Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is going to return punts this season

redskin301

Some folks on this MB are insane. Devin Thomas has exactly one full season in the NFL and he's already a bust? What a very Snyderesque statement. Surely no one can improve. They are exactly as they are when they come into the league!

+1... look at santana's rookie season: 2 catches for 40 yards; his second season: 30 for 433; 3rd season: 74 for 1105.

let's hope our guys can make that kind of progress...

What i find hard to believe is that none has VOLUNTEERED to play PR. If you only get spot duty, what better way to get regular playing time with ball in your hands is to play special teams. Tryon, Thomas, Mason, or Rock should be BEGGING Dan Smith to catch punts.

I remember D Hall really wanted to try out, but I don't think he'd do any more than an occasional return. I still think ARE will be back there, and in the coaches' mind they probably think he'll do better because he won't be playing so many snaps as WR and won't have to run down the field as much in the slot.

I'm not convinced, since ARE's problem didn't look like it was because he was tired, instead, he tried to hard to make a move and never got anywhere. It's nice he wants to break one at every opportunity, but he gives a sure 5-10 yard return away for a hope that he can get a lot more, but that never happened. Either someone needs to tell him to just take what he can get, or put someone else in there who will.

I remember D Hall really wanted to try out, but I don't think he'd do any more than an occasional return. I still think ARE will be back there, and in the coaches' mind they probably think he'll do better because he won't be playing so many snaps as WR and won't have to run down the field as much in the slot.

I'm not convinced, since ARE's problem didn't look like it was because he was tired, instead, he tried to hard to make a move and never got anywhere. It's nice he wants to break one at every opportunity, but he gives a sure 5-10 yard return away for a hope that he can get a lot more, but that never happened. Either someone needs to tell him to just take what he can get, or put someone else in there who will.

i think we should let thomas and hall (since he wants it) give it a shot... ARE does not just run straight up the field and attack the gaps... he tries to shimmy past everyone and it obviously doesn't work..

what's the definition of insanity? doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?:doh1:

DT didn't even return punts in college. He was strictly a kickoff guy. It'll be ARE with the occasional appearance of Moss or D Hall.

right... that's what it WILL be, but is that what it SHOULD be?

i tried listening to danny smith's rationale but i was mesmerized by the pink blob in his mouth... and i came home covered in spit and smelling like watermelon

I don't think it's smart to put your #1 receiver back there and risk fatigue and injury. Randle El obviously can't get the job done. So my vote goes to Devin Thomas. He did well returning kickoffs and has experience in punt returns as well. We just need someone who can run upfield and not look like a contestant on Dancing with the Stars.

I'd love to put moss back there full time, we'd average 30+ yards a punt, but it's too risky, and I agree I think DT will get it done.

I thought last year we just had the worst ST coverage in the league and it wasn't ARE's fault, then Moss gets a few touches as well as a few TD's. I cringe every time ARE gets a punt. I think his average is -3. I'd rather have Haynesworth returning punts quite frankly.

I'd love to put moss back there full time, we'd average 30+ yards a punt, but it's too risky, and I agree I think DT will get it done.

I thought last year we just had the worst ST coverage in the league and it wasn't ARE's fault, then Moss gets a few touches as well as a few TD's. I cringe every time ARE gets a punt. I think his average is -3. I'd rather have Haynesworth returning punts quite frankly.

or the guy in your sig:hysterical:

The problem with Dorsey was that we kept hearing he was a great punt returner, but neither we nor the coaches saw it on the field. At least during preseason. He didn't really flash. I wouldn't mind seeing Thomas being given a shot although I have a feeling it will be Randle, but Lord knows that they kept giving everyone a shot to do it. As someone who hasn't been mentioned and did it in college (I think) I might not mind Tryon being given the opportunity.

I feel like running through a brick wall everytime Randle El returns a punt. He sucks so ****ing bad. What the hell does the coaching staff see in him?

This pretty much sums up how I feel, too.

I'd still take Mason over Alridge for the long-term, but damn, Alridge would help so much here if he just got his fumbilitis cured.

Archived