Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2 interviews, 1 conclusion: Jason Campbell is not a leader

SkinsHokieFan

We've seen his lack of leadership on the field for 3.5 years now.

He seems like a hell of a good guy, but I've never seen him getting his teammates fired up on the sidelines when we need a comeback drive late in the game. I've rarely seen him adjusting sets at the line or reading the defense and audibling, he doesn't rush his guys to the line and try to catch defenses changing personnel, etc.

He doesn't inspire those around him. He's just not a natural leader.

Granted, neither was Zorn but still. Your QB has to be the leader of your offense on & off the field.

Doc said basically,that if he were Jason,he would have called more audibles out on the field. That Jason needed to man up and not let himself get "killed" out there. Maybe get himself benched,but don't let someone lead you in to darkness,(Doc wasn't complimentary to the coaching staff either). That if you're constantly being set up for failure and you keep doing the same thing anyway,that's not on the coach,that's on the player. Said he urged Jason to talk to Zorn about the way he was being used. Jason said he did talk to Zorn,but Doc said nothing ever happened. When Doc went off about how if he were Jason,he would have lived at Dan Snyder's house in order to get the team to change things. He would have forced the team to bench him. After John said Doc would get himself arrested,he said that Doc had heard that that wasn't Jason's temperament. Doc said that if that was the case,he wasn't the guy for the job.

Wow, could this have anything to do with the former coach?

How about the possibility of no direction from the 3 offensive coordinators.

Oh let's forget that he had career years in multiple stats while playing behind one of the worst OL in the league.

Nah it's all Campbells fault! Randon bench warmer rookie to the rescue! :silly:

Lets not forget that he has not lead this team to anything since he has started here. Lets not forget that we needed Todd Collins to get us into the playoffs. Lets not forget that he is averaging over 10 fumbles a year. Lets blame it on injuries because we are the only team in the league that has injuries. Geez when will you guys realize he is not made for any of the systems that we have used and I do not believe that is he made for ANY NFL system.

Wow, could this have anything to do with the former coach?

How about the possibility of no direction from the 3 offensive coordinators.

Oh let's forget that he had career years in multiple stats while playing behind one of the worst OL in the league.

Nah it's all Campbells fault! Randon bench warmer rookie to the rescue! :silly:

No, that's not what the 2 guys are saying or implying... they mean to say that the leadership asked of Campbell is not something he could ever give b/c of his nature/character. They in no way were knocking on him or blaming him for the losses.

Regardless, I thyink we can all agree that to be a QB in the NFL, you have to be that type of guy. The team needs to believe you have a plan and a QB leads them down the field. Otherwise, the QB is just running the motions of the OC. Speed on offense, IMO, comes more from the QB's leadership than the playcalling of the OC or HC.

Look, if any of you guys remember when Todd Collins chewed out Mike Sellers in 2007, everyone (or anyone with a brain) recognized that Jason simply wasn't a leader. When you put that with his other faults, he's not even as good as a David Garrard, who at least is a leader (but limited in his abilities.) Todd Collins showed more control of the team, more urgency when needed, etc.

The team LOVES Colt Brennan and he hasn't even played. I'm sure they like Campbell, but it seems like as a person, whereas they are excited ON-FIELD by Colt Brennan, I believe. THat's not saying Colt is the future but that sometimes even bad players can have a charisma or leadership quality that an otherwise good player does not (not that JC is a good player.) But if you remove leadership from the Qb equation for a team, it's a big problem. A really big one.

I disagree. Its in times of adversity where you see who the leaders are, and who the pretenders are.

This offense badly needed someone, anyone, to grab the bull by the horns and say "we got this. Lets go"

It didn't happen

I watched the Giants game and to me it was disgusting because I felt that the coaches had given up on the players. They were out there lost, and there was nothing they could do about it. JC is timid as a leader, but I don't feel we need him to be a ray lewis. Having watched every game last year and how bad we were on offense, he could be a ray lewis and we still would've lost and lost and lost. You just acknowledged that Eli isn't that great a leader, but he's a super bowl champion. Is the QB being the leader of the team really that important, or is this just one more thing to get pissed off about after going 4-12 again? It's okay to say yes to both or neither, Hokie.

Doc said basically,that if he were Jason,he would have called more audibles out on the field. That Jason needed to man up and not let himself get "killed" out there. Maybe get himself benched,but don't let someone lead you in to darkness,(Doc wasn't complimentary to the coaching staff either). That if you're constantly being set up for failure and you keep doing the same thing anyway,that's not on the coach,that's on the player. Said he urged Jason to talk to Zorn about the way he was being used. Jason said he did talk to Zorn,but Doc said nothing ever happened. When Doc went off about how if he were Jason,he would have lived at Dan Snyder's house in order to get the team to change things. He would have forced the team to bench him. After John said Doc would get himself arrested,he said that Doc had heard that that wasn't Jason's temperament. Doc said that if that was the case,he wasn't the guy for the job.

Wow.

Doc is pretty brutal. I've never listened to his show before, but I don't think I recall anything being written about his comments where he's been this blunt.

"Only thing I’m upset about is all the things that we need to be improving on and I’m the hot topic"

As stated previously (many times,) Jason is a whiner and complainer with a strong sense of entitlement and no clue as to just how bad a player he is and why leadership and QB fundamentals (like ball placement on fairly easy passes, spotting a blitz, making teams pay, etc) are important.

Jason's MO since becoming the starter has been to feel entitled, to not want any competition, to not tolerate being questioned by fans or media or football people. He's NOT a stand-up guy. He's not a leader.

You can be a good guy and be a whiner and not a leader. Everyone has flaws.

Get this guy off the team already.

"Only thing I’m upset about is all the things that we need to be improving on and I’m the hot topic"

As stated previously (many times,) Jason is a whiner and complainer with a strong sense of entitlement and no clue as to just how bad a player he is and why leadership and QB fundamentals (like ball placement on fairly easy passes, spotting a blitz, making teams pay, etc) are important.

You can be a good guy and be a whiner and not a leader. Everyone has flaws.

Show me one link to where a coach, player or someone in the media has called JC a whiner. He's not a natural born leader, but he's definitely not a whiner. He's not even vocal enough to be a whiner.

So your saying Eli is a leader and that is why the Giants won the SB?

Trent Dilfer on the Ravens?

Brad Johnson?

Rypien?

Williams?

If you saw the Ravens Super bowl video on NFL network Trent Dilfer is a leader. he just doesnt put up stats. Two different things.. Jason has no personality. We saw this last year. He shows no emotion.

i said it once nd i will say it again....just goes to show how non team oriented portis is....if youve ever played sports you know that just because you dont have a "C" on your shirt doesnt mean you just do your job and go home.....you take the inceciative to boost your teams spirits and step up and speak when need be, its a team thing! Everyone should act as a captain towards one another! its also called respect....ever played little league? its like when you put your rally caps on, chant, and cheer on your team.....you boost the moral of the team......you never just do your job and go home...CP can do me the favor of just going home and watching someone else do his job next year for all I care!

Or have your team give in to your whining and have the Bears bail you out by giving up a couple of firsts for you.:cool2:

i hope you saw the bears purged their ENTIRE offensive staff today.

they obviously care about their whiner a whole heap if theyre gonna build that offense around him. throwing back to back 4 TD games gets you that sort of treatment.

Those two stars that gave those interviews didn't step up to the plate either. Knowing that JC wasn't a leader, how come they didn't push to be leaders?

It's clear the offense lacks leadership and it would be nice to see the QB taking that role, but it's also a unit made up of 11 men stop pointing fingers and look at yourself first

Show me one link to where a coach, player or someone in the media has called JC a whiner. He's not a natural born leader, but he's definitely not a whiner. He's not even vocal enough to be a whiner.

SoCal has owned you on this subject many times but when a guy talks about being used toilet tissue, implies that he is being judged differently because he's a black QB and never actually takes responsibility for his poor play, but in fact, touts his own stats and cites an example of a good pass from a season ago---that means he's a whiner, dude.

Sorry. He's not as bad a whiner as some other players but he's a whiner. Or at least, he's not stand-up guy, he doesn't take responsibility and he's not accountable. He may work responsibly, I'll give him that but he shifts blame, blames others for his failures and basically cries about how "unfair" things have been. Remember the quote last week or so about things being "unfair."

That's very close to whiner territory.

OP do you call a QB that looks to the sidelines for an audible "A Leader"?

Hard to judge at this time.

Here is the thing. College ball will NOT prepare you for the NFL. It simply doesn't or else all 1st round picks would be superstars.

However you can acquire the tools in college to become a star in the NFL. Thats why UDFAs and 6th round picks become stars.

So thusly, because a particular system used by a particular QB has him look over to audible, gives no credence to if that particular QB is a leader or not.

From everything I have read, Bradford is a leader on that team. I could be wrong though, and that is the job of the scouts, and the FO to find out.

OP do you call a QB that looks to the sidelines for an audible "A Leader"?

When that young man has a season ending injury and his teammates are behind him as he announces that he's going to go pro that indicates that they may have some feeling about him.

And that's their system. Leadership is more than whether you make the pre-snap audible call. But you know that.

Sorry. He's not as bad a whiner as some other players but he's a whiner. Or at least, he's not stand-up guy, he doesn't take responsibility and he's not accountable. He may work responsibly, I'll give him that but he shifts blame, blames others for his failures and basically cries about how "unfair" things have been. Remember the quote last week or so about things being "unfair."

That's very close to whiner territory.

So you are referencing SoCalSkins and not a coach, player or media source. :hysterical:

BTW, I don't remember SoCalSkins and I even having this particular discussion. What few discussions we have had have been about Jason's moral character.

If you remember in that article the reporter talked about how unusual it was that JC almost let his guard down when he make the one comment "unfair".

And you don't think it was unfair for Cerrato to say he addressed the o-line problem with by signing a 32nd ranked LG and a guy who hadn't played in 3 years. You don't think it was unfair that Cerrato then admitted that he didn't think Thomas could last 16 games, yet he thought Samuels would when Samuels hadn't played an entire season in 2 years. You don't think it's unfair that JC has had 10 different starting o-line combinations in front of him this year. You don't think it's unfair that he has had 5 different starting right guards. JC could have and should have been a lot more vocal on the subject of unfair.

Archived