Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Rock vocalist of all time 70's-present

ZoEd

If you think Queen was rock, then FM is the greatest ever. Plant is a solid #2.

I would consider Queen Pop Rock, wouldn't you? I think it's hard to place 70's music into genre's. Journey and Boston aren't really hardcore rock but they're not really Pop IMO either.

He's not in the top 5, but you have to consider John Bush on the short list.

Yes John Bush Rules!!!!:D

I always thought if you gave James almost any kind of rock song to do a cover of, he could use his normal singing voice and it would still sound awesome.

Also, a lot of the singers on that list didn't have to sing while also being the greatest rhythm guitarist of all time. It's easy to stand up there and sing well with only a microphone. It's another thing to do it while you're playing the main riff to blackened or battery.

Papa Het is the man!! See my sig.

I agree with Hetfield to an extent. What I find ironic is most Metallica fans thought the band became sellouts when he learned how to sing on the "Black" album. His vocals and the bands overall quality has continued to evolve, except for Jason Newstead leaving, I still think he's a better bassist.

Rob Trujillo > Jason Newstead. But neither are good enough to carry Cliff Burtons bass.

Yes John Bush Rules!!!!:D

Papa Het is the man!! See my sig.

Rob Trujillo > Jason Newstead. But neither are good enough to carry Cliff Burtons bass.

Trujillo is badass on the bass, I really liked him with Ozzy. However, he just doesn't bring the energy and attitude to the stage as Jason did.

Yes Motorhead, Elvis is the man.

I don't know, Freddy Mercury just sounded like a trained singer to me. Where some of the other good singers sounded more natural/raw. He had a very good voice, but I'm not a great fan of his singing.

Although Mercury's speaking voice naturally fell in the baritone range, he delivered most songs in the tenor range . Biographer David Bret described his voice as "escalating within a few bars from a deep, throaty rock-growl to tender, vibrant tenor, then on to a high-pitched, perfect coloratura, pure and crystalline in the upper reaches". Spanish soprano Montserrat Caballé, with whom Mercury recorded an album, expressed her opinion that "the difference between Freddie and almost all the other rock stars was that he was selling the voice". As Queen's career progressed, he would increasingly alter the highest notes of their songs when live, often harmonizing with seconds, thirds or fifths instead. Mercury suffered from vocal fold nodules and claimed never to have had any formal vocal training.

You need to hear Queen live at Hammersmith Odeon 1975 and some of those other shows from the 70's or listen to Ogre battle.

China you will love this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DvlYv5RrVQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnP7tOftEaM&feature=related

Gotta be Freddy Mercury. Dude could bring it like no other.

I'd put Roger Daltrey next.

A lot of these guys people are listing are just nobodies in comparison.

Agree. Fred was the best man. A great guitar player as well!

Brian May and Roger taylor said in a interview that there are times they are pissed at themselves bc at the time they didn't know what they had with Freddy.

PS Queen is my Fav band

Although Mercury's speaking voice naturally fell in the baritone range, he delivered most songs in the tenor range . Biographer David Bret described his voice as "escalating within a few bars from a deep, throaty rock-growl to tender, vibrant tenor, then on to a high-pitched, perfect coloratura, pure and crystalline in the upper reaches". Spanish soprano Montserrat Caballé, with whom Mercury recorded an album, expressed her opinion that "the difference between Freddie and almost all the other rock stars was that he was selling the voice". As Queen's career progressed, he would increasingly alter the highest notes of their songs when live, often harmonizing with seconds, thirds or fifths instead. Mercury suffered from vocal fold nodules and claimed never to have had any formal vocal training.

You need to hear Queen live at Hammersmith Odeon 1975 and some of those other shows from the 70's or listen to Ogre battle.

China you will love this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DvlYv5RrVQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnP7tOftEaM&feature=related

Or listen to "The Prophet's Song." What he does effortlessly in that song, oterh rock singers would give their left eye to be able to do.

Or listen to "The Prophet's Song." What he does effortlessly in that song, oterh rock singers would give their left eye to be able to do.

Agree. he was truly amazing. Even when he nailed The Show must go on in one take while being so sick. So inspiring.

Here is Prophets song live :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y1P4OjTQTQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MjRr3TJNxY&feature=related

1. Freddie Mercury - Queen

2. Axl Rose - GnFnR

3. Eddie Vedder - Pearl Jam

4. Glenn Danzig - Misfits, Samhain, Danzig(good until early 90's)

5. Chris Cornell - Soundgarden

6. Ozzy - Sabbath

7. Dicky Barrett - The Mighty Mighty Bosstones

8. Tom Araya - Slayer

9. Steve Perry - Journey

10. Scott Weiland - Stone Temple Pilots

Gotta have Roger Daltrey from The Who on the list.

WERD...I was wondering if someone was going to mention Daltrey...IMHO one of the greatest rock (notice I said rock, not metal) voices and one of the most dynamic frontmen of all time. His final shriek on "Won't Get Fooled Again" is one of the most epic wails ever, and still gives me chills when I hear it, even after all these years.

Archived