Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bmore Sun: "Family" values: Bristol Palin to "play" teen mom on TV

MattFancy

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/zontv/2010/02/bristol_palin_secret_life_amer.html

I have long complained about films like "Juno" and TV series like "The Secret Life of the American Teenager" sending a message to teen girls that a fast route to love and popularity is getting pregnant. Since such media depictions are very popular, the culture seems not to want to think about that negative critique too much.

But now comes some art-meets-reality news that takes the issue to another level: Bristol Palin, oldest daughter of former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin, will make her acting debut on "The Secret Life of the American Teeanger," which airs on the ABC Family Channel owned by Disney. Way to go with those family values, Disney.

I am sorry, but everything I learned in media and cultural studies while earning a Ph.D. says that in putting teenage mothers at the heart of films and TV series and on magazine covers, you are at least indirectly celebrating girls getting pregnant. You can talk all you want about "educating teens" and "bringing attention to important issues connected with teen pregnancy and parenting," but one of the messages that some teens are decoding from such productions is that getting pregnant will make them "stars" -- or at least the center of their universe of family and friends.

And by the way, this really cuts hard against Sarah Palin's claims, which I have supported, that a politicians' kids should be off limits -- that the kids should have a right to as much privacy as possible.

No, Palin's daughter is now embracing the Hollywood limelight under the self-serving and empty claim that she is helping "to educate" others. If your kid needs Bristol Palin to "educate" her or him about teen pregnancy and parenting, your kid needs better parents, teachers, friends and patterns of media consumption. In short, your kid needs help.

And if Sarah Palin tries to say Hollywood's exploitation and the culture's celebration of teen pregnancy and parenting are a good thing, then Sarah Palin is a hypocrite. I can't wait to hear Palin's verbal jujitsu in trying to explain this one to Bill O'Reilly or Sean Hannity on Fox News.

Silly me, I thought family values conservatives like Palin didn't like Hollywood.

So what do you guys think of this one?

Did the author watch Juno? Whether you liked the movie or not I think it's safe to say it didn't glamorize teen pregnancy. I think the author's suggestion that ignoring an issue will make it go away is excessively naive.

And I personally don't care one way or the other what Bristol Palin does.

Does the article go into any further detail as to what Bristol will be doing or "playing" on this show?...I don't feel like reading the thing to find out lol :D...

According to ABC Family:

Palin will be playing herself, as one of Amy's (Shailene Woodley) friends at a music program for teen mothers. “The Secret Life of the American Teenager” debuted to record ratings for ABC Family in June 2008 and continues to draw the biggest audience in the history of the network. “The Secret Life of the American Teenager” currently airs on Monday nights at 8.

I do have a few comments on these nuggets, though:

I am sorry, but everything I learned in media and cultural studies while earning a Ph.D. says that in putting teenage mothers at the heart of films and TV series and on magazine covers, you are at least indirectly celebrating girls getting pregnant. You can talk all you want about "educating teens" and "bringing attention to important issues connected with teen pregnancy and parenting," but one of the messages that some teens are decoding from such productions is that getting pregnant will make them "stars" -- or at least the center of their universe of family and friends.

Too sweeping a comment, imo...sounds like they're saying the only way to have a pregnant teen as the main character of a movie or tv show is to show her in a 100% negative light, with her being emotionally abandoned, unloved, no support system, etc, etc...shown in some way to make damn sure teenage girls don't "get the wrong impression".

I don't watch these shows so it would have been nice to hear specifics as to why a show like "Secret Life Of The American Teenager" is doing more harm than good...examples from episodes, studies and research results, opinions from teens who watch the damn thing lol...all of that would have been more helpful than a blanket statement.

As well mentioning getting his/her Ph.D. as if it should automatically give their opinion unquestioned validity is pretty arrogant.

And by the way, this really cuts hard against Sarah Palin's claims, which I have supported, that a politicians' kids should be off limits -- that the kids should have a right to as much privacy as possible.

How so?...Apparently Bristol is old enough to make these decisions herself...this isn't Sarah calling up Disney and asking them to put her underage daughter into one of their shows.

No, Palin's daughter is now embracing the Hollywood limelight under the self-serving and empty claim that she is helping "to educate" others.

Why is it either "self-serving" or "empty"? What if that's what she is truly believing she's doing? Automatic derision doesn't help prove anyone's point.

And if Sarah Palin tries to say Hollywood's exploitation and the culture's celebration of teen pregnancy and parenting are a good thing, then Sarah Palin is a hypocrite. I can't wait to hear Palin's verbal jujitsu in trying to explain this one to Bill O'Reilly or Sean Hannity on Fox News.

Two things here:

1) Lazy debating tactic to put words into someone's mouth and then argue against how stupid those words are ("IF Palin tries to say...").

2) They completely gloss over the fact that there might actually be a valid argument for Palin (or anyone) to give as to the legitimate good this tv show might be doing. I don't know if there is one, because as I said I've never watched the show before...

Silly me, I thought family values conservatives like Palin didn't like Hollywood.

Again, blanket statements and automatic derision don't really help make anyone's point any stronger.

According to ABC Family:

Palin will be playing herself, as one of Amy's (Shailene Woodley) friends at a music program for teen mothers. “The Secret Life of the American Teenager” debuted to record ratings for ABC Family in June 2008 and continues to draw the biggest audience in the history of the network. “The Secret Life of the American Teenager” currently airs on Monday nights at 8.

Cool, thanks :thumbsup:...sounds like she's gonna do a cameo as herself, give the main character--and thus the viewing audience--some "sage advice" about being a pregnant teen mother, and then exit stage left lol. I'm guessing the makers of the show are thinking she holds some weight with their target audience? (I'm trying to figure out how she could...then again, I don't know who their target audience is).

Did the author watch Juno? Whether you liked the movie or not I think it's safe to say it didn't glamorize teen pregnancy. I think the author's suggestion that ignoring an issue will make it go away is excessively naive.

And I personally don't care one way or the other what Bristol Palin does.

I came here to express that exact sentiment. Did the author not actually watch Juno? The main character didnt become popular, she was pretty well shunned by everyone but her closest friends. It certainly didnt seem to glamorize teen pregnancy to me.

And, as the person before me said, I dont care at all what Bristol Palin does. I'm not sure why anyone would.

quite the generalization that conservatives don't like Hollywood.

And Bristol is almost 19- she is no longer under the "care" of her mom- she is an adult and can do whatever she wants. That said, then she will also be subject to more criticism, but that's fine- its her choice.

Kids under 18 should be off limits- Bristol is in a whole different ball game now.

Hmm....So she's in a show that demonstrates the very real, very severe, consequences of teen pregnancy.

Damn, that's stupid.

I'm glad I've never tried to help anyone, like my kids for example, avoid any of the mistakes I made.

Atrocious, evil hussy. Take your thoughts about helping other teens avoid your mistakes elsewhere. We obviously don't need that **** here.

I'm to the point where I would LLLLLLLOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEE to see a Palin presidency, just to watch the wailing and gnashing of teeth around here.

Smart move by the broadcaster. They created a made for tv movie that probably would get very little attention and/or ratings and by casting this young woman who most likely would never have gotten an acting gig without her last name they have generated notoriety, attention, and probably money.

Smart move by the broadcaster. They created a made for tv movie that probably would get very little attention and/or ratings and by casting this young woman who most likely would never have gotten an acting gig without her last name they have generated notoriety, attention, and probably money.

Right.

Because Disney is so famous for not being able to make money, or get ratings, without casting an already-well-known name.

Please.

Disney doesn't NEED names. Disney MAKES names.

Archived