Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2010 Major League Baseball Thread

StillUnknown

Now that we're into the 2nd half its time for trade talks to heat up.

The Blue Jays traded Alex Gonzalez to the Braves for Yunel Escobar. Its a 5 player deals, but those were the biggest names.

We gave them Jo-Jo Reyes too thank the lord! We have been trying to trade him for about 3 years now I can't believe someone took him. Also the deal includes two top 20 Blue Jays prospects to the Braves. What a trade 0 HR shortstop for a 17 HR shortstop.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5379421

Edited by Patrick86L

We gave them Jo-Jo Reyes too thank the lord! We have been trying to trade him for about 3 years now I can't believe someone took him. Also the deal includes two top 20 Blue Jays prospects to the Braves. What a trade 0 HR shortstop for a 17 HR shortstop.

I think the Jays got a good deal getting Escobar, I've always liked him, but he's having a down year this year. Alex Gonzalez is too streaky for me.

I think the Jays got a good deal getting Escobar, I've always liked him, but he's having a down year this year. Alex Gonzalez is too streaky for me.
I admit I was a fan of Escobar as well I as kind of disappointed we let him go especially since we traded Elvis Andrus away because of him. I think we ended up trading him because of some behind the scenes problems with his attitude in the locker room. I mean the guy has beefed with Bobby Cox of all managers on numerous occasions and gotten benched a few times. It's almost as if he didn't care that the team was winning if he wasn't doing good and it has affected his play on defense too which is unacceptable with his talent.

I admit I was a fan of Escobar as well I as kind of disappointed we let him go especially since we traded Elvis Andrus away because of him. I think we ended up trading him because of some behind the scenes problems with his attitude in the locker room. I mean the guy has beefed with Bobby Cox of all managers on numerous occasions and gotten benched a few times. It's almost as if he didn't care that the team was winning if he wasn't doing good and it has affected his play on defense too which is unacceptable with his talent.

Yeah he has definitely underachieved this season. He did seem to be picking it up a little bit lately though.

Yes, thank you for Elvis. He is awesome. :D

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AmSaQQ4MMUJ2ZYNR8TgHKNU5nYcB?slug=ap-all-starratings

NEW YORK (AP)—Major League Baseball’s All-Star game has earned its lowest-ever television rating.

The National League’s 3-1 victory Tuesday night on Fox earned a 7.5 fast national rating and 13 share. That’s down 16 percent from the 8.9/15 for last season’s game, a 4-3 win by the AL.

The previous low was an 8.1/14 in 2005.

Ratings represent the percentage of all households with televisions, and shares represent the percentage of all homes with TVs in use at the time.

maybe they'll stop putting home field on the line

Yeah, you're right about Reyes. Can't tell you how many times I've heard the guy's name in trade talks. Can't believe the Jays were dumb enough to take him off our hands.

I wouldn't get too excited about Alex though. Pretty sure he won't keep up the HR thing. He's now gonna be playing in a pitcher's park. And he's also considerably older than Escobar. That, more than anything, is probably why im not jumping up and down over this deal. With that said, I still think it was a good move. And one that had to be made. Yunel had enough time to get his act together. A change of scenery will probably do him well. He needs to mature.

Yeah, this is another reason im leary of this deal. But as I said above, it still had to be made.

One can only hope. That was one of the dumber decisions of all time. Selig is such a joke.

Ladies and gentlemen, the most unlikely cycle in MLB history just occurred. Bengie Molina...one of the slowest guys on earth, hit a triple to finish it off. He hit a single in the 2nd, a double in the 4th, a grand slam in the 5th, and the WTF triple in the 8th. Watching Molina run is so painful. :ols:

When he rounded first base, the commentators were going crazy willing him on the 3rd. It is well worth the watch on mlb.com when the highlights are posted. :rotflmao:

Edited by royallypwned

I wouldn't get too excited about Alex though. Pretty sure he won't keep up the HR thing. He's now gonna be playing in a pitcher's park.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/beware-the-jays-sluggers/

With that said, I still think it was a good move. And one that had to be made. Yunel had enough time to get his act together. A change of scenery will probably do him well. He needs to mature.

I think this is one of those rare instances where chemistry was the driving factor of a trade. The stories coming out about just how disliked Yunel was are staggering, and those tales were prefectly capped off when Gonzalez got a standing ovation when he walked into his first team meeting.

As far as skill goes, I don't expect more than 8-10 HRs out of Gonzalez the rest of the way, but I also don't expect to see noticable offensive or defensive dips from the level of Escobar. With no SS ready for the show in sight, it looks like we have AG for the next season and a half, with considerably less upside than Yunel. A win-now move where chemistry is the biggest factor...pretty unique.

Edited by The Tris

Sucks that he couldn't be the powerhouse O's! ;)

No joke, that was probably the strangest series of our season. We get swept at home in FOUR games by the O's. Then we come out of the break and win 3 of 4 at Fenway, 2 of 3 at Comerica, and then take the first one against our top rival. Just weird.

So why are the Phillies trying to trade Werth and get Oswalt? The Phillies problems most of the season have been hitting. Their pitching is pretty solid and Hamels has been pitching well lately. They just can't score any runs, so why trade one of your best hitters?

So why are the Phillies trying to trade Werth and get Oswalt? The Phillies problems most of the season have been hitting. Their pitching is pretty solid and Hamels has been pitching well lately. They just can't score any runs, so why trade one of your best hitters?

Dominic Brown makes Werth expendable.

FYI, "one of their best hitters" is hitting .227 this month with 5 extra base hits, no homers, and only 4 RBIs. He has a .636 OPS.

Because Werth is set for a big payday at the end of the season. They have Dominic Brown waiting in the wings who is dominating Triple A.

By trading Werth, you won't have his huge salary, you'll have Brown's small salary. Then you can add a top tier pitcher.

Then you hope that J-Roll, Vic, and Rauuuul actually re-learn how to hit.