Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WPC: Did Redskins just lose their London game? (updated)

JimmiJo

Thank you for keeping it simple. I would have never been able to follow. :doh: Doesn't mean I have to agree or like it. This is America's game' date=' it should be played here.[/quote']

I said in my post I understood you don't have to like it - I get that. But you have to understand the business logic like it or not.

By the way if it's Americas game stop calling the Super Bowl winners World Champions.

Why? Players come from all over the world to play' date=' hence, world champs. The best of the best.[/quote']

As i've said before, it's semantics. But the term World Championships over here is met with a certain amount of mockery. It's laughable to be honest. The fact that players from around the world play in the league is a non-issue. Do Premier League teams call themselves World Champions when they win the league in England? Of course they don't. And the nationalities in the PL are far more diverse than anything seen in the NFL.

As i've said before, it's semantics. But the term World Championships over here is met with a certain amount of mockery. It's laughable to be honest. The fact that players from around the world play in the league is a non-issue. Do Premier League teams call themselves World Champions when they win the league in England? Of course they don't. And the nationalities in the PL are far more diverse than anything seen in the NFL.

That's hardly an analogous situation. Other nations besides England play football at a high level, whereas nobody outside the U.S. plays football at a high level, except maybe Canada, and they can't even get the number of players or downs right. :silly:

Seriously, do you think if the Super Bowl winning team offered to play anybody else in the world, that anybody outside the U.S. could beat them? Ever?

That's hardly an analogous situation. Other nations besides England play football at a high level, whereas nobody outside the U.S. plays football at a high level, except maybe Canada, and they can't even get the number of players or downs right. :silly:

Seriously, do you think if the Super Bowl winning team offered to play anybody else in the world, that anybody outside the U.S. could beat them? Ever?

Fine - then they're the best in the world. No qualms from me there. But World Champions (or Champions of the World) suggests such a game has been played, which it hasn't. And that's not to mention the insularity of calling it America's Game or "National" Football League.

It just seems such an un-necessarily ceremonious title when Superbowl Champions would be far more apt.

Essentially i'm just knit-picking and playing devil's advocate. Just explaining the justification behind the amusement outside of the States ;)

Why? Players come from all over the world to play' date=' hence, world champs. The best of the best.[/quote']

I was joking about that to be honest I could care less if you call the winners World Champs. It is a slightly strange position though to claim the game as US only but to embrace the world when it comes to naming your winners.

Archived