Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Rock vocalist of all time 70's-present

ZoEd

No love for Geoff Tate of Queensryche?

I caught the Iron Maiden show on Directv 101 as well as the Rush show. Maiden has been my favorite band more or less since I was in 5th grade. In recent years they've been relegated to just another band on my MP3 player and PC, while newer bands that are on the radio will get more of my attention, but they'll always be my favorite.

Just finished watching Iron Maiden on Direct TV's 101 Network, if you havent seen it you have to check it out.

After watching Iron Maiden live I think Bruce may have jumped pretty damn close to the top of my list. The man has range and his vocals are as smooth as silk. I haven't really listened to Iron Maiden since my teenage years and although I was always a fan of Bruce's voice I was never a huge Maiden fan. Hwever, now that I'm older I have much more appreciation for their music. It has me wanting to go out and buy all of their albums, unfortunately there's a ton of them.

I also realized something while watching this show. What happened to rock and roll that told a story? If I had to list my top ten all time favorite rock songs every one of them probably tells a story.

If you're a fan of Bruce Dickenson, you may want to give Tobias Sammet a listen, as he's often favorably compared to Bruce. He's the band-leader/singer of Edguy and Avantasia: Down to the Devil

I'd like to throw in a nomination for Roy Khan of Kamelot. He's got a masterful voice.

Freddie Mercury.

Freddie is who I would go with as well. Everybody else is battling for second. There is no better voice in rock than Mercury.

The rest in no particular order

Plant

Bruce Dickinson

Ronnie James Dio

Joe Elliott

Scott Stapp

Steve Perry

Geoff Tate

Ian Gillan

Layne Staley

Same with Keith Moon. Easily one of the best ever, and died way, way too young.

And both drummers died as a result of alcohol abuse.

Not just drummers. One of my favorite guitarists, Steve Clark died of alcohol abuse as well. Apparently painkillers mixed with alcohol are a bad combination. :refill:Clark's blood alcohol level was twice what killed Bonham. That in itself in unbelievable.

He was on the cusp. Their stuff was still popular in the 70's I think.

While different, I think their early 70's stuff is as good as their music from the 60's. It would have been real interesting to see where The Doors would have gone with music. Could've been really special or they could've just faded into obscurity. Personally I think it would've been the former.

And Morrison's voice is definitely my personal favorite of all time. That scream and that snarl are just perfect and a perfect compliment to the monotone-like voice he would also use.

They are definitely a 60's band though (and they're hated by many for some reason so I doubt many would put Morrison up there even if they were a legitimate 70's band.)

Freddy Mercury is next for me.

Followed by Cobain :evilg:

:beavisnbutthead:

Gunna skew from the pack a little here

Bruce Dickenson... Get an idea of his range listen to Tattooed Millionaire solo album, awesome awesome album.

David Coverdale ... if you've ever heard his early blues work you'd understand why i rate him above plant

Sabastian Bach... Talking pure talent and range here. The man can belt

Robert Plant... Can't have a list like this without him on it.

Steven Tyler... Lots of range, lots of different ways to bring a song out

Paul Stanley, dude can do it all like him or him, he's a master of his craft.

Stevie Ray Vaughn, on pure uniquness.. Maybe not the most talented singer in the world, but he makes it work.

Scott Weiland

I have no idea how it took NINE pages of this discussion to see a mention of Kurt Cobain. You will not hear a more raw, emotion-infused, pure voice in this lifetime. I'd put Cobain at the top.

I'd follow him up with Keenan. That guy has a range that is unbelievable, both in terms of notes and the type of voice that he can produce ("The Pot" versus the opening of "Ticks And Leeches").

Third would be Cornell for me. Now THAT is a range.

Fourth would be Staley. That may just be a love for the band, but damn, emotion > quality of voice every time.

Three guesses as to what decade of music I listen to the most. :)

Gunna skew from the pack a little here

Bruce Dickenson... Get an idea of his range listen to Tattooed Millionaire solo album, awesome awesome album.

David Coverdale ... if you've ever heard his early blues work you'd understand why i rate him above plant

Sabastian Bach... Talking pure talent and range here. The man can belt

Robert Plant... Can't have a list like this without him on it.

Steven Tyler... Lots of range, lots of different ways to bring a song out

Paul Stanley, dude can do it all like him or him, he's a master of his craft.

Stevie Ray Vaughn, on pure uniquness.. Maybe not the most talented singer in the world, but he makes it work.

Scott Weiland

This is a fine list. Needs more Halford and Bowie.

Archived