Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What was the last book you read?

JMS

I finished Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius on a plane last week.

Yes' date=' I am 8 years behind on my reading list, thank you.[/quote']

That's great book right there, the kid's got talent for sure.

Just read this one:

Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith Jon Krakauer

This is an interesting read about two things, the evolution/history (often bloody) of the Mormon church in America and a terribly tragic killing of a young mother and her daughter in Mormon country Utah---at the hand's of her brother in law---in the mid 1980's. The lack of remorse of the killer is chilling and unbelievable. Krakauer's a solid storyteller.

Just read this one:

This is an interesting read about two things, the evolution/history (often bloody) of the Mormon church in America and a terribly tragic killing of a young mother and her daughter---at the hand's of her brother in law---in the mid 1980's. The lack of remorse of the killer is chilling and unbelievable. Krakauer's a solid storyteller.

Fantastic book.

cool! I didnt realize micheal hadnt written them all!

It's an interesting story. The father Jeff wrote the Killer Angels over a series of years and then spent nearly than a decade trying to get it published. His dream was to be a sucessful writer and he never obtained that dream in his lifetime. He won the pulitzer prize in 1975 postumously having died never knowing how sucessful his book would become.

Micheal really picked up the fanchise at that point and ran with it, having witnessed his fathers dream and the fustration of pursuing that dream had on his father. Michael becoming the sucessful writter and ultimately becoming the caretaker of his fathers dream and legacy.

That's great book right there, the kid's got talent for sure.

Just read this one:

This is an interesting read about two things, the evolution/history (often bloody) of the Mormon church in America and a terribly tragic killing of a young mother and her daughter in Mormon country Utah---at the hand's of her brother in law---in the mid 1980's.

Does the book talk about the Mountain Meadows massacre?

Does the book talk about the Mountain Meadows massacre?

I was going to ask that too. When the Mormons tried to suceed, and where the US Army responded... nope.

Funny that the mormons are so important to the US Army today. Great workers, Great work ethic, don't drink smoke or do drugs; and have great language skills too. What more could you ask for in a military intarigator.

Anthem - Ayn Rand

Loved every second of it. Before that I read The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I just picked up Atlas Shrugged last night along with a Star Wars novel (that one is for mindless fun).

If you are into libertarian fiction, especially geared towards the sci-fi/fantasy genres, check out the list of Prometheus award winners. Its an award that is very specific for libertarian fiction.

I've found they are good reads even if somewhat off the beaten track.

If you are into libertarian fiction, especially geared towards the sci-fi/fantasy genres, check out the list of Prometheus award winners. Its an award that is very specific for libertarian fiction.

I've found they are good reads even if somewhat off the beaten track.

That sounds very good. I'll definitely check that out. Lately I've been hunting around for Hugo and Pulitzer winners. I'll add Prometheus to that list. Thanks for the tip.

Day by Day Armageddon, by J.L. Bourne, which is the diary of a man and his struggles to survive a zombie plague.

I'm glad I'm not the only one on this board that reads cheap horror/SciFi etc. I'm in the middle of a John Ringo book that I can't even remember the name of (an Invasion of Florida by hostile aliens through a Gateway) - funny thing is I don't even like Ringo's books that much.

anyone ever read any SM Stirling?

I loved the change series books! fun reads.

dies the Fire (2004) shows the effects on the planet—a world Nantucket left—of something called "The Change". Electricity, guns, explosives, internal combustion engines and steam power no longer work. The series mostly deals with the Willamette Valley area of Oregon, with some description of the United Kingdom. After describing how people in those places survive the loss of 200 years of technological progress (no power, no food, no weapons), the primary focus of this series turns to a conflict between a Portland-based neo-feudal dictatorship created by a sociopathic history professor, and the free communities of the Willamette Valley, most notably the Wiccan Clan Mackenzie and a group led by a former Marine, the Bearkillers.

Dies the Fire (2004-07-01)

The Protector's War (2005-09-06)

A Meeting at Corvallis (2006-09-05)

A second tetralogy, set 22 years after the Change, is in progress:

The Sunrise Lands (2007-09-04)

The Scourge of God (2008-09-02)

The Sword of the Lady (2009)

The High King of Montival (2010)

Sci-fi fan here

most recent books I've read (within the last month)

Seeker

Hidden Empire

Planet of Adventure

All were great but I like Planet of Adventure the best. Old school sci fi right there.

Seeker was pretty cool as well. Kept me interested through out.

Hidden Empire (first book of 7) was pretty boring the first half. It picked up and by the end I couldn't put it down. I just started on book 2 called a Forest of Stars.

Archived