Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What was the last book you read?

JMS

I'm in the middle of two right now.

"Mr. Lincolns war"

It's a great pictorial journey through Lincolns life. Doesnt pull any punches and really makes you think differently about him iMHO

Also, Killer Angles by M. Shaara. great read on Gettysburg

next up will probably be the new robert Jordon book that came out this week. It's the first of 3 that are written from his notes after his death. I'm excited by it!

"The Fall of Berlin 1947"... I watched the movie Downfall about Hitler's last days and it got me curious. Man, there were some crazy stuff going on in Germany in those days with the Red Army marching in from the east and the Allies coming in from the North and West.

Most recently (last week) Bronson's Loose- the making of the Death Wish Films by Paul Talbot.

Good read and a lot of interesting trivia and behind the scene information. I've always been a huge fan of the Death Wish series.

I've also been reading a lot of the old 70's Edge paperback western series by George Gilman. Wow those books are violent. Makes the previously mentioned Death Wish seem PG-13.

I also tracked down my third copy of Midnight Blue- the Sonja Blue series. One of the most fun vampire series I've ever read. Long before it became fashionable and weak for the masses. I've lent two out and never got them back. This one's a hardcover so I'm hanging on to this one.

I just finished The Big Three in Economics.

It's about Adam Smith, Karl Marx and John Maynard Keynes. Very interesting book and suprisingly applicable to today's political debates.

Now I'm reading Vienna and Chicago, Friends or Foes?, which is a comparison of the beliefs of the Austrian economists (generally more libertarian and theoretical) and the Chicago/Friedman economists (not as libertarian, but still pro-market and very empirical).

The last book i finished reading was Homicide by David Simon (guy who created the wire). Amazing book about the police department and really just so insightful.

Currently reading The Corner by David Simon. Another amazing book at the lives of people living in inner city ghettos. If there is any book that will make you think differently about people living in the ghettos, its this one. Just amazing.

Is Jeff related to Michael Shaara? I'm enjoying the Killer Angles

Michael is Jeff's father. In fact, Jeff wrote "Gods and Generals" and "The Last Full Measure" to surround "The Killer Angels" and make a trilogy of the eastern Civil War after his father had died.

All three are just great reads.

~Bang

Right now I'm in the middle of Army at Dawn by Rick Atkinson. It's the first of his trilogy of the Allied campaign against Germany in WWII. This book is about the North Africa Campaign. I highly recommend it. Anyone who thinks the US was some military powerhouse before the war needs to read it.

cool! I didnt realize micheal hadnt written them all!

Yeah, most of those books are written by the son, actually. In addition to the Civil War books, I recommend Gone for Soliders which focuses on all the Civil War generals when they were fighting together in the Mexican War. Really interesting stuff.

Right now I'm in the middle of Army at Dawn by Rick Atkinson. It's the first of his trilogy of the Allied campaign against Germany in WWII. This book is about the North Africa Campaign. I highly recommend it. Anyone who thinks the US was some military powerhouse before the war needs to read it.

Yeah, the US Army was feeble in the decade before WW2, and, around 1939 or so, only had a few hundred thousand uniformed men and some clunky vehicles. Most people do not realize the US had to go into "plowshares to swords" mode before our first campaigns around 1942 or so. And even then it took our land forces a while before they were respectable in fighting prowess compared to the veteran German forces.

Archived