Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2010 Major League Baseball Thread

StillUnknown

So Chris Coghlan of the Marlins could be out awhile with a torn meniscus. The cause? Jumping to pie Wes Helms in the face after a walk-off victory.

I give it 3 facepalms :doh::doh::doh:

Just the other day I mentioned that the pie to the face thing was one of the dumbest things in sports. Might have even been yesterday. Then I see Garza get one in the face after throwing his no hitter. Now im reading this about Coghlan lol. When is this craziness gonna end?

heywardx-large.jpg
Just the other day I mentioned that the pie to the face thing was one of the dumbest things in sports. Might have even been yesterday. Then I see Garza get one in the face after throwing his no hitter. Now im reading this about Coghlan lol. When is this craziness gonna end?

Good win for Texas in 10 over Oakland

Lee still with 1 win in 3 games

This was actually his 4th start with us. I'd say this one was his best (he's pitched into the 9th in all four starts). And the one run he allowed was unearned, helped out by nobody covering 2nd base on a steal attempt. The throw was perfect and would have gotten the third out of the inning. And in the bottom of the 9th, Ian Kinsler popped out on a 3-0 count with runners on the corners to ruin Lee's hope for a W. You just don't swing on a 3-0 count right there...completely bailed the A's out. Lee was scintillating.

But Nellie took care of business with the walkoff in the 10th. Lee may not have gotten a W, but he was the real winner. Rangers now up 8 games on the Angels and 8.5 on the A's. And you were talking so much **** about this team before the season.

Edited by royallypwned

Ok so this was brought up in the Nats thread:

Since 1993, which franchise has been more successful, the Marlins or the Braves?

Marlins-- 1,333-1,453 2 World Series Titles, 2 Playoff appearances, 6 winning seasons, 0 division titles

Braves--1,617-1,168 1 World Series Title, 11 playoff appearances, 15 winning seaons, 12 division titles

So if you go by WS wins, its the Marlins. But overall success its the Braves. So which would you rather have? A team that gets hot every few years and wins, or a team that is consistently good, but doesn't always win the big one?

Edited by MattFancy

So if you go by WS wins, its the Marlins. But overall success its the Braves. So which would you rather have? A team that gets hot every few years and wins, or a team that is consistently good, but doesn't always win the big one?

As you alude, it really is a matter of how you measure success.

To phrase the question another way, how would you rather the next 15 years of the Redskins (or your baseball team, etc.) to play out:

2 Titles, 2 of 15 playoff seasons, .480 W-L record over the span

1 Title, 11 of 15 playoff seasons, .580 W-L record over the span

Aside: Imagine if the Marlins spent like the Braves...and actually retained their stars...

Edited by The Tris

As you alude, it really is a matter of how you measure success.

To phrase the question another way, how would you rather the next 15 years of the Redskins (or your baseball team, etc.) to play out:

2 Titles, 2 of 15 playoff seasons, .480 W-L record over the span

1 Title, 11 of 15 playoff seasons, .580 W-L record over the span

Aside: Imagine if the Marlins spent like the Braves...and actually retained their stars...

Yeah it really is a tough question to answer. I mean ultimately you want your team to win titles, but you want them to be competitive at the same time. I mean I'd take 2 titles in 15 years, but I'd also want a team that is good year in and year out.

If the Marlins actually kept those guys, who knows how many more titles they have. As soon as they win one, they rip apart the team. Seems like a strange strategy, but it works for them I guess.

Ok so this was brought up in the Nats thread:

Since 1993, which franchise has been more successful, the Marlins or the Braves?

Marlins-- 1,333-1,453 2 World Series Titles, 2 Playoff appearances, 6 winning seasons, 0 division titles

Braves--1,617-1,168 1 World Series Title, 11 playoff appearances, 15 winning seaons, 12 division titles

Braves, easily. Anyone that says otherwise doesn't have a clue.

Good win for Texas in 10 over Oakland

Lee still with 1 win in 3 games

Well, in fairness, they only care about how many games THEY win as a team while he pitches, not his record.

I think he's done a great job so far.

As for the question MF posed, I'd pick the Braves. I'd rather have hope year in and year out than an occasional run at a WS followed by years of rebuilding. As an O's fan though, I'd take either!!