Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zimmer's name surfaces as potential defensive coordinator in D.C.

MAATopDogg

Coaches, like players, are not just a set quantity that perform exactly the same way when plugged into another team. Zimmer would be an upgrade, and no one can really know what he might be able to do with the D we have now. We pretty much know what Blache does with it, so there is no downside to rollin' the dice.

I think people here are giving Zimmer way to much credit for the Bengals defense.

HELLO! One of the best defensive minds in the game today is their head coach. HELLO!

They also have some damn good players. That back 7 is pretty enviable. Leon Hall and Jonathan Joseph are easily the best CB tandem in the league and I think Keith Rivers and Maualuga are going to be a beast of a pair of linebackers one day. Don't sleep on Michael Johnson who was a pretty big steal in the third round. They crushed the '09 draft.

Coaches, like players, are not just a set quantity that perform exactly the same way when plugged into another team. Zimmer would be an upgrade, and no one can really know what he might be able to do with the D we have now. We pretty much know what Blache does with it, so there is no downside to rollin' the dice.

This.

We've seen what Blache does here and it's okay at best. Just because one coach fails somewhere else doesn't mean he'll fail here or at another team. And Zimmer has had a stop in Cincy between his Dallas days, and had a pretty good defense there. It is literally impossible to judge anyone and say he will or won't be good here.

I'm sure every DC in the league has had a bad season or two.

Truth hurts. You have been living in the Snyder fantasy world too long. You can't even tell fantasy (Shanahan is coming here) from reality (no one of respectability is come here).

Nope, you've got it backwards. You can't even tell fantasy (no one of respectability is coming here) from reality (Shanahan is coming here)! :hysterical:

think of Slowik like a DB coach

Thanks for all you've been sharing. Always appreciated. I haven't been pleased with the performance of the secondary, and wasn't liking the ide of Jerry Gray taking over for Blache. I do like Zimmer and Denver's DBs under Slowik were able to accrue a good amount of INTs at times. I like that, according to another poster, that Bailey had good things to say about Slowik.

Hard to imagine too many complaints about that even from ES.

Here's my only issue and maybe this is silly sounding but if Zimmer has some HC buzz already what are the chances that we get to keep him for more than one season if he comes here and does well? Like Lewis back in the day.

What we need on the coaching staff is cohesiveness. They need to be able to work together. Gibbs always surrounded himself with good coaches who worked well together and shared the same philosophies. Problem with our current coaching staff is, they don't work well together, i.e. Gray and Steve Jackson having separate CB and Safety meetings. I don't care if the coach is a "name" coach, I want the head coach to be in charge and everyone to be on the same page. I'm not interested in sexy picks.

I wonder if Haynesworth is the one who set this in motion? I think that he was thinking that Blache could be here next year because he is the owner's personal spokesman on the team and I think that Albert Haynesworth feared that Blache could be returning. Will this calm Haynesworth enough to see that Blache could be gone along with Zorn?

Blache has been terrible, I have said it before we are a Defensive Coordinator away being a good Defense. The sooner Old Man Blache is gone the better, although plywood hands Rogers, MeAngelo and Laron should also pack **** and get out

so you think that Blache has been terrible. i agree. he gets VERY little out of his players...

...but then you go on to say that we should part with:

1. Rogers - who has shown for long stretches that he's capable of blanketing elite receivers, although not recently,

2. DeAngelo - who has shown for long stretches that he's capable of being one of the best ballhawking corners in the league, although not recently, and

3. LaRon - who showed consistent improvement in both his coverage and tackling skills under Gregg Williams, and has regressed recently.

that sounds pretty inconsistent to me.

i'd say that those players playing so poorly, and Haynesworth being less effective than in the past, is the *ultimate* condemnation of Blache's abilities as a defensive coordinator. i would replace him first and then see what we've got. i tend to think that we have an elite defense already made, just being used poorly... well, maybe we could use a full-time SLB, but other than that, i think we're a smart DC away from being an elite, game-dictating defense.

Archived