Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2 interviews, 1 conclusion: Jason Campbell is not a leader

SkinsHokieFan

If you have read either thread today, from 2 of our biggest "stars" on offense, there is one common conclusion you can come up with.

Jason Campbell is not a leader. Its not in his nature, thats just not the type of personality he has. Its no knock on Jason as a person, but more so a QB.

Cooley stated it was because he couldn't step up due to trade rumors and his contract status

Portis talked about Jason's personality not being rah rah get in someone's face. He is calm and cool and always the same.

Its clear that if your QB is not the leader of your offense, your offense is rudderless. When I hear that Casey Rabach tried to be a leader, all I can do is laugh.

This may be the biggest reason why a QB change is needed. Not the stats, not the short passes, but leadership

Wow, could this have anything to do with the former coach?

How about the possibility of no direction from the 3 offensive coordinators.

Oh let's forget that he had career years in multiple stats while playing behind one of the worst OL in the league.

Nah it's all Campbells fault! Randon bench warmer rookie to the rescue! :silly:

Wow, could this have anything to do with the former coach?

How about the possibility of no direction from the 3 offensive coordinators.

Oh let's forget that he had career years in multiple stats while playing behind one of the worst OL in the league.

Nah it's all Campbells fault! Randon bench warmer rookie to the rescue! :silly:

I think there were lots of issues, I agree.

But someone with leadership skills would take the bull by the horns regardless of the situation and rally his guys behind him.

Its clear that didn't happen. Not in 2007. Not in 2008 during the collapse. Not this season.

Oh goodie. Yet ANOTHER "Let's find some way to bash Jason Campbell" thread. How original. :doh:

Just because Portis said that he was quiet doesn't mean he isn't a leader. Not taking away from whatever else he said, just commenting on what you posted right here. I haven't read anything else from Portis' interview so I don't know what else he said.

That being said, Portis has been a detriment on this team now for the last year. Not practicing, complaining publicly about coaching & other players...I take everything he says about anyone else on the team at this point with a grain of salt.

Serious this guy is killed mentaly by the FO.......I think his will to show that he is a good QB just went dead, he knows that even when he trows 30 TD Dan still wants a other QB. The guy feels that there is no support, that is killing him. He needs to get some respect for showing up every Sunday even when he already knows he is just waiting to get a shot in the head by Snyders gun. Probaly playing to show his 'talent' to the other teams.

Always had the feeling the Jason is a emotional and weaker mind, that's okey but not what ya need when you want to be a Redskins QB. Nowhere is the pressure so high as in D.C. I don't see him be a great QB, unless he finds a team that supports him 110%.

Edit:

I forget the Tim Tebow part.

If we want a leader bring in Tebow, he can handle more pressure then any persone in the world. He is the ultimate leader. (not the ultimate QB)

In fairness to Campbell, as Cooley pointed out, it is hard to be a leader of a team that tried so hard to get rid of you.

What about 2007 and 2008?

So your saying Eli is a leader and that is why the Giants won the SB?

Trent Dilfer on the Ravens?

Brad Johnson?

Rypien?

Williams?

In all of those cases there wasn't a leadership vaccuum on the offense that badly needed to be filled. Honestly though, I have no clue about any of them and their leadership abilities.

As for Rypien, he was a pumped up guy in 1991. Not only because of his great season, but you could see it on the sidelines and in the huddle. Same with Doug Williams.

On this team though, when it was apparent there was a leadership void on offense, the QB had to step up. And its clear he did not

JC has a true phlegmatic personality. Google it if you don't know what that means. Phlegmatics are not natural born leaders. They are sometimes called reluctant leaders if forced into the responsibility. The only point about phlegmatic that I disagree with is that they are lazy. They are hard to motivate but they are hard workers if they are passionate about the cause.

I've watched JC for 9 years and I've seen him be a real leader only one of those years. That was the 2004 Auburn team. Even Carlos Rogers commented on it in an interview this year about how Jason was yelling at people on that year and was a field general. How Al Borges manged to get it out him, I don't know.

I'm beginning to believe that an effective NFL quarterback can't be one who simply says I'm going to lead by hard work and by example. Portis is right on about JC's personality.

So your saying Eli is a leader and that is why the Giants won the SB?

Trent Dilfer on the Ravens?

Brad Johnson?

Rypien?

Williams?

I don't believe Eli was a leader, but I would classify each of the other 4 QBs you listed as leaders. Dilfer was loved by his teammates and WAS a leader despite not being that good. Same with Brad Johnson...we even saw that during his brief stay in DC. Rypien and Williams?? You better believe they were leaders (Williams more than Rypien).

JC has a true phlegmatic personality. Google it if you don't know what that means. Phlegmatics are not natural born leaders. They are sometimes called reluctant leaders if forced into the responsibility. The only point about phlegmatic that I disagree with is that they are lazy. They are hard to motivate but they are hard workers if they are passionate about the cause.

I've watched JC for 9 years and I've seen him be a real leader only one of those years. That was the 2004 Auburn team. Even Carlos Rogers commented on it in an interview this year about how Jason was yelling at people on that year and was a field general. How Al Borges manged to get it out him, I don't know.

Thats the thing, I don't think you will find ANYONE that works harder then Jason Campbell

Nor anyone tougher. He has those 2 intrinsic values that you need to be an outstanding athlete

However, part of being an outstanding QB is being THE leader of your offense. The same thing was said about Gus Frerrotte in the 1990s, that he wasn't a leader.

Lead what? We sucked, there was no way for him to lead by example because he was always on his back and the coach was "unofficially" fired the third week of the season. That doesn't mean he's an elite QB, but come on, there was nothing he could do with this world of ****.

Lead what? We sucked, there was no way for him to lead by example because he was always on his back and the coach was "unofficially" fired the third week of the season. That doesn't mean he's an elite QB, but come on, there was nothing he could do with this world of ****.

I disagree. Its in times of adversity where you see who the leaders are, and who the pretenders are.

This offense badly needed someone, anyone, to grab the bull by the horns and say "we got this. Lets go"

It didn't happen

In fairness to Campbell, as Cooley pointed out, it is hard to be a leader of a team that tried so hard to get rid of you.

That was this year. What about 06, 07 and 08?

When Drew Brees was about to be gotten rid of, he took control of his fate and his team and became a leader. If not for the shoulder injury, I wonder if Phil Rivers is traded instead of Brees being allowed to walk...

NFL: Redskins' Campbell in tough spot following coaching shakeup

"So much of getting Jason to play well was just trying to work with him from the neck up," said Borges, now the offensive coordinator at San Diego State. "We worked fundamentals and all that but just trying to get his psyche right, to convince him that he was a good player, the player people thought he could be, was how we got so much out of him."

"He has to know that you believe in him," Borges said. "When I got him after two years there, he was pretty beat up mentally. He played 'concerned.' Not scared, but he played like he was afraid to make a mistake, so he didn't play well. We had to get him to take a 'let-it-rip' mentality. If he made a mistake, I took the blame. Bad play call. Once he realized we believed in him, he played to his capability. He did whatever we told him to. We told him not to do certain things, he didn't do them."

This may be the biggest reason why a QB change is needed. Not the stats, not the short passes, but leadership

yah, that and he is terrible.

If you can perform on the field a lot of personality defects can be overlooked. Jason can't.

"But its the oline, its the oline!!!" :dunce:

Archived