Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WTOP: Virginia Attorney General seeks records of college climate scientist

Switchgear

link

By BOB LEWIS

AP Political Writer

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - Conservative Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli is investigating a former University of Virginia professor's climate change research.

The Republican is demanding papers from the university as part of an inquiry of whether Michael Mann defrauded taxpayers by seeking state funds for his research.

Cuccinelli dismisses assertions that manmade gasses are causing the planet to warm.

Ignoring the larger issues for a second, it would be good info to know how much it is costing the state to perform this investigation, versus how much was spent on the research.

It seems Virginians have elected a wingnut and will now get to suffer through what they have brought upon themselves. I'm sad for my state because I think this lunatic is just getting started. He's going to overshadow the governor and make VA republicans look like lunatics.

To be honest, the college classes I had where we actually researched, tested and presented/wrote up the results were the classes that best prepared me for life after college.

Does he think the prof has defrauded the state by using his position as a university prof to do research? If he got help from any of the students, they has probably prepared them for the real world better than many of the profs at the university. That is doubly true if he wrote any papers and gave them credit for parts with which they helped. That's resume material. Can I tell you how few resume's I have looked at which have experience with the stats packages used in the real world? I'm sorry, but Excel doesn't cut it.

If he willfully committed fraud in his research paid for by the state, Cuccinelli might have a point.

But in the absence of any actual evidence, this is top of the VA AG priorities?

Talk about abusing the law for political ends.

I am sorry, but after the thoughtful moderation of Kaine and Warner, the GOP has this peice of phlegm as its standard bearer.... the VA GOP is doing their very best force VA into becoming a thoroughly pinko commie haven.

He's a complete wingnut. Doesn't hesitate for a second to undercut his own governor, a fellow GOPer. His elected office is nothing but a publicity platform to make him a national figure.

In discussing this action he has used the term "Climategate". So there's no attempt at an unbiased investigation, he's not even pretending to cover up using his office for his personal agenda.

Maybe he could work on reducing the murder rate at Virginia colleges instead of trying to control the direction of research or allow overt discrimination.

I hope the AG has some reason to think that "fraud" was involved. Like the Prof "didn't do any research and took the cash to the racetrack" kind of fraud.

If he is going after the Prof because he disagrees with his scientific conclusions or methods, then this is a total asshat move, and scary as hell for scientific independence.

I am sorry, but after the thoughtful moderation of Kaine and Warner, the GOP has this peice of phlegm as its standard bearer.... the VA GOP is doing their very best force VA into becoming a thoroughly pinko commie haven.

The problem is more with the rest of the GOP forcing extremists on a moderate state.

I hope the AG has some reason to think that "fraud" was involved. Like the Prof "didn't do any research and took the cash to the racetrack" kind of fraud.

If he is going after the Prof because he disagrees with his scientific conclusions or methods, then this is a total asshat move, and scary as hell for scientific independence.

That's precisely why he did it. He's not hiding that, he's quite proud.

This. I really hope this isn't the start of a witch-hunt.

Only a matter of time before he hits immigration and abortion. Immigration will make or break him... if he can survive the backlash he'll be a GOP hero. Just ask AZ how easy it is... they changed that law in record time.

Question is who is worse for VA, Cuccinelli or McDonnell?

I don't know. Considering that the far right wing doesn't seem to be too happy with McDonnell and is pointing to Cuccinelli as being the example to strive for, there is some scary stuff going on in my state.

The problem is more with the rest of the GOP forcing extremists on a moderate state.

Wow.

I didn't realize you guys were FORCED to vote for Cuccinelli. I can't support that at all.

How'd they do it? Guns? Threats? Really good campaining? :ols:

Wow.

I didn't realize you guys were FORCED to vote for Cuccinelli. I can't support that at all.

How'd they do it? Guns? Threats? Really good campaining? :ols:

:ols: you know what I mean. They run the moderate conservatives out of town (Hell, they made Jim Webb change parties) and push their crazies on us. Personally, I prefer voting third party, but the unfortunate fact is, is that one of two people will win a given election: The Democrat or The Republican.

now the GOP is trying to force Kieth Fimian on us... again. That's why there registered Republicans like my dad who are voting for Democrats these days.

As HH mentioned this is the AG's whole reason, to try and intimidate people with whom he disagrees with personally or professionally.

And when he does get all the "documents" he and the other loons he works with will leak out various bits and pieces totally out of context as a further "proof" that climate change is some leftist/commie/godless hoax. Much like the Climategate nonsense that turned out to be a few mistypes and grouchy remark or two.

Out of control lawyers and politicians are the bane of our existence right now.

Archived