Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RI: Zorn says Randle El is primary punt returner

Monte51Coleman

Are you saying that Danny Smith is the best at this job? Is he the expert? Does he not make mistakes? Has he ever coached a special teams probowler?

I'm saying he's the expert and you are not.

And for that matter your continuing to be wrong because your projecting and adding to this story.

I've added nothing. I make the assumption that, of the options available to him, Danny Smith prefers ARE -- obvious since he's the primary returner.

Last point and then I'll stop talking to you because I do not respect your opinions...

I'm devastated.

...check the stats. Moss's average vs. Randle El's average as a punt returner.

Not relevant. Zorn like Gibbs is unwilling to risk Moss as the primary returner.

You tell me how you can see that and combine it with the fact that El's been dropping punts and fumbling and say with a straight face that he's the best for the job?

I never said he was. I said that I have no reason to doubt Danny Smith's call.

You have to do more than make the argument that ARE doesn't do the job very well.

I think we can agree that ARE is not doing his job well, and hasn't for some time. Based on his lack of production a change is necessary and should have happened already. The team has options in S Moss, D Hall, and J Tryon. Based on stats the last couple of seasons, Moss has proven himself to be more productive than ARE when given an opportunity. Hall was a dynamic returner in college and has some experience returning punts in the pros as well. And Tryon returned punts in college and is one of the fastest players on the team.

Granted, no one on ES sees what the coaching staff sees in practice but I would be hard pressed to believe that we don't have someone who can do a better job than the meager production ARE has provided, given the players on the roster who have had previous success at the position.

Holy crap people, lets not be over sensative here. IMO What he ment by polish his face mask was probably a reference to him catching the ball off his face mask. as for the comment about dusting off his dancing shoes, that was probably in reference to the fact that he does indeed dance around when he catches the ball and gets 2 yrds.

Thanks. :)

Of course that is what was meant by my comment. Any person with an IQ greater than their shoe size could've figured that out.

I'm saying he's the expert and you are not.

I am saying you are not an expert and your opinion means about as much as mine. When that happens you need to look on the field. On the field stats show your wrong that El is not our best guy. You look with your eyes and everyone's eyes show that after fumbling away another punt last game that El's not the best. Add in the fact that it was just another whinny baby crying to the wimpy coach and the coach going against his own words that caused this change today and I say you got all of the reasons not to have El doing that job and you argue with no reasons for him to do it. Why you want to fight about this and simply argue is only known to you. I'm waiting to hear more of an arguement from you other then this second grade answer of "because he said so"....

I've added nothing. I make the assumption that, of the options available to him, Danny Smith prefers ARE -- obvious since he's the primary returner.

Well at least I got you to admit that your assuming and making up things, that's progress I guess. Do you think that the other posters here who are saying that not every man on the team is availible to perform such a dangerous job? I completely believe that. It's possible that El is the best man that Smith could use for the position if he was given some linemen, defensive players, 4th RB's, and no one else. It's easy to be a star when your competition is stripped of the playmakers.

... Oldfan's said the same thing himself in so many words in the past. No I don't feel like looking for that post..

You won't find it. I've never said anything about ARE I haven't said here. He's not a top notch primary returner, but I don't know that we have anyone better.

In this time of losing and needing to find an identity I don't think we need posters looking to pick arguements, I think we need unitity much more.

Your self-righteousness is as phony as a three-dollar bill. You don't like me because I've trounced you in debate a few times. It's not that hard to do.

I am saying you are not an expert and your opinion means about as much as mine.

I haven't given an opinion. I have only assumed that Danny Smith, the expert, knows more than I do. You obviously think you know more than he does.

Well at least I got you to admit that your assuming and making up things, that's progress I guess.

One can't think at all unless reasonable assumptions are made. That's not the same as "making up things." But, I won't take the time to explain that for you.

How can one guy be so good at KR on one team, and go to another team and suck at it?

Punt returning, but I get your point.

Actually, ARE did return kicks for Pittsburgh. He even had a KR for a TD back in 2002. And in 2004 he averaged 25+ yards a return. I was surprised we didn't try him as a kick returner here, at least in 06 when he still had some explosiveness.

What El brings to the table on punt returns is his ability to keep the ball in our possession. This season, that ability comes into question. He's not our most explosive returner, or exciting returner, but he (did) keep the ball in our possession.

In reality, Santana is probably our most explosive returner. I've never really seen much of Hall returning, so I'll leave that one out there. But I'm wondering if they are more careless with the ball? I have no idea.

It looks like we like to go conservative with our return game, though.

Hall's numbers in his limited experience as an NFL returner - 13 returns, 2 fumbles. That is concerning, and may be what's keeping this coaching staff from putting him back there as the main guy...

Hall's numbers in his limited experience as an NFL returner - 13 returns, 2 fumbles. That is concerning, and may be what's keeping this coaching staff from putting him back there as the main guy...

Possibly...but honestly what do you have to lose at this point? If ARE can fumble while we actually have momentum during a home division game, I'm willing to give someone else a shot.

We're probably going to lose the majority of our remaining games, so why not shake things up?

Archived