Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zimmer's name surfaces as potential defensive coordinator in D.C.

MAATopDogg

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/26/zimmers-name-surfaces-as-potential-defensive-coordinator-in-dc/

Zimmer's name surfaces as potential defensive coordinator in D.C.

Despite doing a great job over the past two seasons with the Cincinnati defense, Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer has yet to generate significant buzz as a potential head-coaching candidate for the upcoming carousel of vacancies.

But with his contract in Cincinnati set to expire after the current season, Zimmer could be in line for a lateral move -- and also a healthy raise.

We're told that Mike Shanahan has targeted Zimmer as the first choice to run the defense, if/when Shanahan resurfaces as head coach of the Redskins.

On Friday night, NFL Network's Jason La Canfora indicated that one of Mike Shanahan's first items of business will be to hire former Broncos defensive coordinator Bob Slowik. As La Canfora explained it, Slowik has been working with Shanahan at Denver-area office space. And we're hearing that Slowik will be a member of the Shanahan's staff even if Shanahan lands Zimmer.

If shouldn't be hard for the Redskins to succeed, given that owner Daniel Snyder previously has paid big money to defensive coordinator Gregg Williams. In early 2006, Williams inked a three-year, $8 million extension to remain with the Redskins.

So it might be a good idea for the Bengals to redouble their efforts to get Zimmer signed for 2010 and beyond. In November, Zimmer told Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com that the team has approached Zimmer regarding a contract extension, but that "nothing came to fruition."

Possible translation? "I got lowballed."

That's a term that doesn't exist in the Redskins' official dictionary. And one thing of which we're certain is that, if Mike Shanahan is the head coach of the Redskins, he'll have a virtually unlimited budget to hire the lieutenants he desires.

Well, PFT is a bit behind on the news. We've known it on this board for over a week! :D

Here's another tidbit.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2009/11/16/1160442/six-pack-of-hu-dey-sign-mike

With those accolades, Zimmer will be a hot head coaching candidate in 2010. Even if no head coaching opportunities are granted Zimmer, he could find himself a rich contract as a defensive coordinator with a powerfully rich team -- say the Washington Redskins.

I think a lot of things will start coming together very quickly come Jan. 4th, as well as the days to follow.

I heard a guy talking today on the radio about Holmgren in Cleveland, and Holmgren has said he is reviewing his current coaching staff, basically the same thing Allen has said about our coaching staff. The radio host said something that made me think though. He noted that this "review period" is gonna have to be done fast because Holmgren has to get it started right away. I think the same thing can be said for Allen. He'll review Zorn and have a much easier time doing it than Holmgren. Everybody knows Zorn is out and Allen has probably already made the decision. So things will probably get started ASAP, they really HAVE to get started ASAP to get ready for the offseason and next year.

I do like the idea of a coaching "all star" team. You make our coaching staff the focal point of the team and there's no question who is in charge. We don't have players that are untouchable, we'll have coaches with complete control and (hopefully) respect. If Shanahan comes, let him bring in his son, who is up on the rise, as OC and bring in Zimmer as DC with Slowik under him. Honestly I don't know much about Slowik, I do know Cincy's D has been improving a LOT in the last 2 years so I'm okay with Zimmer. If Slowik is a positional coach under him, I'd be fine with it.

Archived