Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shanny HC, who's the DC???

Renegade7

I hear a lot of people on hear saying they want Jerry Gray to be HC. Eh, I don't even know if I want him to be DC. Me, if you're going to bring in a new HC after just two years, he needs to pick all his own guys. Curious if anyone has the 411 on potential defensive cordinators for 2010. You know, HCs that might get fired, DCs with expiring contracts, or position coaches who are at the point of moving up.

Or, if it makes you feel safe, should Jerry Gray be promoted to DC since Blache is likely retiring?

Ya, so who's the next DC if Shanahan is the HC? I have no idea...

Big offensive lineman and smashmouth football wins games later in the year. Small "quick" offensive linemen lose 42-10 in Superbowls against big offensive linemen. Russ Grimm as HC please.

Sorry, I digressed. Gray will be fine with me as DC as long as we have a HC and GM worthy of this organization

Big offensive lineman and smashmouth football wins games later in the year. Small "quick" offensive linemen lose 42-10 in Superbowls against big offensive linemen. Russ Grimm as HC please.

Sorry, I digressed. Gray will be fine with me as DC as long as we have a HC and GM worthy of this organization

It isn't 1997 anymore. The NFL is a passing league. Gone are the days of smashmouth football.

Don't believe me? The Colts, Patriots, and Eagles have been the best NFL teams after November for years now. All of them are pass first.

All that talk about how running wins games in the cold must have inspired defenses over the years. Cold weather doesn't just mean run heavy offense. It now means 8, maybe 9 men in the box.

It would have to be one of the coaches that are on the staff now right?? It would be a dumb move IMO if they changed the whole defensive staff. I would just keep the whole defensive staff as is, Blache is a solid DC, most of the mistakes you see on defense are dumb mistakes by the players

That Super Bowl was in 1987 - the game has evolved.

In addition Shanhan was not the coach for Denver in that game, it was Dan Reeves plus the Hogs while dominating that game did so against Denvers defense not their offensive line.

There was some talk a while back that Shanny was visiting all teams that run the 34 defense. If Shanny is hired, I'd expect us to be running the 34 next season.

There would have to be big time changes in personel in order to do that, and with what Shanny will want to do on the offensive side of the ball there will just not be enough money/time to revamp the entire defense as well.

There was some talk a while back that Shanny was visiting all teams that run the 34 defense. If Shanny is hired, I'd expect us to be running the 34 next season.

We don't have the personnel to run a 3-4. No NT, two great 4-3 DE's but no 3-4 DE's (assuming Daniels retires), question marks about how Fletcher and Rocky would transition to ILB roles in a 3-4 etc etc. Round holes, square pegs and lots of bits missing.

If Shanny is smart (and I think he is) he will spend his time optimising the offense and hire a 4-3 D-Cordinator who he can shout "stop them" at just like Joe used to do with Richie Pettibon.

I hear a lot of people on hear saying they want Jerry Gray to be HC. Eh, I don't even know if I want him to be DC. Me, if you're going to bring in a new HC after just two years, he needs to pick all his own guys. Curious if anyone has the 411 on potential defensive cordinators for 2010. You know, HCs that might get fired, DCs with expiring contracts, or position coaches who are at the point of moving up.

Or, if it makes you feel safe, should Jerry Gray be promoted to DC since Blache is likely retiring?

Ya, so who's the next DC if Shanahan is the HC? I have no idea...

Personally i would be happy with Coach Gray.

I think he is far more creative then Greg Blache:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-playbook/09000d5d80b21cf1/WK-4-Playbook-Jerry-Gray-at-the-Board

http://www.nfl.com/videos/washington-redskins/09000d5d80b4f186/WK-4-Anatomy-Extra-Washington-Clever-Scheme-2

http://www.nfl.com/videos/washington-redskins/09000d5d80b4f1a9/WK-4-Anatomy-Skins-trick-Romo sits to pee-into-INT

I really think Gray knows the game; the secondary was the strength of this team even when there was no pass rush last year and i think he's the reason our pass defense is ranked where it is now.

I also give him credit for the drafting well in the secondary.

Coach Gray has been a DC before and he was a HC candidate last year.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Other coaches that i would look for are:

Lovie Smith (if he gets fired),

Dick Jauron,

Raheem Morris (if he gets fired),

Rod Marinelli

Outside of the box choices:

I've always liked Marvin Lewis defenses and he has been putting together a good 4-3 defense with the Bengals i would look for someone from his staff that knows his system:

Coyle_Kevin.jpg

Kevin Coyle

Defensive Backs; born January 14, 1956, Staten Island, N.Y. Defensive back Massachusetts 1975-77. No pro playing experience. College coach: Cincinnati 1978-79, Arkansas 1980, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy 1981, Holy Cross 1982-1990, Syracuse 1991-93, Maryland 1994-96, Fresno State 1997-2000. Pro coach: Joined Bengals in 2001.

FitzGerald_Jeff.jpg

Jeff FitzGerald

Linebackers; born April 18, 1960, Burbank, Calif. Linebacker Oregon State 1980. No pro playing experience. College coach: Cincinnati 1985-86, Alabama 1987-89, San Diego State 1994-97. Pro coach: Tampa Bay Buccaneers 1990-93, Washington Redskins 1998-99, Arizona Cardinals 2000-2003, Ravens 2004-2007, joined Bengals in 2008.

Hayes_Jay.jpg

Jay Hayes

Defensive Line; born March 3, 1960, South Fayette, Pa. Defensive end Idaho 1978-1981. Pro defensive end/linebacker Michigan Panthers (USFL) 1984, Memphis Showboats (USFL) 1985. College coach: Notre Dame 1988-1991, California 1992-94, Wisconsin 1995-98. Pro coach: Pittsburgh Steelers 1999-2001, Minnesota Vikings 2002, joined Bengals in 2003.

Even further outside the box from a different scheme (3-4) but learned under the guidance from Dick LeBeau:

Butler_Keith.jpg

Keith Butler

Linebackers; born May 16, 1956, Anniston, Ala. Linebacker Memphis 1974-77. Pro linebacker Seattle Seahawks 1978-1987. College coach: Memphis 1990-97, Arkansas State 1998. Pro coach: Cleveland Browns 1999-2002, joined Steelers in 2003.

Mitchell_John.jpg

John Mitchell

Asst. Head Coach/Defensive Line; born October 14, 1951, Mobile, Ala. Defensive end Eastern Arizona J.C. 1969-1970, Alabama 1971-72. No pro playing experience. College coach: Alabama 1973-76, Arkansas 1977-1982, Temple 1986, Louisiana State 1987-1990. Pro coach: Birmingham Stallions (USFL) 1983-85, Cleveland Browns 1991-93, joined Steelers in 1994.

Dick Juron as Dc, his defenses are always good, maybe bring over their ST coach also

Well the HC "should" be able to pick all of his staff but this is DC after all. I would be happy with Juron as DC and would LOVE to see Grimm come home as HC but think Shanny is the chosen one.

Archived