Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best concept albums?

Toe Jam

Isn't that a lot of what a concept album is? I'd say that additionally, concept albums focus on one particular subject...but still there is usually a story involved.

I wasn't sure if maybe you wouldn't consider it a 'concept album' if it didn't diverge from what a band normally does. For example, ever single album of Rhapsody of Fire's would be a concept album because they're always telling a story through their songs (all of their albums actually combine to tell the sagas).

W.A.S.P. - The Crimson Idol

About a guy that grows up in an abusive/loveless household. He becomes addicted to alcohol/drugs, then he discovers music. He gets to the point where he runs away from home with his guitar in order to peruse his dreams...but what's in store for him isn't what he hopes for. A pretty powerful story...kind of depressing, but still great.

To throw another one into the discussion that hasn't been mentioned yet, is Priest's "Nostradamus" Didn't fully resonate with a lot of long time Priest fans, but I thought it was a great album if you put "Painkiller" and "Screaming for Vengeance" to the side, and forget your listening to Judas Priest.

People expect a certain sound from them, and it's not keyboards and orchestration.

Pink Floyd is awesome and if you actually watch the entire Wizard of Oz while playing Dark Side from Beginning to end, it is classic. And Alice in Wonderland syncs up perfectly with The Wall. Real trippy stuff. Highly recommended to do while tripping. Really fun. Just go to youtube and you can find it all.

And Echoes from their cd "Meddle" syncs up with a scene from 2001 Space Odyssey

So cool!

Pink Floyd is awesome and if you actually watch the entire Wizard of Oz while playing Dark Side from Beginning to end, it is classic. And Alice in Wonderland syncs up perfectly with The Wall. Real trippy stuff. Highly recommended to do while tripping. Really fun. Just go to youtube and you can find it all.

And Echoes from their cd "Meddle" syncs up with a scene from 2001 Space Odyssey

So cool!

See this one?

:laugh:

For example, ever single album of Rhapsody of Fire's would be a concept album because they're always telling a story through their songs (all of their albums actually combine to tell the sagas).

o rly? Sweet. I'll have to check them out. A lot of power metal bands do things like that. Blind Guardian comes to mind, but I have not listened to them in a while.

As far as the Between the Buried and me album Colors goes, I am not quite sure how it is a concept album. Sure the songs all flow and run into one another...but for an album to be a considered a concept album, doesn't the lyrical theme kind of have to play into the music as well? Colors is a great album, but lyrically, there really isn't a concept is there?

o rly? Sweet. I'll have to check them out. A lot of power metal bands do things like that. Blind Guardian comes to mind, but I have not listened to them in a while.

Yeah, two interconnected sagas (the second saga is a prequel involving some of the same characters) spanning 6 albums (with a seventh set to release in march).

As far as the Between the Buried and me album Colors goes, I am not quite sure how it is a concept album. Sure the songs all flow and run into one another...but for an album to be a considered a concept album, doesn't the lyrical theme kind of have to play into the music as well? Colors is a great album, but lyrically, there really isn't a concept is there?

I believe lyrics don't have to follow to be a concept album. I think its just that the album has an over-arching theme, whether its lyrically or musically.

"Concept album" can be used loosely, but here's a few of my favorites and the "concept" behind them.

The Beatles - Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (fairly obvious)

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds (growing up)

Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks (heartbreak, a failing relationship... debatedly autobiographical)

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea (the life and death of Anne Frank)

Arcade Fire - The Funeral (This is one is sort of a stretch, but there are certainly similar themes (and names of songs) throughout the album, and its one of the best of this decade so everyone should hear it)

The Thermals - The Body, The Blood, the Machine (a family fleeing an oppressive "faux-Christian" theocracy)

The Mountain Goats - The Sunset Tree (frontman John Darnielle's abusive relationship with his step father)

By the way, they made movies out of several of the albums already mentioned and a couple not: The Wall, Tommy, Quadrophenia, and Sgt Pepper's. The movie for Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band I thought sucked, but has quite a few notables in it:

Peter Frampton

The Bee Gees

Frankie Howerd

George Burns

Steve Martin

Earth, Wind and Fire

Aerosmith

Alice Cooper

Paul Nicholas

Donald Pleasence

Billy Preston

On of the first and best is "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" written by Peter Gabriel...Genesis...1974...Phil was just a drummer and back up singer...Steve Hackett Mike Rutherford and Tony Banks..

if you like the wall, dark side and tommy...this double album will BLOW your mind. It truly is incredible. It's really fun to really listen and pay attention to...the story of Rael.

incredible lyrics incredible music...really and truly!

51wuM3-s0xL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Definitely my favorite.

"You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee, black. You have five earth minutes. Make it perfect!"

Great album.

Some add here:

Just about everything from Ayreon.

Spock's Beard - Snow

Savatage - Streets, a rock opera

Epica - Consign To Oblivion

Marillion - Brave

Lyrically no, musically yes. The album is definitely a concept album in terms of the way each song flows into another. The album is like one giant song full of a plethora of genres.

I wasn't sure if maybe you wouldn't consider it a 'concept album' if it didn't diverge from what a band normally does. For example, ever single album of Rhapsody of Fire's would be a concept album because they're always telling a story through their songs (all of their albums actually combine to tell the sagas).

Technically all that is required for an album to be a concept album is just some sort of unifying theme. I'm not a big fan of the loose usage of the term, though. In my mind a concept album has a bit more of an experimental element to it and falls out of the norm of the artist/group.

"You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee, black. You have five earth minutes. Make it perfect!"

Great album.

Some add here:

Just about everything from Ayreon.

Spock's Beard - Snow

Savatage - Streets, a rock opera

Epica - Consign To Oblivion

Marillion - Brave

as long long as you have Epica on there, how about the album from which they got their name?

Kamelot's Epica. And that wouldn't be complete without their following album The Black Halo, as the two combine to tell the story of Goethe's Faust.

Archived