Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WPC: Is Bradford still in play for Redskins?

JimmiJo

Sorry for such a long post - But I didn't want it to get split on different pages. This is from NFLDraftScout.com - and the info is probably more reliable than the people here who are flat out lying about studying film. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectsearch?position=QB&tag=pageRow;pageContainer&start_row=1

Bradford

Accuracy: One of the more deadly accurate passers in recent memory whether throwing short, intermediate or deep. Places throws in tight spaces when facing zones or splitting two defenders down the seam. Puts the ball on his man's numbers so he can make a play after the catch, whether the receiver is standing still or on the move. Anticipates receivers' routes very well, and doesn't have to wait until they make their break or get open. Accurate on fades into the end zone or behind defenses, although a bit inconsistent in trajectory on those throws.

Arm Strength: Tall, lanky player who doesn't own a cannon but has more than enough arm strength to be successful in the NFL. Able to fit the ball into tight quarters, especially in the middle of the field. Uses anticipation and accuracy to connect on deep outs; NFL corners may jump those throws. Will stretch the field vertically when needed.

Setup/Release: Decisive and quick with his release. Tight spiral on most every throw. Generally quiet feet, patient and poised, but may have gotten more gun-shy with an inexperienced offensive line if not injured in 2009. Willing to stand in and deliver against pressure before the injury. Throws from three-quarter slot at times, which negates his height advantage. Works out of the shotgun often but is solid with his footwork and balanced in drops. Good ball fake when in play-action, causes peeking corners to bite using a strong pump fake.

Reading Defenses: Able to go through progressions or looks off safety when in the pocket, but often hit the primary read or quick screen in Oklahoma's spread offense. Understands hot reads and where defense is vulnerable, but his lack of feel for backside pressure and missing late blitzers cost him dearly last season. Trusts his arm and receivers too much in tight spaces, and at times won't recognize dropping linebackers and late-moving safeties. Comfortable leading his team in tight situations and has adequate clock awareness, but should improve with more snaps. Coaches called plays for Bradford.

On the Move: Maintains square shoulders and places the ball on target whether throwing left or right. Keeps his wits about him (and eyes down the field) if pressure takes away his rollout, resets and delivers on time. Nimble feet in the pocket; able to create room for himself to deliver the ball. Drifts toward the line of scrimmage when rolling out to his left, allowing defenders to reach him more easily. Not a scrambler or very elusive as a runner in space, but is mobile enough to pick up first downs on rollouts if defense lays off.

Intangibles: Intelligent, high-character, well-respected player on and off the field. Quiet leader by example who doesn't panic but needs to vocally hold teammates more accountable. Lack of bulk and durability are major questions after missing of last season with a shoulder injury. NFL Comparison: Eli Manning, Giants

Clausen

Accuracy: Very good, but not great, accuracy on short-to-intermediate throws whether over the middle or on the sidelines. Receivers usually have a chance to run after the catch, though he tends to throw high when missing because of his delivery. Fades are generally placed where only his receiver can make the catch, though not always over the correct shoulder. Needs to consistently put deep throws on the outside shoulder of his receiver.

Arm Strength: Enough arm strength to make every necessary NFL throw, but requires great effort to do so. Good zip on crossing or out patterns to either side of the field when in balance. Places in the ball in tight quarters over the middle. Tries to throw too hard at times, and needs to take a bit off short passes and rely on his arm strength to deliver passes without a wind up. His 60-yard deep ball floats, allowing safety help to arrive.

Setup/Release: Well-coached pro-style quarterback with balanced footwork and nice ball carriage. Also effective out of shotgun. Puts strong effort into each pass, sometimes overthrowing. Winds up a bit when trying to unleash a fastball, allowing defenders to react. Drops right shoulder to get better trajectory on deep passes. Needs to better sell ball fake and pump fake to draw in defenders. Able to deliver the ball from different slots when needed, but also gets happy feet if line is struggling to protect him and will throw off back foot. His average height and tendency to wind up could hinder ability to get the ball through the line.

Reading Defenses: Regularly looks off safety before going to his intermediate or deep out. Tended to bird-dog his favorite receiver in 2009, however. Takes too many chances downfield, eschewing his underneath options and trusting his receivers but not acknowledging safety help over the top. Also throws late over the middle or across his body, which he won't get away with in the pros.

On the Move: Good footwork in the pocket, able to shift in any direction to evade rushers and create space and find a passing lane in which to throw. Keeps eyes downfield when pressured out of the pocket, and throws well running to his left or right. Able to run for first downs. Adept at sliding after a run but gives good effort to gain a first down or find the end zone. Needs to secure the ball better when scrambling. A bit late feeling backside pressure, but his internal clock improved this year behind a below-average line.

Intangibles: Fiery, emotional leader is willing to demand the best from his teammates. Intelligent player able to handle any offense. Tough runner who played through broken toe on his plant (right) foot in 2009. Maturity has been a question mark in the past, and he can get salty with coaches and teammates during a game, but no major concerns have arisen.

NFL Comparison: Aaron Rodgers, Packers

McCoy

Accuracy: Completion percentage benefits from many short throws and receiver screens. Puts those shorter throws where receivers can catch the ball, usually in a position where the receiver can make a play after the catch. Doesn't attempt a high number of intermediate-to-deep throws, although he can throw the intermediate out and the occasional line drive down the seam or sideline. Makes touch throws look easy while in the pocket or on the move but will float deep passes down the middle, often causing his receiver to stop or comeback for the ball.

Arm Strength: Improved arm strength over his career, and now has good zip on underneath patterns and short outs. Only adequate arm strength on deeper throws, although he can sneak a 40-yard rope into the end zone if he spots an open man. Inconsistent spiral on intermediate and longer tosses. Rarely throws into tight spots between defenders.

Setup/Release: Has only adequate height, but stands tall and balanced in the pocket to find passing lanes. Quiet feet when patient in his drop, but usually throws from shotgun. Willing to throw off back foot to get ball to receiver quickly, but that style gets him in trouble when throwing into traffic. Could be a bit more patient to sell ball and pump fakes. Good poise in the pocket and will stand in and take the hit. Inconsistent release, and will wind up at times allowing defenders to break on the ball. Missed throws tend to be high because he gets too anxious and forgets to follow through completely.

Reading Defenses: Intelligent enough to understand what the defense is giving him and take advantage of it. Patient enough to let deep routes develop. Usually throws to first read because he feels where defense is weak. He will take off if first option isn't available instead of going through progressions. Hesitates to make a read on QB sneaks, finding a sliver to get to the marker. Must prove he can survey the field after taking a snap from under center. Not always cognizant of double coverage, and will force throws to make a big play.

On the Move: Moves well inside the pocket, staying calm when pressured. Buys time with his feet, and is able to throw accurately on the run in either direction within 10-12 yards -- although he will lose his spiral. Loses accuracy past that point. Directs receivers into open areas while on the move. Picks up first downs -- and much more -- with his feet by displaying quickness and vision in the open field. Able to evade sackers and run through arm tackles, but is smart enough to slide or find the sideline when needed. Could be more patient looking for receivers downfield instead of tucking and running.

Intangibles: Good intelligence. Quiet leader with positive attitude who doesn't give up during games. Impeccable character. Plays tough; gets hit often whether running the ball and in the pocket but bounces back up. Teammates will play for him. College football's all-time winningest quarterback.

NFL Comparison: Jake Plummer, ex-Cardinals/Broncos

LeFevour

Accuracy: Runs a spread with a lot of four and five-receiver sets. High completion percentage reflects the offense's quick, short passes, but generally puts the ball where he wants to when set in the pocket. Good timing with initial receivers on stop routes. Puts the ball to the outside shoulder on sideline patterns and end zone fades. Accuracy drops when on the run, however; usually throws high or wide, even when square to the line. Must improve his ability to hit receivers on the numbers and leading them on crossing routes.

Arm Strength: Lean quarterback with very average arm strength. Floats deep balls down the sideline and over the middle. Steps into most throws but still does not put a lot of zip on passes over 10-12 yards. Deep outs are wobbly, late and inaccurate.

Setup/Release: Sets his feet after receiving the snap and usually throws from a balanced position. Adjusts well to poor snaps in any direction. Will get happy feet if his offensive line is leaky - but is tough enough to stand and deliver in the face of pressure. Resets his feet when possible if on the move within or out of the pocket. Fair quickness on his release. Sometimes tries to unload too soon, getting even less than on the ball than on his normal passes.

Reading Defenses: Throws from the shotgun almost exclusively and typically throws quickly to his primary read, which won't happen at the next level. Must learn how to read from the line and adjust while dropping back. Looks to sideline for pre-snap adjustments. Looks off the safeties, but not often enough. Will make poor decisions if not going to his first target - throwing late over the middle or forcing a ball into tight coverage.

On the Move: Fair mobility within the pocket, keeps his eyes downfield and will move around to find a passing lane. Accuracy and spiral is lacking when moving to his left, especially when he cannot reset his feet. Shows the awareness to dump off the ball under pressure. Tough former running back with some elusiveness and vision who will get first downs and more if unchecked. Uses his height to lunge for first downs. Puts ball in outside hand. Will tuck and run too quickly at times.

Intangibles: Four-year starter who helped the Chippewas become a bowl-worthy program. Well-respected in the locker room. Academic All-American for Region IV in 2008.

NFL Comparison: Charlie Frye, Raiders

This is from NFLDraftScout.com - and the info is probably more reliable than the people here who are flat out lying about studying film.

drinking-water.gif

Good links though. I do keep in mind those types of things when watching any "highlight" video of players. Pretty easy to make someone look really good with those.

I guess it really boils down to Campbell supporters wanting Oline with our #4 vs. those who know what is best for the Skins wanting a QB at#4:pfft:

I'm a fan of Campbell but I'd rather start BRENNAN than draft a QB at 4.

I can't believe I'm saying this but..Ok I'm waiting for the Gator's pro day...reason being Shanny has admitted he likes and spent time with Urban Myer the FLA coach during his time away frim pro ball...if Tebow throws well I wouldn't be surprised if we go Okung at 4 and Tim Tebow in the 2nd at 37..Shanny will have the inside info on Tebow and .he is big name guy too that would make Snyder happy.

if we go tebow in any round, i'm losing all faith in Shanahan/Allen

Okay, I don't think this is where I heard the stat, but it's another source that supports what I've heard.

http://www.csnwashington.com/02/11/10/Redskins-Draft-QB-Or-O-Lineman-At-Number/landing_redskins.html?blockID=179245&feedID=272

So you can see, your chance is better going QB in the first and Lineman second than vice versa.

Based on that Info a 80% chance of a first round offensive lineman panning out and a 65% chance of the second round lineman panning out I'd go two straight lineman especially when we are in need of them.

We have two top of the round draft picks. We are in position to get some of the best offensive lineman and are in a position of need in the same area. At #4 we are fortunate to have a realistic shot at getting okung as most reports are the chiefs will gobble him up at 5 if he makes it to them. We are fortunate to be ahead of them so I say we utilize it.

I liked the heath shuler trent dilfer argument someone made earlier. After the season was over I had no interest in any of the top qbs in this draft and wanted us to go oline because I didn't feel any of the qbs were worth the picks, I actually thought besides bradfords accuracy he wasnt much more then a mid round qb and thought clausen has already maxed out his potential and what you see is what you get. Now after spending so much time reading and listening about these guys your original views start to become skewed because you have become use to the thought of them actually playing for them.

On pure logic and instinct we go lineman at #4 and #37. If we can trade down at any point in the draft that is priority #1 unless the next remaining player at the position is a huge drop down in talent. I'm the biggest JC basher you will find but I'd actually rather build the line and let JC put up some decent numbers this year in shanny's offense and then draft a qb next year and either trade jason for decent value or have a qb battle. Worst case scenario is my boy colt brennan gets a shot if campbell has a rough season and we get to find out exactly what the hype is about.

Good links though. I do keep in mind those types of things when watching any "highlight" video of players. Pretty easy to make someone look really good with those.

Not trying to be a wise-guy, but are there any better sites for analysis? That just happens to be the one I've checked out predraft for the past few years.

I guess it really boils down to Campbell supporters wanting Oline with our #4 vs. those who know what is best for the Skins wanting a QB at#4:pfft:

That's a bit of a simplistic and self centered reply/point of view I think,(they do tend to go hand in hand though). I'm not taking sides,but there are also those on the board,(and amongst the fan base in general I'm sure),who believe that the oline is more important than QB right now. There are some of those who believe that while not a franchise QB,Jason Campbell will do for now until the Redskins can draft a QB that they believe will be a franchise QB,not just one who is ranked high in the draft. One doesn't have to be a "Campbell supporter" or "Campbell hater",(Lord I despise labels), to be a member of any of those two or other groups for that matter.

Not trying to be a wise-guy, but are there any better sites for analysis? That just happens to be the one I've checked out predraft for the past few years.

That's debatable. Though I do find that one to be at least one of the better ones where detail is concerned.

Based on that Info a 80% chance of a first round offensive lineman panning out and a 65% chance of the second round lineman panning out I'd go two straight lineman especially when we are in need of them.

We have two top of the round draft picks. We are in position to get some of the best offensive lineman and are in a position of need in the same area. At #4 we are fortunate to have a realistic shot at getting okung as most reports are the chiefs will gobble him up at 5 if he makes it to them. We are fortunate to be ahead of them so I say we utilize it.

I liked the heath shuler trent dilfer argument someone made earlier. After the season was over I had no interest in any of the top qbs in this draft and wanted us to go oline because I didn't feel any of the qbs were worth the picks, I actually thought besides bradfords accuracy he wasnt much more then a mid round qb and thought clausen has already maxed out his potential and what you see is what you get. Now after spending so much time reading and listening about these guys your original views start to become skewed because you have become use to the thought of them actually playing for them.

On pure logic and instinct we go lineman at #4 and #37. If we can trade down at any point in the draft that is priority #1 unless the next remaining player at the position is a huge drop down in talent. I'm the biggest JC basher you will find but I'd actually rather build the line and let JC put up some decent numbers this year in shanny's offense and then draft a qb next year and either trade jason for decent value or have a qb battle. Worst case scenario is my boy colt brennan gets a shot if campbell has a rough season and we get to find out exactly what the hype is about.

Who knows what's going to happen, but I'm pretty sure Shanahan is going to want his potential QB now so the new QB can learn the system asap. Putting off a QB for another year is just going to delay everything too long.

Clausen and Bradford have less questions going into the draft than Stafford and Sanchez did this time last year.

The one thing I really like about Clausen is he actually had to throw to covered receivers a lot -- definitely more so than Bradford.

Not sure how I feel about McCoy. I saw him check down a lot in college and let his playmakers do all the work.

Who knows? OT, QB... I'll trust the new regime on this one.

I'm a fan of Campbell but I'd rather start BRENNAN than draft a QB at 4.

Colt is pretty accurate himself. I have no problem with drafting a QB, I just don't see either of these guy's as an upgrade over JC or Colt IMHO. I actually see DF from CMU as the sleeper in the draft. Small School yeah, but alot of good player's come out of small School's.

If we dont get a QB at #4 then I hope either Sue or McCoy drop to us so we can trade back and get an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder and then get OT Bruce Campbell in the 1st and either RB Best or S Taylor Mays in the 2nd and in the 3rd get a OG.

Wanna bet? :)

What has he done to get himself banned? Or lead to get himself banned? Though i must say Halis, you did make some "DUMB DUMB gimme GUM GUM" remarks. Comparing Bradford to Russell, and suggesting we move Berry to Corner?

:saber:

What has he done to get himself banned? Or lead to get himself banned? Though i must say Halis, you did make some "DUMB DUMB gimme GUM GUM" remarks. Comparing Bradford to Russell, and suggesting we move Berry to Corner?

:saber:

kid,if you have to ask,then it's clear you need to read the posts,(one in particular),then consult with the rules. Rinse,repeat as necessary until you understand. I'll also direct you to jflow's post on this for reference as well. And that concludes this OT discussion in this thread,(which means we're done in this thread talking about it).

Now about Jason Campbell and......oh wait...wrong thread. :silly:

After seeing that information about each QB I am fine with either Bradford or Clausen, and actually may be leaning more to Clausen now.

Unless you have a the Ravens D of 2000 you can't win a superbowl now with an average QB. After 6 years it is very clear that JC is just an average QB. We need someone that can one day be on of the best in the league, these two give us a chance.

Here are the red flags for me for both

Clausen:

15-21 as a starter

Losses against Navy, Syracuse

Poor performances in big games, especially against USC

Superior talent at Wide Receiver

Questions about his personality

Thank you, as a Notre Dame fan, Clausen is not a winner at all.. he had some serious talent around him (offensively).. Losing to Navy is unacceptable.. Granted, Notre Dame plays the hardest teams in the country every year and they run a pro style offense.. but if the only stat that matters (as a lot of you have so exaustingly pointed out) is W's or L's then how in the hell can Clausen be on your radar?

Clausen scored points in those losses, though. It's not all on him.

But generally speaking, I find W/L irrelevant.

Can he get points? Can he sustain drives? Can he spread the ball? Can he fire up his teammates for a comeback? Is he not afraid to have the weight of the team on his shoulders in the dying seconds? Does he live for those moments? Can he take a hit and pop back up -- and not get down or frustrated?

Those are some things that are more important, I think, than W/Ls in college. You'd hope they would all work together, but... a guy who goes 0-12 but does all these things would remain on my radar.

I dont want Colt Mccoy. We already have an accurate, average-armed QB that played in a spread offense. Oh yeah, his first name also happens to be Colt as well.

With a fully healed shoulder, I would love to have Bradford. It would be a nice change of pace to have a QB who can complete a 10 yard pass without throwing high/behind, without a byron leftwhich-style windup.

Not sure about Clausen. Guy didn't win very much at ND. He has personality issues. He looks like an Ostrich. I'm just not sold on Ostrich-man.

Visual Evidence of above statement:

Emu.jpg

"I dont want Colt Mccoy. We already have an accurate, average-armed QB that played in a spread offense. Oh yeah, his first name also happens to be Colt as well."

Did you suffer severe head trauma in a car wreck today? Brennan played in the little leagues. Colt McCoy is THE MOST ACCURATE PASSER IN THE HISTORY OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL and he did it in the Big 12 South and in BCS bowl games against teams like Ohio State. McCoy has also WON THE MOST GAMES IN THE HISTORY OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL.

McCoy did all of this without a legit running game his final 2 seasons. Everyone knew what Texas would do and couldn't stop it.

Bradford will be drafted ahead of McCoy because he is 6'4" and McCoy is 6' 1 1/2" .............that is it........and remember, Drew Brees is just 6'.

Bradford lost every bowl game he ever started. His team played two elite teams his Heisman season and lost to both by double digits. Some QBs have the "it" factor you need to lead your team against the elites.....there isn't on ounce of "it" in Sam Bradford.

Factor all of this in with his twice injured shoulder and anyone who drafts Bradford is making a colossal mistake.

Unless you have a the Ravens D of 2000 you can't win a superbowl now with an average QB. After 6 years it is very clear that JC is just an average QB. We need someone that can one day be on of the best in the league, these two give us a chance.

Agreed. Look at the teams that made it to the playoffs this year. They all had established QBs with multiple Pro Bowls with the exception of the Ravens and Jets, who both had QBs drafted in the 1st round and look to be rising stars.

Anyone can get lucky and have one decent year but if you have a great QB, you'll have a chance every year. Nothing is ever guaranteed but a franchise QB will at least put you in a position to win year in and year out.

I don't know if Bradford or Clausen will be elite, but if Allen/Shanahan think they will be, then you have to take a chance. Scared money don't make money...

i have become much more crazy about this qb from Washington U that decided to stay for his senior season.his name is Lockler and probably would have been the number one rated qb in this draft had he come out.to me the guys coming out have too many question about them while we have areas of much greater need.i say get what you can and feild a team this year and then next year is the year to cut loose with drafting a franchise qb and the fas next year will be much more plentiful.i would have liked the Skins to sign D Robinson cb and traded for the safety Rhodes but this nezxt year is going to be a wash people.they put the best team they can on the field but they won't over extent to do it.they are looking to build more with the draft but with a bigger eye towards next years fa market.but whne they get done with next years team we should be a vastly better and stronger team with youth and talent.

We won't draft a QB this year and then next year we will surely need one after Jason has another craptastic season because he is in "another new system". You guys are delusional if you think we come out this year without a QB. The #1 most important position on a team is the QB and Allen and Shanahan aren't putting their tenure in the hands of the oldest rookie in the league: Jason Campbell.

Archived