Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBC News: Pat-downs for all travelers from some nations

heyholetsgogrant

Pat-downs for all travelers from some nations

TSA also says all international passengers will see more random screening

NBC News

updated 40 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - All travelers flying into the U.S. from nations considered high risk will be patted down and have carry-on luggage searched under new security procedures starting Monday, the Transportation Security Administration said Sunday.

In addition, all international passengers will see enhanced random screening, which may include pat-downs, explosive detection testing (swabbing of luggage) or body scans, the TSA said.

At least seven countries are on the high risk list: Nigeria, Pakistan and Yemen due to extremist activities there, and Cuba, Iran, Sudan and Syria because they are listed as "state sponsors of terrorism" by the United States, NBC reported.

Politico.com said 14 countries are on the full list, including Afghanistan, Libya and Somalia. It said the complete list was not available.

Source: NBC News

Link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34679532/ns/us_news-airliner_attack/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, took them this long?

Don't have a problem with it. People crossing international borders have a decreased expectation of privacy.

And like I said about Joe Crotchbomber and those guys who Pakistan is charging: IMO, some kinds of travel simply do count as a basis for increases scrutiny. Like the Americans who flew to Pakistan. How many legitimate reasons are there for an American to fly to Pakistan unless he's a Blackwater contractor or something?

Now, will it do any good? :whoknows:

Would it really inconvenience a terrorist if he had to, say, spend a weekend in Canada and then enter the US from there? I dunno.

Don't have a problem with it. People crossing international borders have a decreased expectation of privacy.

And like I said about Joe Crotchbomber and those guys who Pakistan is charging: IMO, some kinds of travel simply do count as a basis for increases scrutiny. Like the Americans who flew to Pakistan. How many legitimate reasons are there for an American to fly to Pakistan unless he's a Blackwater contractor or something?

Family?

Targeting specific countries or ethnicities is a stupid idea - it just gives Al Qaeda a profile of the type of airplane bomber they should recruit who won't be seen as suspicious. For example:

• Richard Reid was a white British guy.
  • The latest dude was a black African.
  • There are five American citizens in Pakistan whom apparently were in cahoots with the Taliban.

Good security is based on monitoring behavior, not color of skin or what it says on the cover of your passport.

And let's be clear ... TSA has a limited budget. If they are targeting specific countries or ethnicities for detailed security checks it means thay are investing less effort in looking for behaviors that are proven to be characteristic of terrorists.

Targeting specific countries or ethnicities is a stupid idea - it just gives Al Qaeda a profile of the type of airplane bomber they should recruit who won't be seen as suspicious. For example:

• Richard Reid was a white British guy.
  • The latest dude was a black African.
  • There are five American citizens in Pakistan whom apparently were in cahoots with the Taliban.

Good security is based on monitoring behavior, not color of skin or what it says on the cover of your passport.

And let's be clear ... TSA has a limited budget. If they are targeting specific countries or ethnicities for detailed security checks it means thay are investing less effort in looking for behaviors that are proven to be characteristic of terrorists.

No doubt TSA sucks.

Richard Reid...well, he looked like someone I would have patted down. Good Lord. Again, I'm for profiling for ethnicity and behavior...most definitely.

Like the Americans who flew to Pakistan. How many legitimate reasons are there for an American to fly to Pakistan unless he's a Blackwater contractor or something?
I don't agree with this, at least not for American citizens. I guess it depends on "increased scrutiny". In my mind, this would eventually lead to spying on folks who travel to Pakistan. Do you think a judge would grant a warrant for increased surveillance solely due to traveling to Pakistan or knowing people in Pakistan (okay, I'm guessing a judge would grant a FISA warrant for such activities, as I'm sure our intelligence community would portray those "contacts" as "suspected al queda members" *sigh*). No really, from the stats it looks like 99% of FISA warrants are given approval.

Well the parental controls on the giant xray machine wouldn't have caught the undiebomb.

a patdown wouldn't have caught the undybomb.

Listening to the mans father and following through on the details? would have caught the undybomb..

its not that difficult to understand.

If they are sooooooooo busy they can't forward a memo to the next person in line, get more people.

If they are still following the Gorrelick memo wall: fire them or remove any group that is still blocking the work.

Corcaigh, why not profile off what we know?

We know what?

Cuba is on the list. The UK is not.

As London and Madrid showed, thinking that the threat will come from just those countries on the list is false.

If we dedicate limited security resources to examining every traveler that originates or passes through that list of countries it means we have fewer resources to do real security checking.

Blanket pat downs from one nation or another will not work

The TSA mandate is to look for weapons. That won't work either.

You have to look for threats.

Unfortunately, the TSA agents are not trained to do this. They are 20 year old kids, etc. that cannot interpret behavior. They are looking for metal objects, when they should be looking at facial expressions, etc.

I flew domestic yesterday, and got the full pat down traveling with my wife. Any serious intelligence officer would not have wasted any time on us. TSA is not a serious operation. It's kindergarten cop.

We know what?

The overwhelming majority are males teen to 35yr old...start there and expand on it.

I agree the list is rather foolish,especially if the UK is not on it.

Dockery is correct

Well the parental controls on the giant xray machine wouldn't have caught the undiebomb.

a patdown wouldn't have caught the undybomb.

Listening to the mans father and following through on the details? would have caught the undybomb..

its not that difficult to understand.

If they are sooooooooo busy they can't forward a memo to the next person in line, get more people.

If they are still following the Gorrelick memo wall: fire them or remove any group that is still blocking the work.

This is all true. I don't understand why the father's warning was not followed up on?

Blanket pat downs from one nation or another will not work

The TSA mandate is to look for weapons. That won't work either.

You have to look for threats.

Unfortunately, the TSA agents are not trained to do this. They are 20 year old kids, etc. that cannot interpret behavior. They are looking for metal objects, when they should be looking at facial expressions, etc.

I flew domestic yesterday, and got the full pat down traveling with my wife. Any serious intelligence officer would not have wasted any time on us. TSA is not a serious operation. It's kindergarten cop.

I couldn't agree more with you here. I've been saying this forever about TSA; its officers are a complete joke. Their system is a joke. Frankly, I'm shocked more attacks or attempted attacks haven't occured on our airlines.

I'm fine with profiling and directing increased scrutiny to people flying to and from certain nations, but blanket rules do not work...particularly when they are being implemented by basically untrained officers.

What I found funny was listening to some guy on the right complain about how this was just the government being more intrusive, and that those who would do the pat downs were pervs just looking to touch people.

I guess people realize war time is suppose to be harsh, this is not tv or the movies

Archived