Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zimmer's name surfaces as potential defensive coordinator in D.C.

MAATopDogg

so you think that Blache has been terrible. i agree. he gets VERY little out of his players...

...but then you go on to say that we should part with:

1. Rogers - who has shown for long stretches that he's capable of blanketing elite receivers, although not recently,

2. DeAngelo - who has shown for long stretches that he's capable of being one of the best ballhawking corners in the league, although not recently, and

3. LaRon - who showed consistent improvement in both his coverage and tackling skills under Gregg Williams, and has regressed recently.

that sounds pretty inconsistent to me.

i'd say that those players playing so poorly, and Haynesworth being less effective than in the past, is the *ultimate* condemnation of Blache's abilities as a defensive coordinator. i would replace him first and then see what we've got. i tend to think that we have an elite defense already made, just being used poorly... well, maybe we could use a full-time SLB, but other than that, i think we're a smart DC away from being an elite, game-dictating defense.

Rogers and Hall and the entire Secondary this year have allowed guys like Meachem and Marshall to run free on them. Landry on the other hand has been so maddeningly inconsistent, yeah he'll get a big hit but he'll also get a 15 yarder

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1277952#post1277952

By exposing and exploiting the weaknesses in our defense, Payton has shown the league just how terrible our DC and his "bend-but-don't-break", "read-and-react" scheme is. It doesn't work in the NFL. Also, Zimmer and Parcells have been unable to make any adjustments to the scheme and every team we have played since has exploited those weaknesses as well.

The last 4 games we have given up an average of 299.5 yards passing and 143.8 yards rushing for a total of 443.3 yards per game! We have also given up an average of 4 passing TDs per game and an average of 33 points per game.

Does that sound like a certain guy we know who dissed a certain 100 million dollar man?

I've been saying for over 10 years now that he (and his mentor Campo) has the WRONG mentality for the NFL. For a long time he was able to fool many in the NFL by seeming to limit the yardage given up but if you were paying attention, you could see that teams could drive and score on us when they needed to.

Yup, that definitely sounds like a Greg Blache defense.

The stupid rankings based on total yardage masked the true nature of our defense which could be exploited by teams willing to test it, which they would when behind late in the game. People kept making excuses for him that we didn't have enough talented players or that the offense wasn't scoring enough points.

Wow, I'm having deja vu!!!

Our lack of a pass rush and inability to make adjustments is killing us and is directly attributable to Mike Zimmer and his scheme.

Absolutely NOT to Zimmer or Slowik.

We need an attacking, aggressive defense; we might as well keep Blache if we bring in yet ANOTHER passive, play-not-to-lose defensive coordinator.

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1277952#post1277952

Does that sound like a certain guy we know who dissed a certain 100 million dollar man?

To be fair Zimmer is a 4-3 coach that was asked to coach a 3-4 team...

Absolutely NOT to Zimmer or Slowik.

We need an attacking, aggressive defense; we might as well keep Blache if we bring in yet ANOTHER passive, play-not-to-lose defensive coordinator.

By chance have you looked at what the defense in Cinncinati has looked like this season? You keep posting articles from when Parcells asked Zimmer to coach his 3-4 defense when he came to Dallas and Zimmer is not a 3-4 coach he is a 4-3 coach...The Cowboys' defense in the yrs before Parcells got there with Zimmer as the DC ran a 4-3 and they used to blitz a lot...The guy made Roy "Biscuit" Williams a star in his D...

so you think that Blache has been terrible. i agree. he gets VERY little out of his players...

...but then you go on to say that we should part with:

1. Rogers - who has shown for long stretches that he's capable of blanketing elite receivers, although not recently,

2. DeAngelo - who has shown for long stretches that he's capable of being one of the best ballhawking corners in the league, although not recently, and

3. LaRon - who showed consistent improvement in both his coverage and tackling skills under Gregg Williams, and has regressed recently.

that sounds pretty inconsistent to me.

i'd say that those players playing so poorly, and Haynesworth being less effective than in the past, is the *ultimate* condemnation of Blache's abilities as a defensive coordinator. i would replace him first and then see what we've got. i tend to think that we have an elite defense already made, just being used poorly... well, maybe we could use a full-time SLB, but other than that, i think we're a smart DC away from being an elite, game-dictating defense.

Well said, sir!

lol

That sure didn't bother Ron Rivera and Mike Tomlin (who come from the TAMPA 2 coaching tree) now did it!

For one Mike Tomlin has nothing to do with Pittsburgh's D other than the fact that he is the HC...Dick LeBeau is the DC and has been since the 90's...

Ron Rivera came to San Diego as the ILB coach in '07 under then DC Ted Cottrell, he wasn't named DC until '08...So he had a yr to learn the 3-4...Oh and by the way the Chargers defense was ranked 25th in 08 under Rivera and is only 15th this season...So it's not like he's been that successful...

I guess we're going to have to wait on Zimmer since the Bengals are in the play-offs. Meanwhile, the more I read about him, the more I like him.

Below is a few excerpts from the article:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20091230/SPT02/912310357/1066/Bengals++defense+driving+for+a+tune-up

He has the league's fourth-ranked defense, but Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer still is a little surly going into the final week of the regular season.

"Coach Zimmer is a tremendous motivator and knows what the second and third guy needs to do, and that's half the battle," defensive tackle Tank Johnson said. "We're a good defense, and people have to take note of that. As you can see by the Pro Bowl ballot (the Bengals had no players on the AFC team), we don't have the big-name guys, but a lot of hard-working, blue-collar guys who get the job done."

Archived