Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WPC: Did Redskins just lose their London game? (updated)

JimmiJo

Personally, I'm split on the Redskins playing overseas.

I can see both sides of the argument.

For the VAST army of Redskins fans in the UK, and make no mistake, we've always had a real strong fan base here, it would be a fantastic experience for one and all. And the crowd would be a sea of burgundy and gold.

But, even though I'm UK based at present, I sway toward not having my team travel lock stock, often on a short work week, overseas to suit the mighty $.

I'm with this 100%. Those are my views exactly.

As long as it's a Jax home game and not a Skins homegame, I'm fine with it - in fact, based on my experiences in London, the crowd will probably be partial to the 'Skins, so it might be like a 9th home game for us.

Man, I wish I wasn't a broke grad student. London is an amazing city and this would be a great excuse to go over there. Hope to see the deal done.

I have yet to see any reasonable argument against games being played in London...

Are there any reasonable arguments?

I think its just the travel time and lag that comes from traveling overseas. It ends up being a short week for the following game along with (most likely) some players getting more jet lagged than others and it affecting their practice and prep time.

Outside of that, I don't see a reason why anyone would be highly against it. If the Skins end up going, why NOT have our team represent the NFL overseas (I would not have said that last year... haha I only say that because I feel this year, at least we won't be an embarrassment of a team and will actually play a good game most likely. Most likely...)

This kinda sucks for me...I heard the rumors about the Redskins playing in London and that was my excuse to make my first ever trip over seas! What's really bad is I am one of the planning members of a family reunion....and I already told the family if the Redskins get the London game, my only trip would be to the UK and the summer family reunion in Atlanta was OUT (for me)! So unless the Redskins get the second London game (if there is one) I guess I have a reunion to plan. Darn Jaguars owner..screwing up my London trip.

I think the Skins playing in Wembley would be fanstastic.

I've seen Tottenham Hotspur, Blackburn Rovers, Nottingham Forest, Celtic, and Beyer Leverkusen play at RFK.

International matches are good for business and it helps draw more fans to the product, even if the NFL doesn't actually put a team or two into Europe. There is always TV money and merchandise to sell.

You guys know that Real Madrid played DC United this past summer at FedEx, right? Real is probably the most popular sports team on the planet and they feel that playing in the States is important to expanding their brand. If it's good for Real then its good for the Skins and the NFL.

The Redskins are huge in the UK? I'd like to know how that started - I mean it's nice it's just something I'd like to know how come it's the Redskins

NFL games were first shown on a weekly basis here in the UK back in 1982 with a 'game of the week' highlights show. The 82 Super Bowl was the first one shown live and in full and. of course, that was the Redskins versus Dolphins game which was our first Super Bowl win.

With Riggins 4th and 1, the Hogs, Joey T etc a fan base was born. That was then built on as we were one of the elite teams for a decade. Look at the ages of many of us from the UK who are regular posters here and many of us date from that era.

it's called the NATIONAL football league for a reason...why they feel the need to play games overseas is beyond me. I get that it's $$$ and that's all they care about. This really burns me up!

You say that the reason for playing overseas is beyond you and then you say you understand its about dollars. I think you answered your own question.

I will try to keep this simple.

The NFL is a business. They want to grow revenues. The opportunity to grow revenues in their home market (the US) is pretty much tapped out. To grow then they have to find and expand new markets. This is why they are keen to build on the existing fan bases that exist in Europe by playing games there.

Make sense?

You don't have to like it but its good - and to be honest pretty basic - business sense.

I think its just the travel time and lag that comes from traveling overseas. It ends up being a short week for the following game along with (most likely) some players getting more jet lagged than others and it affecting their practice and prep time.

Outside of that, I don't see a reason why anyone would be highly against it. If the Skins end up going, why NOT have our team represent the NFL overseas (I would not have said that last year... haha I only say that because I feel this year, at least we won't be an embarrassment of a team and will actually play a good game most likely. Most likely...)

Usually, the two teams that play in London have their bye weeks after that game.

So travel time/jet lag shouldn't be a problem since they'll have two weeks before their next game.

Usually, the two teams that play in London have their bye weeks after that game.

So travel time/jet lag shouldn't be a problem since they'll have two weeks before their next game.

The jet lag argument is a red herring. From the East Coast the time difference is only 5 hours ahead and with professional training and preparation plus as you say a bye week following the trip its a non issue.

The only competetive issue would be losing a home game - if the scheduled game was our home game of course.

If we were losing a home game I can also understand why season ticket holders would be be pissed as they are losing a significant percentage of what they have already paid for.

It sounds like the Jags/Redskins game was what was planned but with teh Jags now not keen on coming the NFL are scrambling to decide if to try to find another match up or stick with one game.

Dissapointing for us UK based Redskins fans but thats life I guess.

The jet lag argument is a red herring. From the East Coast the time difference is only 5 hours ahead...
Where do you get five hours? Travelocity maps out seven hours and seven minutes from Dulles to Heathrow with no stops. I haven't checked, but I would think it's going to be significantly less from Boston and significantly more from Miami.

Edit: Oh, you mean time zone differences, don't you? Okay.

My bad.

Where do you get five hours? Travelocity maps out seven hours and seven minutes from Dulles to Heathrow with no stops. I haven't checked, but I would think it's going to be significantly less from Boston and significantly more from Miami.

My bad.

Also I think one of the things teams can do is to not adjust their "body-clock". I.e. Go to bed at the same time, wake up at the same time. It significantly reduces the effect of jet-lag.

My bad.

Yes I meant time difference. Travel times going to the UK are less than the schedules show because you get a tail wind and longer from the UK back to the US for the opposite reason.

I am glad that Dan is getting the message in regards to listening to the fans. He knows that there would have been a real problem from the stance that we are already getting screwed when it comes to home games and with the stupid preseason games charging for full price. It is just outrageous! Mr. Snyder is in quite a bind because there are a lot of disgruntled fans out there and there would be even more if there were a home game taken away. Plus, is there really a benefit to playing overseas other than attempting to spread a sport in Europe which has failed miserably? We should just make a pact with other countries; we won't spread football to your countries as long as you don't try to spread soccer over here. Football just isn't what other countries seem to clamor for.

Archived