Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP Insider: Carlos Rogers isn't happy with tender

TK

I don't understand what these guys expect (Los, Rocky, etc.)

Why WOULDN'T we tender them? Why would we just let them walk for free? They have to expect it.

Heck, we gave Heyer one and he doesn't even deserve a chicken tender.

It seems like there is an unlimited number of tenders we can give?

Exactly.

What should the team do?

"Oh here Carlos, we'll let you walk away for nothing to keep you happy! Have fun wherever you go and good luck!"

About 'Los saying he's not the only one angry, here's what Rocky had to say:

"I'm totally shocked that they didn't put forth a little bit of an effort. But I'm just stuck in a bind with this free agency thing," McIntosh said. "I felt like I put together a good portfolio these last couple of years. I showed up when I was supposed to and I didn't give anybody any problems.

"Even with all the coaching changes that I've had since being here, I've been a team guy, you know? I just wanted to do everything they asked me to do and I always work hard. But I guess that wasn't enough. I guess they don't count that for anything. I'm just disappointed in that."

"What can they say about me? Statistically, I'm proven and I'm consistent. I mean, what? They try to knock me down because of my knees or whatever. Oh, yeah, I missed a couple of games, but other than that I've been out there. I've always been to training camp and I've always practiced, so you can't say I'm hurt.

"And they dang sure can't say I'm a punk. Make sure you put that out there, you know, in terms of me being out there on the field and not being physical because I am. So there's nothing that they can say [negative] about me. It's tough because under this collective bargaining agreement, I fall under a restricted free agent. But if you don't want me, and you don't want to give me anything that's even close to fair, just let me go. Let me start over somewhere else."

Pretty strong words from Rocky there, who has literally never said anything inflammatory to the press since he was drafted, to my knowledge. Looks like he'll be getting his wish though, if we replace him with Dansby.

These guys also need to realize that being tendered CAN result in getting a long term contract. It just protects the team from losing an asset without compensation as they work on terms. And sometimes the RFA tag will help set a fair price by letting a player go out and see what kind of contract they could possibly get.

Pretty strong words from Rocky there, who has literally never said anything inflammatory to the press since he was drafted, to my knowledge.

Yeah definitely. He just knocked himself down a few rungs in my book. Fortunate for him my book means jack.

well...if the players association actually worked harder to get a CBA with the owners, then maybe none of the vets would be in this position now....not to mention they wouldn't have to worry about a possible lockout in 2011

Carlos can kick rocks. I hope we trade his ***. Call up da Lions, get their 3rd rounder and keep it moving.

I can see if this guy actually earned a long term deal, but he hasn't. He has 3 or 4 good games a year. He also has 3 or 4 horrible games a year.

I'd be unhappy if i were him too. This is an off-season where people are gonna get paid, and the skins are keeping him out of that market.

That said.... i've defended Carlos's ability for the past couple years, but he hasnt done enough to speak out like this at all. Prove you can be a starter and shut up. As it is you've made a career out of guarding the opposing team's second best wideout. So i'm sorry you aren't able to dupe any GMs right now into giving you a big payday, but hit the gym, the filmroom and the playbook. prove yourself, and you will get paid eventually.

+ 1,000,000,000

You're living in a country with 10% unemployment and record foreclosures Carlos.

No one's going to respond will to you whining about "only" a one-year deal worth millions.

Completely irrelevant to what Rogers is saying.
Yeah definitely. He just knocked himself down a few rungs in my book. Fortunate for him my book means jack.
Oh come on.

Rocky and Rogers get grief because they're expressing the frustration that a lot of players are saying across the league right now?

The system is working against them right now. That's all they're saying.

And I still haven't seen anybody address what Rogers said about the lack of team chemistry on the Skins.

Completely irrelevant to what Rogers is saying.

Oh come on.

Rocky and Rogers get grief because they're expressing the frustration that a lot of players are saying across the league right now?

The system is working against them right now. That's all they're saying.

And I still haven't seen anybody address what Rogers said about the lack of team chemistry on the Skins.

that's not all that Rogers is saying. He said he's upset that he's not free to walk away, which is what he wants.

Bruce Allen also has no reason at all to show loyalty to these players. These players need to have the mentality that they need to go out and prove themselves to this new staff. Why should they give him a new contract?

Surprised average players on a losing team feel they are owed something.

If Rogers spent half the amount of time learning to catch ball that he uses for complaining he'd be the best cornerback in the NFL.

In regards to his catching ability being a factor in trading him, as well as possibly pursuing Robinson to replace him, I'll post what I posted in the other Rogers thread to get some feedback:

That's [catching int's] going to be very important within Haslett's scheme. He wants to create a high pressure, turnover-machine type defense to go along with the Shanahans' (eventual) high-powered offense. Think saints this year.

His new defensive coaches told Hall that they wanted to get him 10+ interceptions. You think they want a guy across from him who, in the same circumstances, MIGHT catch two of those. Maybe?

I don't hate Carlos, despite his whining. But look at the phrasing above: "want to GET HIM 10+ interceptions". That's important, because they know if they put Hall in that situation, with their scheme, he'll reward them and come through for them by catching the ball, every time.

You want your scheme to put your players in a position to succeed. Maybe Haslett doesn't see Carlos as a guy who can succeed in the type of defense he envisions. I sure don't see it.

Ahh, I actually like 'Los. I think there is some potential for him to excel here. But Rogers is showing some major immaturity here. His situation here and now was created by his performance before and then. He needs to accept reality and kick some ass once and for all.

I disagree, i thing Los has hit his ceiling as far as potential. One of the most coveted aspects of a corner is the ability to catch ints. Sure, he has constantly been in position to get picks, but problem is he just doesn't have the ability to catch. Look at Hall. I think he has more ints as a Skin alone (20 games?), than Los has his entire career here.

The Redskins have Rogers in DC relatively cheap (I'm being generous given his inability to catch the ball) due to the system his player representatives negotiated. I never understand why these guys complain when their teams do things well within the established rules of the game.

If some of these guys played for the Patriots for the last 10 years, I wonder if they'd appreciate how easy they've had it in Washington.

Archived