Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo: Palin Slams Obama's Spending in Debut Speech in Asia

AsburySkinsFan

Would 23 to 7 be a good enough result against the Rams?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Would 23 to 7 be a good enough result against the Rams?

I thought criticizing your own gov't was taboo when you are overseas. Seems to me I recall Carter catching a fair amount of flack over this from Conservatives recently, I surely hope that there is some consistency here.

HONG KONG (AFP) – Former US vice-presidential nominee Sarah Palin said the US government was wasting taxpayers' money and could aggravate poverty, said delegates at her first speech outside North America on Wednesday.

Palin, the former governor of Alaska, gave hundreds of financial big-hitters at the CLSA Investors' Forum in Hong Kong a wide-ranging speech that covered Alaska, international terrorism, US economic policy and trade with China.

Her performance, which was closed to the media, divided opinion.

Some of those who attended praised her forthright views on government social and economic intervention and others walked out early in disgust.

"She was brilliant," said a European delegate, on condition of anonymity.

"She said America was spending a lot of money and it was a temporary solution. Normal people are having to pay more and more but things don't get better. The rich will leave the country and the poor will get poorer."

Two US delegates left early, with one saying "it was awful, we couldn't stand it any longer". He declined to be identified.

Palin, who shot to national and international prominence after Senator John McCain picked her as his running mate last year, stepped down as Alaska governor in July but has provided little insight into her future plans.

She is expected to write a book and has said she will travel the country campaigning for candidates who share her political ideology.

In the CLSA speech, which lasted about 75 minutes, Palin also tackled the recent US trade spat with China, a country she said the United States should have the best possible relationship with.

According to delegates, she said US President Barack Obama's administration worsened an already difficult situation when earlier this month he slapped duties on Chinese tire imports blamed for costing American jobs.

They said she praised the economic policies of former US President Ronald Reagan and criticised the current administration for intervening too much during the recent financial crisis.

Although she touched on the threat posed to the United States by terrorism and talked about links with traditional US allies in Asia such as Japan, Australia and South Korea, one Asian delegate complained she devoted too much time to her home state of Alaska.

"It was almost more of a speech promoting investment in Alaska," he said, declining to be named.

"As fund managers we want to hear about the United States as a whole, not just about Alaska. And she criticised Obama a lot but offered no solutions."

Another said he was disappointed that she took only pre-arranged questions.

There were no apparent gaffes though from Palin, who was mocked during last year's presidential campaign for her lack of experience in foreign affairs and for her verbal blunders.

Several delegates saw the speech as a sign of her ambitions to run as a presidential candidate in 2012 and a useful indication of the potential direction of US politics in the future. "It was fairly right-wing populist stuff,' one US delegate said.

Palin blasted Obama's proposals on healthcare, reiterating a previous statement made to the press that the plan would include a bureaucratic "death panel" that would decide who gets assistance, he said.

Another from the United States said: "She frightens me because she strikes a chord with a certain segment of the population and I don't like it."

CLSA, an arm of French bank Credit Agricole, said it closed Palin's session to the media after she indicated that she would have to adjust her speech if reporters were present.

I have nothing to say. Hard to judge a speech that we aren't allowed to hear or read. :whoknows:

I wonder why that was. Maybe the same reason that the media was banned from O'Reilly's acceptance of his "Courage in Media" award from the Values group, and maybe the same reason that the media was barred from covering Glenn Beck receiving the key to the city.

I don't understand how what she says is of any importance to anyone. She quit the job that people elected her to do and has shown that she's just a weirdo who isn't very smart.

She's got a purdy face and she is really good appealing to the Conservative populist vote by spouting baseless and inflammatory rhetoric. What isn't there to love about her?

I thought criticizing your own gov't was taboo when you are overseas. Seems to me I recall Carter catching a fair amount of flack over this from Conservatives recently, I surely hope that there is some consistency here.

No, what was Taboo is Criticizing your own country, which Carter does do. Now if Palin Criticized the country, damn her too.

hmm..and where did Pelosi go sometime ago? Syria or something like that?

I would have to agree.

On your first trip overseas you do two things.

1. Talk about what you want to do, put forth your ideas.

2. Talk about the future of America and how much potential is still there.

Negativity is a bad move and that was a stupid idea.

but she's still hot.

Way to sidetrack all of the democrat downfalls and allow the spotlight to be moved to.....you.

Not a Palin fan or Obama fan for the most part. How can anyone take her desire for public service ( as this trip is all about running for president in 2012) serious when she does not even finish out her term as governor?

It's pretty hard to see how a communications major with an emphasis in journalism, who was a sports reporter, helped her husband run a commercial fishing operation, city council person, major and governor, would have a lot to add to this conference, but hey, I've seen whackier selections.

Perhaps a run for office in Chinese politics will help her out.

Please note, it is not her first trip overseas. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Palin

What a mess -- what does she offer to this audience? Why is she talking about U.S. domestic policy in an Asian event? Why is she attacking "liberalism" while making remarks on China's "liberalizing economy" (in front of an audience that supports liberal economics)? Why is she talking about "wealth redistribution" when she supports the Alaska's Clear and Equitable Share (which "redistributes" Alaskan oil revenues). Why is she talking about the growth in government when government grew while she was governor in Alaska?

Listen to this mangled paragraph:

"Now even Milton Friedman, he recognized that the free market is truly free when there is a level playing field for all participants, and good financial regulations aim to provide the transparency that we need to ensure the level playing field does exist, but we need not, we need to make sure that this regulatory reform that we’re talking about is aimed at the problems on Wall Street and won’t attack Main Street."

What in the world is she talking about?

What about this comment? "The opposite of a common-sense conservative is a liberalism that holds that there is no human problem that government can’t fix if only the right people are put in charge."

Huh -- isn't that the reason why she's in politics? :doh:

Her entire speech could have been generated with a right-wing talking points generator. "Reagan . . . freedom . . . tax cuts . . . deregulation . . . “cap-and-tax” scheme . . . death panels!" And so on, and so forth.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2009/09/23/excerpts-of-sarah-palins-speech-to-investors-in-hong-kong/

Oh, I noticed she made some subtle jabs at the President -- I am sure Republicans will be sure to condemn her for that, right?

I don't have a problem with it. She's campaigning early. She's not a member of the government anymore and can say what she wants. If it makes her look stupid, that's on her. If people want to follow her, that's on them. At this point she's no different than any of us, and we sure wouldn't expect to be muzzled just because we're abroad.

~Bang

"The opposite of a common-sense conservative is a liberalism that holds that there is no human problem that government can’t fix if only the right people are put in charge. Which is why I'm running for President in 2012 so I can go run the country and fix all of our nation's problems.

I just went ahead and finished her thought for her.

Archived