Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2010 Major League Baseball Thread

StillUnknown

Most pitchers only go through the motions at bat."

Which means pitchers should be taught how to hit. Can you imagine the advantage you'd have with a pitcher that can hit? I understand that pitchers really need to practice pitching, but they should be taught how to hit well instead of "go[ing] through the motions"

Which means pitchers should be taught how to hit. Can you imagine the advantage you'd have with a pitcher that can hit? I understand that pitchers really need to practice pitching, but they should be taught how to hit well instead of "go[ing] through the motions"

MLB has about as many LEGIT MLB hitters as I can count on one hand. Even the guys who have the reputation for being "hitters": CC, Willis, Zambrano still hit to about the same OPS as Caesar Izturis, a no hit SS.

Micah Owings, however, can hit.

Pitchers are often fantastic athletes that spend time developing their craft, not flailing in the box. Many big time hitters were once pitchers and vice versa. Many scouts thought the Orioles were foolish to have that Ripken guy swing the bat instead of pitch.

But baseball is now all about specialization. The DH, the closer, the LOOGY are all a part of the game. The game has changed and the NL has not.

Considering nearly every pitcher has a BA under .200, the non-DH rule is pretty stupid

Why bother to haul him up there if he's just going to strike / ground / fly out

Let's also have Quarterbacks punt, abolish the 3 point line in the NBA and take away Helmets and masks in the NHL. It's tradition, after all. :)

I just don't understand why the pitcher has to be singled out. All those other things you mentioned in your tongue in cheek post make perfect sense (though I would love to see football players play both sides of the ball again).

The eight other players in the game play offense and defense. Why not the pitcher?

Oh, and a sick tag by Phillips.

Considering nearly every pitcher has a BA under .200, the non-DH rule is pretty stupid

Why bother to haul him up there if he's just going to strike / ground / fly out

teach them to hit so they DON'T get out!!! Pitchers get up there and look like they don't even know how to hit a ball. Instead of being like, "**** it, let's just not have them hit," why not FIX the problem???

Maybe it's the teacher in me....but everyone can learn!

MLB has about as many LEGIT MLB hitters as I can count on one hand. Even the guys who have the reputation for being "hitters": CC, Willis, Zambrano still hit to about the same OPS as Caesar Izturis, a no hit SS.

Micah Owings, however, can hit.

Pitchers are often fantastic athletes that spend time developing their craft, not flailing in the box. Many big time hitters were once pitchers and vice versa. Many scouts thought the Orioles were foolish to have that Ripken guy swing the bat instead of pitch.

But baseball is now all about specialization. The DH, the closer, the LOOGY are all a part of the game. The game has changed and the NL has not.

Tim Hudson was an incredible hitter at Auburn. Some of the numbers he put up were mind-boggling. And he's still a pretty decent hitter in MLB, as pitchers go.