Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What was the last book you read?

JMS

anyone ever read any SM Stirling?

I loved the change series books! fun reads.

)

I've read the first set but not the sequel (Starts with Sunrise Lands) I'm hoping that it comes out that it is Stirling's Draka that is behind the change (Goes back to his early books) The Draka were the best villians (and most vile imo) Stirling ever created. Would love to see the Nantucket civilization put them down (Figure with 4000 years to develop they would have the power to do so).

I was going to ask that too. When the Mormons tried to suceed, and where the US Army responded... nope.

Funny that the mormons are so important to the US Army today. Great workers, Great work ethic, don't drink smoke or do drugs; and have great language skills too. What more could you ask for in a military intarigator.

Krakauer doesn't paint the Mormon church (or at least some of the upper ranks of it) in a positive light in this part of the book. I didn't know anything about the incident until I read it and it's incredibly harrowing. He doesn't exactly paint Joseph Smith in glowing terms either. It's still very well written and the part about Elizabeth Smart, the young girl who was abducted a few years back, was a real eye-opener for me. Basically the author asserts that the girl went along with the kidnapping because her Mormon upbringing had served to make her subservient and accepting of that fate (perhaps a bit harsh given how young she was but I found it interesting that he said this was largely kept out of the national press).

Great stuff. All of Shaara's books are top notch.

I'm currently in the middle of American Gods, by Neil Gaiman

~Bang

Last book I finished was Anansi Boys by Gaiman, which I read on the heels of American Gods. I really like Gaiman's stuff.

Currently reading The Battle for New York by Schecter. Its about the early days of the American Revolution in NYC.

Does the book talk about the Mountain Meadows massacre?
I was going to ask that too. When the Mormons tried to suceed, and where the US Army responded... nope.

Its been a few years since I read it, but if I remember correctly they actually do talk about the Massacre, just not the US response.

I've read the first set but not the sequel (Starts with Sunrise Lands) I'm hoping that it comes out that it is Stirling's Draka that is behind the change (Goes back to his early books) The Draka were the best villians (and most vile imo) Stirling ever created. Would love to see the Nantucket civilization put them down (Figure with 4000 years to develop they would have the power to do so).

I have read most of the sequel series (the last one isnt out yet) but I havent read the Draka books yet. I think I'll have to read them too! The last book (second to last in the sunrise lands series) ends when they just land on Nantucket. I think you may be onto something with him tying other novels in with the story.

Glad to know another fan is out there!

Currently reading The Fellowship of the Ring (again).

Just finished (for school and for my own interest) Dirt: the Erosion of Civilizations, which is a look at the the rise and fall of different civilizations and how it's related to soil resources and soil management practices. Yeah, I know, it sounds boring, but I find this sort of thing rather intriguing.

Also just finished The Death and Life of Great American Cities, by Jane Jacobs. It's an interesting read, because she spent years and years researching the topic and observing why and how some neighborhoods fail while others succeed, and she puts it all together with some rather insightful analysis in a common sense manner which leaves you thinking, 'well, of course that's the way it works, isn't that obvious?'.

But what I found most interesting is that when she describes 'the kind of problem a city is' and 'how a city works', what she's actually talking about is Complex Systems Theory and how it applies to city planning. But she does it without using the terminology of the theory (sensitive dependence, networks, etc.), because the book was published a good decade before Complex Systems Theory was a formal theory at all.

It's kind of difficult to get into the book at first, but after you realize she's building a new theory of city planning, one based on observation of actual cities and their functionings, it picks up a bit.

I'm reading City at the End of time by Greg Bear.

Last book I finished was Anansi Boys by Gaiman, which I read on the heels of American Gods. I really like Gaiman's stuff.

If you like Neil Gaiman you should try some Clive Barker (Imajica, Weaveworld, and The Art series).

World War Z and it was awesome.

One of my all-time favorites.

I'm about to finish Terry Goodkind's Wizard's First Rule. I just got Wheel of Time: The Gathering Storm after waiting about four years for its release.

Once those are finished I'll be moving onto Book 4 in George RR Martin's epic series, A Song of Ice and Fire.

Don't bother picking up anymore of Goodkind's books. They are trash. One of the worst fantasy series I've ever read.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The-Rock

World War Z and it was awesome.

One of my all-time favorites.

If you guys liked World War Z I recommend "Day by Day Armageddon" by JL Bourne. Freaking awesome book.

I read "World War Z" and I just finished "Day by Day Armageddon," which was a fun read. I also recently saw some Star Wars book which had zombies (undead Stormtroopers on a Star Destroyer), which I want to check out as a novelty.

I am next going to read "The Road," which I have heard good things about. (I am a big fan of the post-apocalyptic genre.)

I'm glad I'm not the only one on this board that reads cheap horror/SciFi etc. I'm in the middle of a John Ringo book that I can't even remember the name of (an Invasion of Florida by hostile aliens through a Gateway) - funny thing is I don't even like Ringo's books that much.

I like anything with zombies, for sure. :D Not familiar with John Ringo, though, I have to admit.

I read "World War Z" and I just finished "Day by Day Armageddon," which was a fun read. I also recently saw some Star Wars book which had zombies (undead Stormtroopers on a Star Destroyer), which I want to check out as a novelty.

I am next going to read "The Road," which I have heard good things about. (I am a big fan of the post-apocalyptic genre.)

The Road is one of the most horrifying and depressing reads I have ever experienced and I loved every minute of it.

I have read most of the sequel series (the last one isnt out yet) but I havent read the Draka books yet. I think I'll have to read them too! The last book (second to last in the sunrise lands series) ends when they just land on Nantucket. I think you may be onto something with him tying other novels in with the story.

Glad to know another fan is out there!

Did you read the Nantucket series? Where Nantucket gets transported 4000 years into the past? (During the Change).

Did you read the Nantucket series? Where Nantucket gets transported 4000 years into the past? (During the Change).

yeah, read them all. In fact, I think they may use some of that in the final sunrise lands book. (High king of Montival)

I've enjoyed most of his stuff and now i'm excited to get the draka series thanks to you!

Archived