Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Mayock on Jason Campbell

mhd24

Does none see the blitzer right in Campbell's face which rushed the throw????

They blitzed six and we had six blockers.. does anyone have the intelligence to wonder why one of them wasn't blocked??? Campbell's 1st read was covered as he scanned the field the delayed blitz came and the RB picked up the delayed blitzer. This was a bad move because that was Dockery's job. Dock and Rabach were double teaming one guy!! That left a clean alley for the rush up the middle which got in Campbell's face and rushed his throw. If the line would've picked up the blitz Campbell could've bought some time and possibly scrambled for the first down. Yes it was a poor throw but he was trying to make a play in the midst of his protection breaking down.

That's what I saw.

The slot receiver seems to be an option, but the blitzer is actually in the way of that throw, and unblocked, meaning he could easily bat it down.

The receiver at the top of the screen would have had 2 guys in his face on any kind of throw, the safety wasn't that far away. An earlier throw to Davis, or a higher one, and its a reception. The angle Davis was running would have made a high pass hard to angle for and catch, especially running at the sideline. But the throw was a second late. A little quicker and its a reception, IMO.

I'm not a Campbell supporter. If we could get a better quarterback, then I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Comparing a Russell pick is the same thing. A pick is a pick.

You seriously don't know what the hell you're talking about, as per usual.

Your use of "Candle" makes you look childish and idiotic.

i dont care if u are a candle supporter or not. i mean it is your right. we are here to talk football. but the fact taht you can logically put together hobbie's intention when he compared brady's INT to candle's is mind boggling , saying a pick is a pick. LOL have you even read his posts man? he even points out how bad brady's pick is and that candle's pick wasnt even as bad.

1) I didn't change the topic. Your inability to communicate hurts your argument.

2) You can't call anyone a bust after two years, plain and simple. You look like a moron if you do. To say that Campbell's mechanics haven't improved is also moronic.

3) I was, and am, vehemently against Sanchez. I'm not a homer.

It's like you try to look as stupid as possible. You're very successful, by the way.

ur inability to communicate hurts me and your argument. but i make it out without pointing out your inability and concentrate on the topic at hand.

as for his mechanics, nothing has improved. nothing that you post makes any sense other than u have the right to do so. i mean if you couldnt tell he was a bust after collins came in on the same game and made a difference and the rest of the season, u might as well give candle another 10 yrs to progress cause u will never know.

I want a guy like Brees, McNabb, Rivers etc.

I'm sure most teams would like to have a QB like Brees, or Peyton, or Brady, etc. Problem is...it isn't that easy and much of the time it is pure luck of the draw. Brady was a nobody coming out of college. Nobody could have predicted he would become one of the better QBs in history. Peyton was considered by most (including the Colts and the Chargers) to be a wash with Leaf. One took one, one took the other. Look how that turned out. Brees looked mediocre his first years in SD, then turned it up his last year. But he had been injured and there was no way of knowing if that good year was an abberation, if his injury would stick with him, etc. It was luck of the draw. Cutler was considered a surefire "franchise QB" who would be able to light it up and, as such, was traded for two 1st rounders and a 3rd. The jury may still be out on that, but it certainly doesn't look like he was worth nearly that much at this point. Over the past decade the Skins have been throwing away good QBs over and over in leiu of the shiny new one who they thought would be a savior and be the next Brady, Manning, Marino, whatever. We let Trent Green go, we let Brad Johnson go, etc. And ended up being worse off for it as they ended up going on and being pretty successful while we were stuck looking like bigger and bigger idiots.

decision-1.jpg

Jonathan Vilma was the only one aside from the corner at the bottom facing and driving toward where the ball would have went before the throw, and Fred Davis was the right decision?

I hate talking to you, and normally avoid it because all it turns into is nastiness every time for whatever reasons.

But, I will indulge just once, and no further responses as I have a long road trip ahead of me shortly, but I do like the pic you've provided here and want to comment.

The receiver at the top has 2 guys there, the CB and safety.

There is a blitzer right in the way of any throw to the slot.

Fred Davis had a step on Vilma, and had the ball been delivered earlier it would have been a completion. Decent decision, throw was a little late tho.

Keep in mind it's my opinion, and have maintained that it's just opinion throughout this thread. So no need for name calling, no need to act like everyone who disagrees with you is an incompetent moron, no need for any of that.

You said slot receiver was an option, I say the blitzer was in the way. You say back shoulder throw to top receiver, I say he had 2 guys in the vicinty ready to break it up. But you did give 2 options you believe to be viable.

I said Davis was the best option, as he had a step on Vilma, but the throw was a tad late, and Vilma made a great read and undercut the ball. You say Vilma had him the whole time.

2 different opinions on the situation, and let's just keep it at that.

decision-1.jpg

Jonathan Vilma was the only one aside from the corner at the bottom facing and driving toward where the ball would have went before the throw, and Fred Davis was the right decision?

Nice work... and having the benefit of hindsight is always a plus too. The right throw was to ARE (I think) who saw the delayed corner blitz and sat in the zone on the 40. It would not have picked up a first, but that did not matter there.

Given that, JC went away from the pressue with the ball (as you are supposed to when you dont know presanp that its a blitz. It was disguised very well). The throw was just a hair late. Regardless, Vilma made a GREAT play on that ball. He had to burst, and outstrech to get his hands on it... which is the sole reason he could not stay in bounds.

Its was a great call by GW to force the QB into a mistake. I cant really fault JC on that throw.

I hate talking to you, and normally avoid it because all it turns into is nastiness every time for whatever reasons.

But, I will indulge just once, and no further responses as I have a long road trip ahead of me shortly, but I do like the pic you've provided here and want to comment.

The receiver at the top has 2 guys there, the CB and safety.

Look at the picture. Look where the cornerback and safety are facing. Watch the video and see which way they are moving. Simple physics say that a back shoulder throw would have been perfect, the kind that Drew Brees made to Marques Colston last week that prompted people to discuss why we never see Jason Campbell making those kind of throws.

There is a blitzer right in the way of any throw to the slot.

If Jason Campbell can't throw over a short defensive back like that, how does he throw over a lineman to Fred Davis?

Watch this video for a closer look.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/washington-redskins/09000d5d814c1169/WeeK-13-Jason-Campbell-highlights

Fred Davis had a step on Vilma, and had the ball been delivered earlier it would have been a completion. Decent decision, throw was a little late tho.

Look at the picture. Davis is not even out of his break and Vilma's already next to him. He doesn't have a step at all.

You said slot receiver was an option, I say the blitzer was in the way. You say back shoulder throw to top receiver, I say he had 2 guys in the vicinty ready to break it up. But you did give 2 options you believe to be viable.

I said Davis was the best option, as he had a step on Vilma, but the throw was a tad late, and Vilma made a great read and undercut the ball. You say Vilma had him the whole time.

2 different opinions on the situation, and let's just keep it at that.

Simple physics and geometry dictate that it's not a matter of opinion.

Nice work... and having the benefit of hindsight is always a plus too. The right throw was to ARE (I think) who saw the delayed corner blitz and sat in the zone on the 40. It would not have picked up a first, but that did not matter there.

Given that, JC went away from the pressue with the ball (as you are supposed to when you dont know presanp that its a blitz. It was disguised very well). The throw was just a hair late. Regardless, Vilma made a GREAT play on that ball. He had to burst, and outstrech to get his hands on it... which is the sole reason he could not stay in bounds.

Its was a great call by GW to force the QB into a mistake. I cant really fault JC on that throw.

The pressure actually came from the right side and Jason Campbell was nailed after making the throw after 3.5 seconds.

I was waiting for this response! He led us from deep in our own territory to the Saints 6 yd line. Chip shot FG to win the game. Yet he gets no credit for that, because another platyer failed. yet when he is successful, it is because of others around him. No JC hater will ever give him his due. See Broncos game.

You stated that Campbell led us to a game winning drive against the Saints.

We lost against the Saints.

Thus, it was not a game winning drive.

-I agree 100% that the defense made a great play, but you can't fault JC for an INT he threw? Who's to blame then? Obviously the offense made a mistake since they turned the ball over.. I am curious in your opinion who made the mistake?

-Please don't tell me no one made a mistake and the defense just made a play, JC had a wide open Randle El

Campbell beat the Saints last year with a gorgeous throw.

He did, but the other poster was alluding to last weekends game, not last years. Campbell did not lead us to a game winning drive, since we did not win the game.

Here is the original post that I referenced, "All the JC haters forget one thing: HE LED A GAME WINNING DRIVE AGAINST THE SAINTS! Suisham missed an XP to win the game. JC drove the team down the field and put the team in position to kick a FG to win the game with the opposing team having zero TOs left. 10 pt lead with 1:40ish left on clock with no TOs..."

-I agree 100% that the defense made a great play, but you can't fault JC for an INT he threw? Who's to blame then? Obviously the offense made a mistake since they turned the ball over.. I am curious in your opinion who made the mistake?

-Please don't tell me no one made a mistake and the defense just made a play, JC had a wide open Randle El

and get this elkabong said "That INT was actually the right decision in that situation, IMO" seriously man. you cant make these stuff up!. LOL

Based on the pic, it looks like JC made the right decision just a split second too late.

In the picture Fred has the best angle on his defender. Campbell made the right decision, he just either threw it too late or didn't put enough into the throw.

I fail to see how anyone was "wide open" based on that picture. Especially anyone but Davis (meaning ARE).

decision2.jpg

Here's another look at it. Jason Campbell clearly sees that the blitzer has abandoned Antwaan Randle El, and there is nobody near Randle El. So why does Jason Campbell abandon him? Probably a mix of two things.

1. He has no idea where Randle El is going. Could be due to lack of chemistry or it could due to not processing the entire play. He might have thought Randle El was going to break past the 40 yard line, and in that case...

2. He was afraid of the corner who was supposed to be guarding Devin Thomas. This is exactly why I said a back shoulder pass to the top receiver would have been perfect in this situation.

Meanwhile, you see Jonathan Vilma is already driving toward where the ball is going to be thrown.

ARE was open, but JC had a delayed corner blitz and pressure coming from the left. (Sorry SHilsu, I think you are worng about the pressure. The hit eventuall came from the right, but the pressure was from the left)When in those situations, you are taught to throw away from pressure. I am not saying JC has no fault at all. He did what your supposed to do in that situation. The throw was a tick late. Its not as if he completely missed his own guy and threw it right into the arms of a stalled defender. The defensive play call was fantastic, the CB sold the delayed blitz perfectly, and Vilma made a great play on the ball.

If 2010 stays an uncapped year, he could offer JC a tender... if he leaves we could get a first and third round pick. If he stays we get a decent QB under a value contract and a stop-gap while we search for a long-term solution....

My point:

Offer Campbell the tender.

decision2.jpg

Here's another look at it. Jason Campbell clearly sees that the blitzer has abandoned Antwaan Randle El, and there is nobody near Randle El. So why does Jason Campbell abandon him? Probably a mix of two things.

1. He has no idea where Randle El is going. Could be due to lack of chemistry or it could due to not processing the entire play. He might have thought Randle El was going to break past the 40 yard line, and in that case...

2. He was afraid of the corner who was supposed to be guarding Devin Thomas. This is exactly why I said a back shoulder pass to the top receiver would have been perfect in this situation.

Meanwhile, you see Jonathan Vilma is already driving toward where the ball is going to be thrown.

ARE may have been supposed to run a post or something similar that would deliver him directly into the defender that picked him up. Just saying. You can't just assume that JC made a mistake by not going to him there. He had to have his reason (especially since he was looking right at him).

Based on the pic, it looks like JC made the right decision just a split second too late.

In the picture Fred has the best angle on his defender. Campbell made the right decision, he just either threw it too late or didn't put enough into the throw.

I fail to see how anyone was "wide open" based on that picture. Especially anyone but Davis (meaning ARE).

What are you talking about? Davis has the least separation in terms of distance out of any of the options. But distance does not dictate separation.

Davis' defender (Vilma) is in the second best position to make a play on the ball (best position being the guy guarding Moss). He is facing the correct way and he is driving the correct way.

The linebacker guarding Randle El is facing the wrong way and is moving the wrong way as is the cornerback who's supposed to be guarding Thomas if a back shoulder throw is made. The safety is floating horizontally.

How after looking at the picture and video, how anyone can claim Davis was the best decision is baffling to say the least.

What are you talking about? Davis has the least separation in terms of distance out of any of the options. But distance does not dictate separation.

Davis' defender (Vilma) is in the second best position to make a play on the ball (best position being the guy guarding Moss). He is facing the correct way and he is driving the correct way.

The linebacker guarding Randle El is facing the wrong way and is moving the wrong way as is the cornerback who's supposed to be guarding Thomas. The safety is floating horizontally.

How after looking at the picture and video, anyone can claim Davis was the best decision is baffling to say the least.

Look at the last picture you posted. Davis is cutting away from the defender with good position. Seems pretty clear to me. It was just a bad timed throw.

Archived