Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2010 Major League Baseball Thread

StillUnknown

Braves reveal new way to celebrate walk-off

Instead of greeting McLouth, players headed to clubhouse

04/21/10 6:41 PM ET

ATLANTA -- While mulling around his house Wednesday morning, Matt Diaz received a call from former teammate Greg Norton, who wanted to know if he had been given some credit for the unique celebration the Braves staged after Nate McLouth hit his 10th-inning walk-off homer against the Phillies on Tuesday night.

Norton, who is a hitting coach for the Marlins' Triple-A organization in New Orleans, did not get full credit. But his former Atlanta teammates confirmed he was one of the masterminds who had developed the idea for every player to head toward the clubhouse instead of rushing the field to stage yet another of those mob celebrations that now take place at the plate following walk-off homers.

"It's tiring watching all the jumping around," Diaz said. "The whole point was to kind of make a mockery of the mockery that the whole walk-off celebration has become. We wanted to walk off the walk-off."

Three days after Andre Ethier had doomed them with his Aug. 6 walk-off homer at Dodger Stadium, the Braves devised this plan during their lengthy journey to Los Angeles International Airport. Diaz, Norton and David Ross were discussing who provided the best pimp job following a home run.

After Diaz suggested Paul O'Neill, the conversation continued to develop to the point that Ross said it would be cool for a team to act like a walk-off homer wasn't a big deal. Brian McCann and McLouth jumped into the discussion at this point, and a short time later, they decided that they would all head back to the clubhouse after the next time a Braves player hit a walk-off homer.

"It didn't show anybody up," Ross said. "I don't think it was disrespectful. It was just something fun to do."

Remembering the plan, McLouth looked back toward the dugout as he neared second base and saw his teammates and coaches being herded down the dugout steps by McCann and Diaz. Not informed of the plan, manager Bobby Cox said, "I saw the guys heading down the stairs, so I just grabbed my stuff and went with them."

"Mac took the lead [Tuesday] night, clearing guys out of the dugout," Diaz said. "I only had to catch one guy -- Martin Prado. Mac put up a human wall. The best part was I looked down in the tunnel and Bobby was there. I was like, 'No way, it could not have worked any better.'"

Originally, Ross thought it would be best for every player to go all the way to the clubhouse before celebrating with the player who hit the walk-off. But he was still pleased with the effect that was created when each of the players stopped at the bottom of the dugout stairs to greet McLouth.

"In my mind, it would have been in the locker room," Ross said. "But everybody just stopped right there. It was unbelievable. It was just so cool. You just look back and think about what Nate did, and only the bat boy was out here. It was hilarious."

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100421&content_id=9470866&vkey=news_atl&fext=.jsp&c_id=atl

What do you guys think of this? The A-Rod vs Dallas Braden story:

Braden's big beef: In the sixth inning of the A's 4-2 victory, Rodriguez went from first to third on a foul ball by Robinson Cano(notes). His trip back to first took him right over the pitcher's mound, an unspoken no-no that ticked Braden off right away.

After a double play ended the inning, the 26-year-old pitcher immediately started yelling at A-Rod — watch it here — who claimed he didn't know he had done anything wrong

He also claimed he didn't know Braden was talking to him at first.

Said Rodriguez:

"He just told me to get off his mound. I was a little surprised. I'd never quite heard that. Especially from a guy that has a handful of wins in his career ... I thought it was pretty funny actually."

Said Braden:

"He should probably take a note from his captain over there and realize you don't cross the pitcher's mound in between an inning or during the game. I was just dumbfounded that he would let that slip his mind — being someone of such status."

"I don't care if I'm Cy Young or the 25th man on the roster, if I've got the ball in my hand and I'm on that mound, that's my mound ... He ran across the pitcher's mound foot on my rubber. No, not happening. We're not the door mat anymore."

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Dallas-Braden-blasts-A-Rod-for-breaking-unwritte?urn=mlb,236110

OK, Skip Bayless just proved he's on drugs. He said that he'll take Ryan Howard over Albert Pujols. Skip actually said that Howard is more clutch. Did he not see last years World Series? I like Howard, but he strikes out way too much for my taste, even though his strike outs have been down this year.

OK, Skip Bayless just proved he's on drugs. He said that he'll take Ryan Howard over Albert Pujols. Skip actually said that Howard is more clutch. Did he not see last years World Series? I like Howard, but he strikes out way too much for my taste, even though his strike outs have been down this year.

I don't listen to anything Skip says. He always like to take the extreme opposite side of what everyone else believes. Pujols is the best player in the game right now and we'll retire as one of the all-time greats.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2010/04/27/2010-04-27_yanks_feel_right_at_home_at_camden_yards.html

New York Yankees should feel right at home vs. struggling Baltimore Orioles at Camden Yards

BY Jesse Spector

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Tuesday, April 27th 2010, 1:44 PM

Phil Hughes aims to keep his unbeaten record intact Tuesday night at Baltimore's Camden Yards. The Yankees begin the final series of a three-city road trip on Tuesday, but it's likely that they'll feel right at home as they take on the last-place Baltimore Orioles at Camden Yards.

In six home dates so far, the Orioles have drawn an average of 20,941 fans. Take away the nearly 49,000 who came to Baltimore's home opener, and the average crowd on once-jammed Eutaw Street has been 15,351. The numbers figure to rise this week, largely because Baltimore will spend the next three days masquerading as the South Bronx. The really South Bronx.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2010/04/27/2010-04-27_yanks_feel_right_at_home_at_camden_yards.html#ixzz0mKXtRkVk

I find it amusing that folks haven't figured out yet that Bayless is a moron. He's also on the Tebow bandwagon. Go figure. He's entertaining. But he's way off on alot of stuff. Sometimes I think that is by design.