Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best concept albums?

Toe Jam

best rap album i've heard this decade

I'll definitely have to check that out.

Colors by Between the Buried and Me. But that's only good if you can tolerate metal. This album touches on every genre or rock and metal. It's the most incredible blending of an entire genre that I've ever heard.

I'm not usually too big on metal but I'll check it out.

The albums of Coheed and Cambria are an ongoing story created by the lead singer. You'll find out that Coheed and Cambria are actually characters within the story, not just the band name. All four albums so far have told of their story and the story of their children. Pretty awesome stuff.

Still Life by Opeth is probably my favorite concept album. A funny and pretty entertaining concept album is Ziltoid the Omniscient by Devin Townsend. Porcupine Tree has two good concept albums in their catalog, both fairly recent too. The albums are The Incident and Deadwing. The album Deadwing was based on a movie a friend of the singer was writing. Also, I believe that Powerslave by Iron Maiden is a concept album...and a damn good one.

Like I said, Still Life is probably my favorite concept album. The story that the album is based around is pretty cool. In short, this guy is banished from his town because he is considered a heretic. He comes back to be with the woman that he loves. The townspeople find out that he comes back and bad stuff starts happening because of his return.

Not officially an album (because its unreleased), but Phish's second sutdio effort (aka Gamehendge) is a fan favorite amongst the Phish community. Its a fictional story / concept piece.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamehenge

Gamehendge is the fictional setting for a number of songs by the rock band Phish. Most of the songs can be traced back to The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday (or TMWSIY), the senior thesis of guitarist and primary vocalist Trey Anastasio, written while he attended Goddard College in 1987. Anastasio developed the main story into Phish's second studio album that same year. It is the only Phish complete album that has never officially been released, although it has been heavily circulated among fans since 1987.

Archived