Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Rock vocalist of all time 70's-present

ZoEd

I love The Who and Daltry. His voice was made for rock and roll. I should have had him in my original top 5. Hell, I'll go ahead and take Axl off my top 10 and add Daltry, just simply overlooked him. As this thread has progressed I'm almost embarrased that I even put Axl in my top 10.

Seriously? Axl may be a basket case but dude could sing.

Honorable mentions to

David Coverdale, Whitesnake

Jeff Keith, Tesla

Joey Tempest, Europe

Geddy Lee, Rush

Roger Daltry, The Who

great call on keith- still love tesla. underrated, IMO.

love rush and lee, although i realize he is an acquired taste.

as for brad delp (thought i saw you mention him), LOVE boston. love em! one of my favorite bands of all time. more than a feelin, peace of mind.......sux that he's dead. BUT- live, delp wasnt so great. they did alot of stuff in the studio to make him sound that awesome. :(

great call on keith- still love tesla. underrated, IMO.

love rush and lee, although i realize he is an acquired taste.

as for brad delp (thought i saw you mention him), LOVE boston. love em! one of my favorite bands of all time. more than a feelin, peace of mind.......sux that he's dead. BUT- live, delp wasnt so great. they did alot of stuff in the studio to make him sound that awesome. :(

Tesla was what made bust out the CD's and update my visor CD holder. I love Tesla, always have. Keith on Love song, voice was amazing. His power notes seem effortless.

Didn't know that about Delp, didn't know there was a lot of "studio magic" back when they were recording.

Didn't hear mention of John Bon Jovi. He sounds as good live if not better than on his albums.

I'd go with Freddie and Steve Perry.

One of my tops not mentioned is Ann Wilson. She could/can sure belt it.

Yeah, pretty underrated. He was really strong when he let it fly, like at the end of Young Americans.

First girl mentioned.

I'd go with Freddie and Steve Perry.

One of my tops not mentioned is Ann Wilson. She could/can sure belt it.

Yeah, Steve Perry has an awesome voice...Journey just isn't the same without him.

As far as Ann Wilson goes, I saw her in concert in Las Vegas years ago, and WOW, that woman could freakin' WAIL!!! She was PHENOMENAL live!!!

Tesla was what made bust out the CD's and update my visor CD holder. I love Tesla, always have. Keith on Love song, voice was amazing. His power notes seem effortless.

Didn't know that about Delp, didn't know there was a lot of "studio magic" back when they were recording.

Didn't hear mention of John Bon Jovi. He sounds as good live if not better than on his albums.

i love 'love song' and 'the way it is'. the man has a great, pure rock voice.

as for delp, google some live boston videos on youtube. its not that he necessarily sounds bad, just not quite like the studio. its that def leppard 'hysteria' multi-tracked, too clean sound (which, as i said, i love :) ) i think it has something to do with 'rockman' technology. some kind of device sholz came up with to produce that kind of sound.

the new boston singer- mark decarlo i think his name is- actually sounds more like delp than delp!

i saw sebastian bach live in frederick about 10 years ago and that man could wail just like he does on their CD's. i was impressed. i remember he said 'you rock, baltimore...i mean, frederick!'. doh!

holy hell I can't believe so many people are saying Robert Plant.

Plant, IMO, is probably the worst singer in the history of rock (that was part of a big-time band). He sounds like a 12 year old eunuch. Terrible, terrible, terrible voice. Just awful.

The correct answer to the OP is Eddie Vedder and its not close

watch him with tom petty (esp from the 4:00 mark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK7Bks4XbD4

Eddie Vedder could embarrass any leader singer in music today. Give Vedder a time machine and he'd humiliate Elvis Presley too.

He's got the best combination of strength and tone of anyone, ever. He can overpower 2 guitars, a bass, and drums... but he's silky smooth and his pocket and control are perfect.

you put him on a stage with freddie or robert plant and you'd only hear Eddie

Eddie Vedder could embarrass any leader singer in music today. Give Vedder a time machine and he'd humiliate Elvis Presley too.
He's got the best combination of strength and tone of anyone, ever. He can overpower 2 guitars, a bass, and drums... but he's silky smooth and his pocket and control are perfect.

you put him on a stage with freddie or robert plant and you'd only hear Eddie

As much as I love Eddie!

To me it's still Elvis!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xtris_elvis-presley-falln-in-love_music

holy hell I can't believe so many people are saying Robert Plant.

Plant, IMO, is probably the worst singer in the history of rock (that was part of a big-time band). He sounds like a 12 year old eunuch. Terrible, terrible, terrible voice. Just awful.

The correct answer to the OP is Eddie Vedder and its not close

watch him with tom petty (esp from the 4:00 mark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK7Bks4XbD4

Come on Zoony, dislike Plant all you want, but to say the guy can't sing is just stupid. His vocal range and power disenegrates Vedder. :doh:

• 8 months later...

Just finished watching Iron Maiden on Direct TV's 101 Network, if you havent seen it you have to check it out.

After watching Iron Maiden live I think Bruce may have jumped pretty damn close to the top of my list. The man has range and his vocals are as smooth as silk. I haven't really listened to Iron Maiden since my teenage years and although I was always a fan of Bruce's voice I was never a huge Maiden fan. Hwever, now that I'm older I have much more appreciation for their music. It has me wanting to go out and buy all of their albums, unfortunately there's a ton of them.

I also realized something while watching this show. What happened to rock and roll that told a story? If I had to list my top ten all time favorite rock songs every one of them probably tells a story.

Archived