Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cat fighting gets ugly during BYU vs. New Mexico women's soccer match

China

The first incident was justified....i'd have punched a dude in the back like that too if they threw an elbow into my chest

Thing is, we have footage of some of this stuff, there's nothing indicating to me that one elbow sent this ***** into a tailspin. It's more likely that the elbow was payback for something she had done previously or said.

Also, there's positioning and stuff but don't keep pushing up against my back when I have position. This isn't the post in basketball, get off me. Get on me like that you might catch an elbow. It was pretty restrained too, not a vicious shot.

This young woman went way beyond any recognizable lines of sportsmanship and into the realm of criminal assault. That no one noticed this and she received no penalty during the game, other than one call (which was not nearly the worst violation during the game) is a travesty.

I do think it would be interesting to see what would happen if a basketball player did something like this. Would some people feel it was time for a "national conversation" about hip hop thug culture or the like?

I do think it would be interesting to see what would happen if a basketball player did something like this. Would some people feel it was time for a "national conversation" about hip hop thug culture or the like?

In HS, I went to grab a rebound, and this guy on the other team (he laughed when I came into the game to guard him) grabbed it next to me, and tried to hit me in the throat with his elbow as he whipped around on purpose. I screamed some obscenities in his direction and shoved/swung at him....I got a technical and was yelled at in the lockerroom at halftime, but it was well worth it. That dip**** knew i wasnt going to take his ****.

I got him later in the game when I faked a shot and went up and under on him...my favorite play ever :D

Probably shouldn't be playing soccer anymore.

In all honesty, I wonder if criminal assault charge should be filed? There's rough play, and then there's violence on the sports field. I think this falls under the latter. Not exactly sure how that sort of thing happens though. I suppose one of the opposing players would have to file charges, which probably wouldn't happen.

Oh please!! :doh: While it went beyond the parameters of the game and she should have been tossed on the first blatant penalty, this is the most ridiculous thinking. Assault charges? Might as well arrest everyone in sports. Should the next batter who charges the mound be arrested for inciting a riot? Should the hockey players who fight also be charged with disorderly conduct? Typical over reaction by people in the U.S. nowadays.

Guys don't take this too far. She was blatant about it but soccer is filled with that stuff. Soccer is filled with harder to see incidents such as these that happen all the time. What you have here is two girls that got into it and decided to continue their behavior the entire game... one obviously was willing to take it farther than the other. The ref should be pulled as well.

Gotta agree. Off the ball things go unseen all the time. Obviously the hair pull was way out of line and though the ref missed it she's getting a harsh punishment. The rest of the "highlight reel" was meh... A yellow card maybe in there but nothing awful. And criminal charges? I think this might be the reaction because these are "innocent college women" what about dudes getting knocked the f out in any sports brawl. Speaking from my own soccer experiences here

Ref was asleep... but again and I say this with Men's soccer as well. The first dirty play you look at the ref. The second time something blatant is done you stand up and knock someone the f out. For some reason US soccer on every level fails to grasp this.

In brazil someone would have gotten a rear naked choke.

I just got a visual of some chick hitting someone with a superman punch or a grabbing #15 in a muai tai clinch and hitting her with a couple knees. :D

Talked with the daughter a short time ago once again and got a little more insight. She went to BYU's site and noticed that Schumway (sp?), the girl who was yanked down, is a fairly big girl - 6 ft tall. This Lambert girl must be pretty tall/big too. Wouldn't want to mess with these chicks - sheeeeeesh.

I would :hump:

:D

I'll play the devils advocate. At least in the first punch did no one see the elbow to the boob? Then you never see what might have "driven" her to the dirty play. Just like in football the ref always catches the retaliation.

I know the BYU football team has been very dirty in the past. So I'm not going to put all the blame on the NM player. BYU can whip it up.

No, I'm not condoning the throw down. But if you just take the "highlites" you can backup any arguement.

Talked with the daughter a short time ago once again and got a little more insight. She went to BYU's site and noticed that Schumway (sp?), the girl who was yanked down, is a fairly big girl - 6 ft. tall. This Lambert girl must be pretty tall/big too. Wouldn't want to mess with these chicks - sheeeeeesh.

6 feet? yes please.

She should not be allowed to play again. EVER. Seriously some of those tackles she did could have been career threatening. How the ref didn't give her a Red card is beyond me. I don't know if people on here played soccer but back in my senior year of high school during a summer tournament I got tackled from behind me right as I passed the ball. The dude almost tore my knee up. I only ended up with a pretty severe ankle sprain and ended up missing the season because of it. I only got to play in one game my senior year and that was in a tournament. She is a disgrace to the sport.

She should not be allowed to play again. EVER. Seriously some of those tackles she did could have been career threatening. How the ref didn't give her a Red card is beyond me. I don't know if people on here played soccer but back in my senior year of high school during a summer tournament I got tackled from behind me right as I passed the ball. The dude almost tore my knee up. I only ended up with a pretty severe ankle sprain and ended up missing the season because of it. I only got to play in one game my senior year and that was in a tournament. She is a disgrace to the sport.

Not sure where or what level you played, but as I said before aside from the hair pull (clear red card/major suspension) the "highlight reel" wasn't all that bad. It can be a rough game and I'd say there was 1 deserved yellow card in there. Dirty player yes, but I think the punishment fits.

Not sure where or what level you played, but as I said before aside from the hair pull (clear red card/major suspension) the "highlight reel" wasn't all that bad. It can be a rough game and I'd say there was 1 deserved yellow card in there. Dirty player yes, but I think the punishment fits.

The tackle on the far side of the field was accompanied by a punch to the face. She disguised it well, but that alone was enough to get her tossed.

The tackle on the far side of the field was accompanied by a punch to the face. She disguised it well, but that alone was enough to get her tossed.

I know what you're talking about and I think it was actually TWO blows to the head.

Also, I'd argue that her taking out the legs of the one girl without an attempt at the ball is fairly serious when added to the rest.

Like many things in life, it's not looking at discrete events but at a comprehensive picture, one which renders a final verdict to which the reasonable person can arrive.

I know soccer has it's rules, this girl is a beast. Outside of the obvious away from the ball roughness, this is how soccer should be played. I am partially kidding, because I actually really like how aggressive she plays the game.

I played Rugby for several years in college and mens club, it's amazing how soccer players over dramatize everything. If they actually get hurt from a obvious minor fall, I would hate to see the injuries they would face on the Rugby pitch.

When people cheap shot in Rugby it is common for the entire team to retaliate. Types of retaliation include stepping on people, raking people with your cleats, and pretty much anything goes when in a pile.

From what I can tell, she was pretty pissed for getting a elbow to the gut, I would have been also.

Roy Keane is the reason I don't want to see fighting ever taken out of hockey. If soccer players were more concerned with dealing with a dirty player to prevent future potential injuries instead of rolling around on the ground pleading to the ref, he'd never have gotten away with the **** he did.

Exactly, like I was saying in my previous post about Rugby. If you want to play dirty in Rugby, prepare to have the "I am a dirty player flag" flying above your head every second you are on the field.

It was varsity high school soccer. I only gave my example of getting tackled pretty rough because the dude who tackled me wasn't playing dirty at all during the game and he was very apologetic after it happened. This girl on the other hand had some vendetta so it could have ended pretty bad for the girl who got tackled. If not a straight red then she should have gotten two yellows.

Archived