Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Rock vocalist of all time 70's-present

ZoEd

.... and Paul Rogers, on vocals!!!!

BTW, I agree that Robert Plant is the best of the group.

I saw him in concert recently, and even at his age, and after all these years, he still has one of the best voices ever. In fact, it seems like it's gotten better over time.

Brad Delp, Paul Rogers; both excellent vocalists. Don't know if I'd elevate them to my top ten but both are outstanding.

When I originally though of starting this thread I really didn't think there were that many "great" vocalists but it's hard to argue with any of the ones posted, for the most part. A lot of it comes down to personal taste I guess.

Funny thing, I had the radio playing in the background and "Back in the Saddle" came on by Aerosmith. Am I alone in thinking that Steven Tyler's voice has gotten worse over the years? I loved his vocals on their early stuff but it seems like all he does is scream anymore.

I agree with Hetfield to an extent. What I find ironic is most Metallica fans thought the band became sellouts when he learned how to sing on the "Black" album. His vocals and the bands overall quality has continued to evolve, except for Jason Newstead leaving, I still think he's a better bassist.

If you're talking about talent on his instrument he is certainly not the better bassist. If you're talking about the energy be brought, his backing vocals, etc. then maybe he was. Oh well, as James Hetfield said about 15 times in a row in that some kind of monster video "He quit the ****ing band!!!"

Personally I always thought that while Hetfield didn't have anything like the polished voices Mercury and others had, he had that gritty, intense, and angry voice that nobody else really did. Usually in order to sound like that people end up sounding whiney, or going too over the top and shrieking and grunting the entire song.

I always thought if you gave James almost any kind of rock song to do a cover of, he could use his normal singing voice and it would still sound awesome.

Personally guys like Axl piss me off. Half of his words are that "sweet child of mi-EEEYINNNNNEEEE" crap where he over-extends the ending of a word. Little things like that drive me nuts. Hetfield started doing that uh ending-AH to-UHHH a lot of his words-SSAAAAAA during the load-UH eraaaaaHHHHHHHH. It annoyed me, I'm glad he stopped.

Also, a lot of the singers on that list didn't have to sing while also being the greatest rhythm guitarist of all time. It's easy to stand up there and sing well with only a microphone. It's another thing to do it while you're playing the main riff to blackened or battery.

If you're talking about talent on his instrument he is certainly not the better bassist. If you're talking about the energy be brought, his backing vocals, etc. then maybe he was. Oh well, as James Hetfield said about 15 times in a row in that some kind of monster video "He quit the ****ing band!!!"

Personally I always thought that while Hetfield didn't have anything like the polished voices Mercury and others had, he had that gritty, intense, and angry voice that nobody else really did. Usually in order to sound like that people end up sounding whiney, or going too over the top and shrieking and grunting the entire song.

I always thought if you gave James almost any kind of rock song to do a cover of, he could use his normal singing voice and it would still sound awesome.

Personally guys like Axl piss me off. Half of his words are that "sweet child of mi-EEEYINNNNNEEEE" crap where he over-extends the ending of a word. Little things like that drive me nuts. Hetfield started doing that uh ending-AH to-UHHH a lot of his words-SSAAAAAA during the load-UH eraaaaaHHHHHHHH. It annoyed me, I'm glad he stopped.

Also, a lot of the singers on that list didn't have to sing while also being the greatest rhythm guitarist of all time. It's easy to stand up there and sing well with only a microphone. It's another thing to do it while you're playing the main riff to blackened or battery.

No one could ever replace Jason IMO. All the times I saw Metallica he was like the only guy I watched. He brought so much freaking energy to the stage.

I see your point about Axl but the guy could still sing. As for James and the annyoing endings during his phrasing, yea it was a little over the top and it's good to see he abandoned it for the most part.

Jimmy Dewar is one of the most underrated rock vocalists of all time. If you're talking about rock singers with range Freddie Mercury and Bono (if you consider U2 rock) are in the top tier. If you're looking at great frontmen, there are a lot of them, Jim Morrison hasn't even been mentioned yet.

Robert Plant and it isn't particularly close.

I'd swap out Axl for Hetfield (might not be the better pure voice, but longevity counts for something to me) and move Freddy Mercury higher on the list.

http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/song/Going_to_California_BBC_/11812686

Can't forget about him

http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/album/Salival/146806

I'll also add........

Matthew Bellamy:

http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/song/United_States_Of_Eurasia_Collateral_Damage_/23010074

Thom Yorke:

http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/song/Optimistic/21865804

Jeff Buckley:

http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/song/Jeff_Buckley_Mojo_Pin/282095

Rock was born in the summer of 55, so why is this "all time from 70's on"?

And why is Ronnie James Dio not on that list? Love him or hate him, he may be shorter than Chase Daniels little brother, but in his 60's and that dude can freaking wale.

Man, three pages and no one mentions Dio? Ronnie James Dio is the man and even in his 60s he's still nailing it.

6th post in the thread :D

Jimmy Dewar is one of the most underrated rock vocalists of all time. If you're talking about rock singers with range Freddie Mercury and Bono (if you consider U2 rock) are in the top tier. If you're looking at great frontmen, there are a lot of them, Jim Morrison hasn't even been mentioned yet.

Morrison died in Summer, '71. I think they released two albums in the 70's so they technically count but he's definitely more of a 60's icon.

to be honest I am absolutely astounded that no one has mentioned Ian Gillan. Around the period '70-'73 with Deep Purple he was singing at a level that frankly left Plant miles behind. Of course he was then replaced by Coverdale who back then with Purple and early Whitesnake was a fantastic vocalist.

I agree with others too about Ronnie James Dio. Get yourself a copy of 'Rainbow Rising' with Dio, Ritchie Blackmore and Cozy Powell cranked up to 11 on the tracks 'Stargazer' and 'Light In The Black'. A ground breaking album in my opinion that made Dio a rock vocal legend.

To me this discussion starts with Roger Daltrey, who I personally think was a better singer than Plant.

One certainly worthy of being included in this discussion is Russell Allen of Symphony X. He has the most versatility of anyone in the heavy metal scene.

Hmm, I always figured The Doors to be a 70's band for some reason. My mistake.

He was on the cusp. Their stuff was still popular in the 70's I think.

One I thought of after hearing Empire, Geoff Tate of Queensryche.

Archived