to addiction-specific counseling too, tho.

And I second the melatonin - just beware you don't get dependent on it. It's really only meant to help get you into a proper sleeping pattern, not to be taken every night. And it gives some ppl really ****ed up dreams.

Oddly enough, a quote I always try to remember is used by AA - the task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us. Know that, and you will not let yourself fail :)

I'm curious as to what the difference is between using alcohol as a sleep aid and using sleep meds (other than the alcohol works for him). Is it affecting other aspects of your life? I can only assume yes, otherwise you probably wouldn't be asking for help.

But since regular sleep meds don't work for you, maybe talk to a doctor about alternative treatments?

re: melatonin- I'm not sure exactly what effects it would have when mixed with alcohol, but I read that you should not do so under any circumstances. So this might not be the best option for Hubbs while he's trying to transition away from alcohol.

edit again: interesting info about the effects of alcohol on your sleep cycle

http://www.sleeping-with-a-sleeping-disorder.com/melatonin-and-alcohol.html

"Recent findings have shown that large populations of alcoholics and people who are in the withdrawal stage have little melatonin hormone secretion in the brain. The studies also show that the secretion of melatonin is disrupted at night in alcoholics and is instead secreted during the day. This distorts their sleep patterns and can induce insomnia or sleep deprivation. This is found to be common in young adults."

Seems the alcohol might be creating the problem, keeping you stuck in an endless cycle of insomnia.

I'm curious as to what the difference is between using alcohol as a sleep aid and using sleep meds (other than the alcohol works for him). Is it affecting other aspects of your life? I can only assume yes, otherwise you probably wouldn't be asking for help.

But since regular sleep meds don't work for you, maybe talk to a doctor about alternative treatments?

re: melatonin- I'm not sure exactly what effects it would have when mixed with alcohol, but I read that you should not do so under any circumstances. So this might not be the best option for Hubbs while he's trying to transition away from alcohol.

The alcohol has affected all sorts of things. I can't remember anything anymore. You know the dude from Memento? That's basically me.

I'm going to a sleep lab soon, hopefully they'll have a more permanent solution.

You don't mix it w/ the alcohol. You take it on its own.

And kosher ham I see your point, which is why I tried to emphasize not taking it often. But if you take it once it'll help you get back into a normal sleep cycle, and get be especially nice if you need to get back on track after a few days/nights of having to stay up really late or something like that. Ultimately, it's something a good doc could advise him on.

Hang in there sweetie! I am an ex-addict and have suffered from sleeping problems since I was a kid. **** pills. Everytime I've attempted to take them I have to take 4x the normal amount and don't fall asleep till four in the morning, and you don't sleep deep with pills. I found that just rearranging your schedule can help. I know for me I try to keep myself busy enough to tire my out without keeping interested I dont try to go to sleep until I absolutely have to, sometimes I don't fall asleep until 3 in the morning, but I sleep more deeply that way. Doing things like reading help with that, especially if you read something you aren't really interested in. As far as the drinking goes, if you can conquer it yourself, then do what you gotta do, but if not make sure you get some help, and with that explore your options, wether you go to meetings or counseling or whatever you decide to do make sure you try different groups or people because some things might work for others and not for you...

Hubbs one thing you should look at in the quote above is this: "This is found to be common in young adults."

You're not alone. Others have dealt with this and are still dealing with this. You'll make it through just fine as long as you commit yourself to getting on the right track.

This one hits close to home for me Hubbs, I have never been someone who slept well even though I love sleeping. I dont know what your alcohol consumption level so this may sound like a rather stupid suggestion level but as someone who is working on a similar challenge the best thing I can recommend is getting healthy/exerting yourself so that you dont have a ton of energy late at night.

It may sound simplistic but like I said I have tried everything under the sun to help me sleep and working out to the point of exhaustion a few hrs before when I want to turn in has been the only thing that has worked for me. I typically go for a 3-4 mile run in the evening and then head to the gym afterwards to do some light weights in a sweatsuit.

Hang in there and dont be afraid to turn to people for help.

You don't mix it w/ the alcohol. You take it on its own.

And kosher ham I see your point, which is why I tried to emphasize not taking it often. But if you take it once it'll help you get back into a normal sleep cycle, and get be especially nice if you need to get back on track after a few days/nights of having to stay up really late or something like that. Ultimately, it's something a good doc could advise him on.

Yeah I wasn't suggesting he SHOULD take both together, simply that until he's completely free from alcohol he shouldn't risk the possibility of taking both together if he can't help but drink.

You say that you are using alcohol to help you get to sleep. So, let's think about that part and what you've tried.

Have you tried warm milk? Have you tried reading a book for an hour before you go to sleep? Do you get sufficient exercise? For me, somethingthat really helps when I can't sleep is self-hypnosis/meditation.

There are tons of strategies. The question you have to solve is why you can't fall asleep. It could be as simple as a change in nutricion or tiring yourself out, like I said above. It could be that you are too stimulated. Maybe your environment is too loud or there are abrupt changes in light or sound.

That you've recognized a behavior you want to change is important. Next step, is locating the stimuli which make that behavior necessary to you and changing them. Reaching out is also very smart. It's very hard to change your own habits by yourself although it can be done.

You're a smart guy and you seem to be a good guy. I think you're also a worrier. Alcohol isn't a great way to turn your brain off.

I am always wary of these threads because I don't know enough to really help and some well-intentioned advice can wind up being harmful. Hopefully, you find the answer.

You say that you are using alcohol to help you get to sleep. So, let's think about that part and what you've tried.

Have you tried warm milk? Have you tried reading a book for an hour before you go to sleep? Do you get sufficient exercise? For me, somethingthat really helps when I can't sleep is self-hypnosis/meditation.

There are tons of strategies. The question you have to solve is why you can't fall asleep. It could be as simple as a change in nutricion or tiring yourself out, like I said above. It could be that you are too stimulated. Maybe your environment is too loud or there are abrupt changes in light or sound.

That you've recognized a behavior you want to change is important. Next step, is locating the stimuli which make that behavior necessary to you and changing them. Reaching out is also very smart. It's very hard to change your own habits by yourself although it can be done.

You're a smart guy and you seem to be a good guy. I think you're also a worrier. Alcohol isn't a great way to turn your brain off.

I am always wary of these threads because I don't know enough to really help and some well-intentioned advice can wind up being harmful. Hopefully, you find the answer.

For me, alcohol is the best way to turn my brain off... which is the problem.

This one hits close to home for me Hubbs, I have never been someone who slept well even though I love sleeping. I dont know what your alcohol consumption level so this may sound like a rather stupid suggestion level but as someone who is working on a similar challenge the best thing I can recommend is getting healthy/exerting yourself so that you dont have a ton of energy late at night.

It may sound simplistic but like I said I have tried everything under the sun to help me sleep and working out to the point of exhaustion a few hrs before when I want to turn in has been the only thing that has worked for me. I typically go for a 3-4 mile run in the evening and then head to the gym afterwards to do some light weights in a sweatsuit.

Hang in there and dont be afraid to turn to people for help.

Great advice, working out consumes time where you would normally drink.

Man, good luck to you Hubbs. Really. Addiction is something I think everyone has gone through at one time or another. Whether it be alcohol or drugs or food or whatever else. In my experience the toughest steps are the first ones.

Keep after it and above all, keep your chin up. What you're going through happens to a lot of good people. Not everyone has the courage to change though.

A quick note about sleep though- what is your exercise routine like? If I'm on a 3 or 4 day per week exercise routine I've found sleep much easier. Right now I'm lifting weights 2 days a week and we go for a walk pretty much every night, usually 1-2 miles. Whenever I get off that wagon I find myself really finding sleep difficult. I was jogging a little but running sucks :ols:

The other thing I'd say is don't eat anything after 7 pm. And turn off all distractions.

Whatever though- that's all minor compared to addiction, good luck

Lots of good counsel so far in this thread Hubbs, I would only highlight a couple that I see as being keys. First and foremost since you have acknowledged your addiction then you need to find a trained professional counselor, and a program to get involved with; AA, Celebrate Recovery among others. Right now you may feel like you're the only one in the world who understands what's going on inside you, but take heart...you're not alone. Third, work your program and get some trusted family members involved in your recovery, help them to the best of your ability to understand what is going on and how they can help to hold you accountable. Find someone you can trust to be your primary accountability partner, normally someone outside of your family, this needs to be someone you can trust completely while at the same time someone who is willing to ask the hard questions of you. Fourth since this began with sleep issues then definitely get some medical tests done regarding your sleep habits and potential health problems. Fifth I wouldn't start taking any sort of medication without first meeting with an addiction counselor and discussing this whole matter with your doctor explaining to him about your addiction as well.

I congratulate you on doing what is probably the hardest thing you'll ever face, acknowledging your problem, confessing it to your family, and now the third seeking help.

Well, I usually relish the chance to give health and emotional advice to strangers, I think I will simply suggest speaking to a qualified physician or counselor, getting into a program that works, and having good luck. The good news is that you are young. Hopefully far too young to have done any real damage to your health, family, or career.

Do you have Medical Marijuana in your state. There are certain strains that will really help you with this. I can help you with facts on Marijuana and what strains will help you most if you want. Just PM me.

He's just announced that he has become chemically dependent and you want him to switch chemicals?

Archived