Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Mayock on Jason Campbell

mhd24

There is and I think JC's is around 5.8 yds which is another improvement over last year. My main problem with using this stat is the system he is running doesn't favor long passes in the air. The WCO is built on short passes with supposedly a higher YAC.

ok thats fine. system might not suit him but AGAIN, if you have set of eyes and saw all his games, when he does attempt long passes, it aint even close man. i mean, we are talking about not even having a chance to catch the ball. this has been discussed plenty.

There is and I think JC's is around 5.8 yds which is another improvement over last year. My main problem with using this stat is the system he is running doesn't favor long passes in the air. The WCO is built on short passes with supposedly a higher YAC.

That's what I'm thinking, too. If this were a Gibbs offense, then I'd see passes through the air as a little bit more relevant, but a 42-yard gain is a 42-yard gain, especially if the offense is built that way.

espn tracks how far passes travel through the air as part of the splits category.

Thank you, kindly.

Maybe the REAL problem is that too many people post in an attempt to simply win the argument. More people should look at the other side of the debate and keep an open mind. You might actually find that most Skins fans agree on more than you think.

I like this. It's not about winning an argument.

-you didn't ask a question, you said the problem with my post was "we" are discussing campbell this year, which was untruem

You are correct. I made an assumption based on the limited evidence I had at the time. I assumed the discussion was on this years performance as the OP was using recent info by Mayock...

I saw your blurb about a stat from last year, so I thought it was not relevant.

I like this. It's not about winning an argument.

Exactly...it's about discussing different opinions and perspectives. That's what is so great about sports. You can have a player (Campbell for example) who is loved by some and hated by others. It wouldn't be so odd or unique except that both the lovers and haters want the Redskins to succeed.

So, stats can be massaged and stories can be embellished to advance your opinion or bias. I think the best thing to do (and what I try to do) is to really read what everyone has to offer. One might find that there is plenty to learn about football and the Redskins on this board.

1) Campbell did have a bad problem with scoring. That's not up for debate. He is accurate now, though. If we're going to put it into context, though, then we need to look at EVERYTHING. We can't just look at what kind of passes they were without seeing who was targeted, who else was running which routes, against which defense, off of play-action or not, etc.

2) I'm going to have to agree with myself. I've got nearly 10K posts proving that if I want to go after you, then I will. It was aimed at the anti-Campbell crew in general.

1.). I agree, and since I have been through this debate I have taken all that into context.. As I assume the person I quoted had, I was showing him a factor I believe contributed to campbells above average comp percentage, which I felt the poster may have purposefully left out, because it didn't support his pov

2.). "Well you must be very proud of yourself" (scwarzenagger voice) jk. I hope someone has used that soundboard and knows what I'm talking about, and I appreciate that you don't bunch me into a group. Sorry if I came off as overly hostile, but you must admit you can see how I could have misinterpreted your post, which I felt was directed at me

Exactly...it's about discussing different opinions and perspectives. That's what is so great about sports. You can have a player (Campbell for example) who is loved by some and hated by others. It wouldn't be so odd or unique except that both the lovers and haters want the Redskins to succeed.

So, stats can be massaged and stories can be embellished to advance your opinion or bias. I think the best thing to do (and what I try to do) is to really read what everyone has to offer. One might find that there is plenty to learn about football and the Redskins on this board.

It's hard not to get passionate and it snowballs quickly. But if we remember, like you said, that we're on this board because we're Redskins fans, then it gives a bit of perspective on others' views. It's okay not to hate each other.

What you guys are saying, though, is subjective. A completed pass is a completed pass, and that makes him accurate. If you want to break it down by distance, that's fine, but his overall completion percentage is what's important when determining overall accuracy.
It is very subjective, but we're talking about a couple % points. That's a few throws here or there.

McNabb actually gets kinda a bad rap for his accuracy due to him playing injured in some big nationally televised games in the past, but any Skins fan should know if you keep him the pocket he will miss plenty of throws he should make.

He's at 59% and Jason is at 61% for their careers. Statistically we're talking about less then 1 completion a game that could put McNabb a higher percentage then Jason.

1.). I agree, and since I have been through this debate I have taken all that into context.. As I assume the person I quoted had, I was showing him a factor I believe contributed to campbells above average comp percentage.

2.). "Well you must be very proud of yourself" (scwarzenagger voice) jk. I hope someone has used that soundboard and knows what I'm talking about, and I appreciate that you don't bunch me into a group. Sorry if I came off as overly hostile, but you must admit you can see how I could have misinterpreted your post, which I felt was directed at me

1) Agreeing to disagree. You're clearly well-informed, but we're both using two sets of criteria to judge.

2) I'm very proud that I have had time to type 10,000 posts in four years. I'm clearly doing a lot with my life. :(

And yeah, I can see where you would get that idea. I'm thinking of maybe three posters to whom that was aimed. You're not one of them. :)

It is very subjective, but we're talking about a couple % points. That's a few throws here or there.

McNabb actually gets kinda a bad rap for his accuracy due to him playing injured in some big nationally televised games in the past, but any Skins fan should know if you keep him the pocket he will miss plenty of throws he should make.

He's at 59% and Jason is at 61% for their careers. Statistically we're talking about less then 1 completion a game that could put McNabb a higher percentage then Jason.

Eh, I don't really care about McNabb. To be honest, I would take McNabb in '99 in a heartbeat.

As for Campbell, I think that I may be in the wrong thread. I'm judging based on the past four games and looking to the next three to see his trajectory. I'm not looking at his body of work because players can get better.

1) Agreeing to disagree. You're clearly well-informed, but we're both using two sets of criteria to judge.

2) I'm very proud that I have had time to type 10,000 posts in four years. I'm clearly doing a lot with my life. :(

And yeah, I can see where you would get that idea. I'm thinking of maybe three posters to whom that was aimed. You're not one of them. :)

-hey I'm right on my way to be up there with you four years down the line.. ES is an addiction, you just can't ever get enough of it

You mean UNDERTHROW, JC hasn't overthrown anyone on a deep ball in 2 years.

dude, hes done that literally like 8 times this season. maybe more than that. on passes hes thrown through the air 31 yards or more, hes 1/12. that means 11 times its either sailed over someones head or hes badly underthrown it.

say what you want about anything regarding JCs game positive or negative, but its really hard to argue that hes good deep. hes pretty much dreadful.

Eh, I don't really care about McNabb. To be honest, I would take McNabb in '99 in a heartbeat.

As for Campbell, I think that I may be in the wrong thread. I'm judging based on the past four games and looking to the next three to see his trajectory. I'm not looking at his body of work because players can get better.

Yea, I was just using a random example about completion %.

The past 4 games Jason has been very accurate and made throws that he usually has trouble with. He dropped a few very nice throws over the top of defenders into Devin's bread basket.

this is what im talking about. makes u wonder what games he was watching if at all. mind boggling.

Was that directed at me? If so, then you need to get off my ass. I'm home sick with strep and don't need your usual, especially when I've been very civil to you the past few days.

Yea, I was just using a random example about completion %.

The past 4 games Jason has been very accurate and made throws that he usually has trouble with. He dropped a few very nice throws over the top of defenders into Devin's bread basket.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, again, I'm just looking at his most recent games. I'm giving him three more games to either prove it or lose it.

Archived