Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wiz Fans Rejoice: Butler, Haywood and Stevenson to Mavs

skinfan2k

When I used to work at the Capital Center, the Bullets would average about 4000 fans unless one of the big teams came to town.

Blame that on Sue O'Malleys marketing scheme and Wes Unselds incompetence as GM/HC. Abe was a great man....who did great things for DC....but running a professional franchise wasn't his strong suit. Too much nepotism.....that went on for too long.

The definition of a sports town I was referring to was the one where sports writers talk about fans being knowledgeable and fans supporting their team.

Wrong again. DC fans are very knowledgeable about basketball. And they/we recognize crap.

It took MJ coming to town to get any kind of support from a season ticket perspective. Truth is this town only cares about the Redskins, unless the other teams are winning.

MJ was just another novelty. You are right about DC being a frontrunning town.....except for the Skins. See the Caps/Nats.

Great article. Bias is/was my personal all time favorite. Still think he would have made Jordan his *****.

Add in Baltimore and we have the best high school talent in the country.

Give DC a winning/respectable professional franchise....with a better image....and you will see sell-outs.

Len Bias is a horrible finishing story and he and Reggie Lewis would have made Boston's dynasty likely continue but MJ still would have been the best player in the league because he had more motivation than anyone else. Anything he could interpret as a slight, he took as one and went out and dominated the competition. Maybe not the same # of championships but still 30 5 and 5 a game at over 50% shooting along with being one of the best perimeter defenders ever.

IMO its a good trade , what this team needs is defensive players while gooden is decent on the defensive side Josh Howard I believe is a tremendous defender . I love Caron and Haywood but caron was not the best defender.

Howard is a 3 month rental. Nothing more.

I'm down with blowing this up. Unfortunately there is zero chance Gil's contract is voided. So we're stuck with him.

You really think he's going to give up tens and tens of millions of dollars? He will never get a contract like that again. Whether he wants to be here or not, cash rules.

I agree with you. "Wanting to be here" is nothing in the face of never landing another deal of that magnitude. The numbers we are talking about here are too large for Gilbert to make such a stupid decision. The only way he doesn't get paid is if his contract is voided.

I think I am in the minority when I say that I like Butler and he is my favorite player....then again I can't say he was doing much. Haywood is a good center...but more of the same. Elated if we get rid of Stevenson. And yes we need to get rid of the cancer that is Arenas.

I like Josh Howard a lot. He was ten times better though 4 years ago. He's 29 now, much older than I thought. Drew Gooden is Drew Gooden - average. I don't know what else we get, I hope it's that point guard Beaubois.

Frankly this team needs a lot of help and we aren't going to win a championship until at least 2018 - ha ha who am I kidding. More like never probably.

I'm not crazy about this trade. Ernie gives up our two best assets and doesn't get back any prospects or picks!?! If he were getting rid of Jamison I would like the deal a lot more. Despite being a good guy, Jamison will never be a "star" on a good team because he is so bad defensively and takes so many bad outside shots offensively. I really think Ernie could have gotten a better deal than this.

LOL. Isn't that what makes a good trade, both teams feeling ripped off? ;)

Well the Wiz need something in return. Right now Dallas is giving up trash with expiring contracts for good players with expiring contracts. Pointless. The longer this trade talk carries, the more of a chance this trade could change. :)

I hope you aren't referring to Josh Howard as trash. ;)

Everyone knows that 2006 finals was blatantly rigged. It couldn't be more obvious that the NBA robbed the Mavs of a title. Just thinking about that bull**** pisses me off again. And it's not just me complaining and ****ing about this. Ask RP. Ask noted columnist Bill Simmons. There was no contact on Wade yet he's "fouled" simply because of stature. BECAUSE HE'S A SUPERSTAR. What the ****?

I will never get over that. From that series on, the Spurs, Rockets, and Lakers were no longer my most hated teams. It was the cHeat. It will remain that way until the Mavs can get back to the Finals and not have a championship robbed from them.

So I am hearing the deal is finalized.

Dallas definitley wins the trade, sadly. If it was Josh Howard of three or four years ago it would be a different story.

Deal is: The Washington Wizards have reportedly agreed to terms with the Dallas Mavericks to send Caron Butler, DeShawn Stevenson, and Brendan Haywood to the Mavs. The Wizards will receive Josh Howard, Drew Gooden, James Singleton, and Quinton Ross.

Basically a salary dump for the Wiz. I don't even know if Josh Howard is playing, think he is injured. *edit* Nah he is playing. Was coming off that ankle surgery.

Archived