Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WPC: Did Redskins just lose their London game? (updated)

JimmiJo

4-12 Redskins vs 7-9 Jaguars to me doesn't seem like it would've generated that much interest, we have no face of the franchise (I don't think people overseas want to see a coach), and who does the Jag's have. Could you image a huge banner with Campbell on it at the stadium.

I think you are a little miss informed . The Redskins as has been said are not new to the UK . I think the first superbowl broadcast in the UK was the Dolphins Redskins . Because of that the Skins have always had decent support over here .

I was supprized that the Chargers/Saints game sold so well . Neither team have heratigde here, neither have really been mega sucessful for the TV audience and neither are really tourist teams (like the Dolphins/Tampa Bay)

I will be kind of disapointed if the Skins do not make it over, but then it would all depend on the ticket allocation method . The lottery they used for the first two games worked okay but then they simply opened the flood gates for the Pats game .

If we were to ever play in London this might be a good year for it. I would hate to see a season with real potential get screwed up with a game in the UK. We have quite a few posters here in England, why not give them a chance to see the team live?

Agreed. Let's get it over with.

Why do you guys think travelling to London would screw up a season?

Do you know what affect it had on the Giants they year they came to London? Look it up.

Extra flying time from DC to London compared to DC to Jax is only an hour or two max and the teams do get a guaranteed bye the week after.

I DO spend my hard earned £'s coming to the US to see the Skins, regularly and I have supported the Skins since 1982, the year the the first live Superbowl was shown in the US.

The international series makes perfect sense commercially, for all the teams involved.

Is there any particular reason that you dislike playing in London, given the Redskins have only played over here once in the World Bowl to a sell out crowd back in the 1980's . I know you are a narrow midded biggot but try and understand that there is an installed fan base in the UK . It is not that they are trying to develop an untapped fresh market they are seeing if people in the UK have a thirst for the live game . Given we pay probably double what the average ticket is in the states i would say the fans in Europe should not be treated with the distain you obviously spew . The travel is no more than a cross country trip and no team has seemingly suffered from travelling to the UK .

Why should any team have to travel that far so you get a live game. Why should any team have to give up a home game so you get a live game. Want to watch Redskins football, do it via streaming video on the internet or buy a plane ticket and come to Washington and watch the game.

Both teams loose, especially the team who technically has 9 away games to play in horrible weather.

Those London games are not good anyway. The matchups stink. If they are going to have games abroad, they should feature two consistently competitive teams in order to really showcase the excitement of the NFL. Neither Washington nor Jacksonville fit that description. :(

As long as we don't lose London Fletcher, I'm fine with it. He's the only London that matters.

LOL that reminds me of the first London game where the players were asked if they knew where London was. One of them went "Well, I know there's London Fletcher and he plays for the Skins"

Some of these might be rather tenuous justifications but hear me out. You’ve got to think that there are probably maybe a quarter of each team’s roster (maybe more) who have never been outside the US. It’s another experience for the players, one that won’t necessarily improve them as players but a beneficial experience none the less. I think a previous poster commented that it didn’t do the 07NYG any harm coming over and I haven’t heard a bad word said about the experience from Cam Cameron, Tom Coughlin, Norv Turner, Sean Payton, Bill Belichick or Raheem Morris. It also gives you (assuming the game is played in late October again) a guaranteed bye week in the middle of the season.

The Redskins are huge in the UK? I'd like to know how that started - I mean it's nice it's just something I'd like to know how come it's the Redskins

First two superbowls broadcast over here featured the Skins - 82 was the first year of consistent coverage - plenty of Dolphins fans here too.

it's called the NATIONAL football league for a reason...why they feel the need to play games overseas is beyond me. I get that it's $$$ and that's all they care about. This really burns me up!

National Football League but yet the winners of the Superbowl are called World Champions? It's semantics.

NFL announced one of the London games:

Denver/San Fran 10/31.

Still working on the 2nd one.

@NFLfootballinfo (via Twitter)

That's interesting.

Alistair Kirkwood (the head guy at NFLUK) said there was a good possibility that there could be an intra-conference game this season (all the previous three were inter-conference games).

What NFC (non NFCE) teams host the Redskins this year? Bears, Lions and Rams. Not sure if that makes it more or less likely for the second game.

Archived