Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2 interviews, 1 conclusion: Jason Campbell is not a leader

SkinsHokieFan

I disagree. Its in times of adversity where you see who the leaders are, and who the pretenders are.

This offense badly needed someone, anyone, to grab the bull by the horns and say "we got this. Lets go"

It didn't happen

Wrong, it did happen, but with all the injuries & shifting of OLineman & RBs all season, that leadership got lost in fray. Campbell is the one of the only guys who went out week in & week out & tried to make something happen for this team. No, he didn't always make the right choices or good decisions. Show me a QB that does that every week & I'll show you a man that walks on water.

But how can you not look at the guy peel himself off the turf every other down & not see that the man WAS leading this team? He was leading by example & with his heart. He's probably one of the few on this team that still has heart & each week, he went out & showed the rest of the team that heart.

If he wasn't a leader, then why didn't he just sit down after a while & say "enough is enough"? I'm tired of getting killed & I'm just going to let the pain take over & sit this out & let someone else take the hits!

People on here would go out of their way to say that London Fletcher is a leader on this team, but you don't hear stories about him getting in peoples faces either. Does that diminish his leadership skills? London was solid, but made plenty of mistakes as well. Does that mean he sucks & shows no leadership qualities?

Doc gave an earful today on Jason..tell em how you really feel! lol I tend to agree, to sit by and keep doing it over and over knowing it's going to make you look like a fool and not be successful, and not speak up for yourself, have a fire lit, get results, talk to whomever you need to until they get it....instead you sit there like a rented mule and take it smh he just doesn't have it in him.

If he wasn't a leader, then why didn't he just sit down after a while & say "enough is enough"? I'm tired of getting killed & I'm just going to let the pain take over & sit this out & let someone else take the hits!

Agree with his heart, toughness and work ethic. I will never question those 3 things about Jason Campbell.

But in times of adversity, when its clear there was no leadership on the offensive side of the ball, Jason failed to step up and be that man. However, whatever, criteria you use to define a leader, Jason didn't do it.

And you need your QB to be that man, regardless of what is going on around him

If you remember in that aritcle the reporter talked about how unusual that JC almost let his guard down when he make the one comment "unfair".

And you don't think it was unfair for Cerrato to say he addressed the o-line problem with by signing a 32nd ranked LG and a guy who hadn't played in 3 years. You don't think it was unfair that Cerrato then admitted that he didn't think Thomas could last 16 games, yet he thought Samuels would when Samuels hadn't played an entire season in 3 years. JC could have and should have been a lot more vocal on the subject of unfair.

So could a lot of players.

Did you hear Jason say it was his responsibility to help the linemen? His responsibility to help them play better and succeed? That's exactly what Chris Samuels said.

That's called leadership.

Jason Campbell could use a little more Denzel Washington in him. Like in that movie "Remember the Titans".

Maybe Campbell just feels like he needs to have a few Pro Bowls on his resume before he can be a vocal guy like Chad Ochocinco or whatever. Well, maybe not that vocal. :)

I say this ... why wait? Campbell should walk and talk like he is a Pro Bowl quarterback before he makes it to the Pro Bowl and he just might really do it in a year or two. You gotta believe you can do it. Then the odds usually go up that you will do it. That's what Denzel Washington would say in the movie.

In fairness to Campbell, as Cooley pointed out, it is hard to be a leader of a team that tried so hard to get rid of you.

Gibbs wanted to get rid of Theismann too, but Theismann responded not only by having a heart-to-heart with Gibbs, but actively organizing 7 on 7s during the 1982 strike -- 9 games -- which may well have been futile had the season been lost. I want that kind of guy. A leader steps up whether he's the subject of trade rumors or not.

Agree with his heart, toughness and work ethic. I will never question those 3 things about Jason Campbell.

But in times of adversity, when its clear there was no leadership on the offensive side of the ball, Jason failed to step up and be that man. However, whatever, criteria you use to define a leader, Jason didn't do it.

And you need your QB to be that man, regardless of what is going on around him

I think those 3 things are all you can take from this. The team has been in such disarray for long enough that they didn't know which end was up. I don't know what more anyone could have asked from him. To be more accurate? Sure. To get rid of the ball faster? Ok. But to say that he didn't step up & lead this team? That's just ludicrous.

Even Fletcher's leadership got lost in the elements. Why didn't he slap LL around for letting 2 TDs go right past him? Why wasn't he all up in the faces of others on defense that weren't "stepping up"? Why wasn't he shutting Big Al up when he was running his mouth?

There are FAR too many things wrong with this team, IMHO, for anyone's leadership to have made an impact. As I have said, there is only so much that one person can do, even as the QB.

So you are referencing SoCalSkins and not a coach, player or media source. :hysterical:

BTW, I don't remember SoCalSkins and I even having this particular discussion. What few discussions we have had have been about Jason's moral character.

If you remember in that article the reporter talked about how unusual that JC almost let his guard down when he make the one comment "unfair".

And you don't think it was unfair for Cerrato to say he addressed the o-line problem with by signing a 32nd ranked LG and a guy who hadn't played in 3 years. You don't think it was unfair that Cerrato then admitted that he didn't think Thomas could last 16 games, yet he thought Samuels would when Samuels hadn't played an entire season in 2 years. You don't think it's unfair that JC has had 10 different starting o-line combinations in front of him this year. You don't think it's unfair that he has had 5 different starting right guards. JC could have and should have been a lot more vocal on the subject of unfair.

I don't think anybody will argue that Ceratto didn't screw up big time when it came to addressing the OL depth. We all knew going into last offseason this was a real problem.

But I agree that JC has not once stood up and taken some of the blame for the offensive problems. He is Jamarcus Russell 2.0. Sure he is in a bad situation but just once it would have been nice for him to suck it up and admit that he should have hit that deep ball to a wide open Santana Moss. Or admit that throwing the ball straight into the ground for the most obvious intentional grounding penalty in the history of the league may have been a bad move on his part.

He can't leave fast enough for me. Getting picks as compensation would make it a national holiday in my book.

I think those 3 things are all you can take from this. The team has been in such disarray for long enough that they didn't know which end was up. I don't know what more anyone could have asked from him. To be more accurate? Sure. To get rid of the ball faster? Ok. But to say that he didn't step up & lead this team? That's just ludicrous.

Even Fletcher's leadership got lost in the elements. Why didn't he slap LL around for letting 2 TDs go right past him? Why wasn't he all up in the faces of others on defense that weren't "stepping up"? Why wasn't he shutting Big Al up when he was running his mouth?

There are FAR too many things wrong with this team, IMHO, for anyone's leadership to have made an impact. As I have said, there is only so much that one person can do, even as the QB.

On Fletch- The day we have 2 interviews with say D-Hall and Orakpo saying that Fletch wasn't the clear leader, we'll have this same thread :)

The QB though is the focal point of your offense, of your team. You expect him to be the guy that steps up and says "follow me" when all hell is breaking loose around him.

The QB though is the focal point of your offense, of your team. You expect him to be the guy that steps up and says "follow me" when all hell is breaking loose around him.

What did you expect from him? Parting the Red Sea? My God, some of you people have higher expectations for the QB of the Redskins then of the President of the USofA.

The coach was being stripped of his duties, new coaches & advisors were coming in to "help", the VP was off in LaLa Land NOT worrying about "sacks & stuff", Portis is Portis & was barely on the practice field....I mean, I just can't wrap my feeble mind around what you could have in your head as a reasonable expectation of a guy in Campbell's situation. You act as though he is the catalyst for all that went wrong here when you can clearly see that he isn't. We all complain about ownership & Cerrato & how bad they made things. We complain about coaching & how piss poor some of the play calling is. Yet Campbell is supposed to somehow correct all of the offensive ineptitude?

Geez, if your standards in women is anything like your standards in a QB, you are going to die a lonely, bitter old man because there are simply no perfect women out there.

Some twitters from Portis on JC.

Via Twitter:

@granthpaulsen

Moments after talking about being a great teammate, CP just threw Jason Campbell under the bus. He said 17 wasn't ready to be a captain.

@dcsportsbog

Portis, on why he's not a captain: "I wonder the same thing....You know Jason Campbell ain't gonna go tell the coach we need to do this."

@dcsportsbog

Portis: "No disrespect to Jason, but...I think Jason had enough trouble in getting the plays in [much less] controlling the huddle."

Via Twitter:

@granthpaulsen

Moments after talking about being a great teammate, CP just threw Jason Campbell under the bus. He said 17 wasn't ready to be a captain.

@dcsportsbog

Portis, on why he's not a captain: "I wonder the same thing....You know Jason Campbell ain't gonna go tell the coach we need to do this."

@dcsportsbog

Portis: "No disrespect to Jason, but...I think Jason had enough trouble in getting the plays in [much less] controlling the huddle."

Yeah, whatever. Like I said, I take what Portis has to say these days with a grain of salt. And for this very reason. He is all too quick to throw everyone around him under the bus.

So, the biggest bum we have on this team(Clinton Portis), whose concussion "excuse" is just a way for him to not play, says that Jason Campbell, who led by example is not a leader. You can question Campbell's ability, but he strikes me as a leader. Someone who leads by example, as opposed to being a loudmouth.

Yeah, whatever. Like I said, I take what Portis has to say these days with a grain of salt. And for this very reason. He is all too quick to throw everyone around him under the bus.

Just because a lot of questions have come up about Portis doesn't make his comments about JC invalid.

What did you expect from him? Parting the Red Sea? My God, some of you people have higher expectations for the QB of the Redskins then of the President of the USofA.

The coach was being stripped of his duties, new coaches & advisors were coming in to "help", the VP was off in LaLa Land NOT worrying about "sacks & stuff", Portis is Portis & was barely on the practice field....I mean, I just can't wrap my feeble mind around what you could have in your head as a reasonable expectation of a guy in Campbell's situation. You act as though he is the catalyst for all that went wrong here when you can clearly see that he isn't. We all complain about ownership & Cerrato & how bad they made things. We complain about coaching & how piss poor some of the play calling is. Yet Campbell is supposed to somehow correct all of the offensive ineptitude?

Geez, if your standards in women is anything like your standards in a QB, you are going to die a lonely, bitter old man because there are simply no perfect women out there.

What's his excuse for the other 2.5 seasons he was a starter?

If you have read either thread today, from 2 of our biggest "stars" on offense, there is one common conclusion you can come up with.

Jason Campbell is not a leader. Its not in his nature, thats just not the type of personality he has. Its no knock on Jason as a person, but more so a QB.

Cooley stated it was because he couldn't step up due to trade rumors and his contract status

Portis talked about Jason's personality not being rah rah get in someone's face. He is calm and cool and always the same.

Its clear that if your QB is not the leader of your offense, your offense is rudderless. When I hear that Casey Rabach tried to be a leader, all I can do is laugh.

This may be the biggest reason why a QB change is needed. Not the stats, not the short passes, but leadership

Since when do leaders need to be "rah rah rah" and in your face? Would you consider McNabb a good leader of his team? He certainly has no fire back there... he kind of laid back and joking around al the time.

Or how about Eli Manning? He leads well too and does not need to get all loud.

The common denominator I see in amny a detractors posts are the issue of said QB not showing "THEM" that they can do things. I dont have a problem with that. If the guy shows it to his coaches and team mates, I am not worried that he has not dropped by your house to reassure you.

Via Twitter:

@granthpaulsen

@dcsportsbog

@dcsportsbog

Bwhahahaha, well there it is guys.

You can be a leader without being a bully. You can lead people without beating them up. We aren't the Klingon Empire here LOL

Archived