Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is going to return punts this season

redskin301

let's hope they just haven't gotten around to updating it yet

I think it's updated for personnel, and not for depth. At least I hope not, since they still have Randle El as the 2nd starting WR. Honestly, based on preseason play, Kelly and Thomas both outplayed Randle El, so there's no way he'll remain the 2nd WR. And Mason should at least replace Rock as the 3rd RB, mainly since Rock never plays at RB.

For PR, I'd like to see one of the young CBs be given a shot. I don't know if any of them have ever done it before, but I'd rather see them on returns than at CB. Especially Tryon, since he is a pretty fast dude.

I think it's updated for personnel, and not for depth. At least I hope not, since they still have Randle El as the 2nd starting WR. Honestly, based on preseason play, Kelly and Thomas both outplayed Randle El, so there's no way he'll remain the 2nd WR. And Mason should at least replace Rock as the 3rd RB, mainly since Rock never plays at RB.

For PR, I'd like to see one of the young CBs be given a shot. I don't know if any of them have ever done it before, but I'd rather see them on returns than at CB. Especially Tryon, since he is a pretty fast dude.

i wish they'd just make it an open competition... or something along those lines... we need to have someone other than ARE and moss (to keep him healthy) back there

Some folks on this MB are insane. Devin Thomas has exactly one full season in the NFL and he's already a bust?

In my defense, I was being mildly sarcastic/cynical, and I didn't proclaim him a bust; just said he was looking that way. My actual point, albeit not properly stated, is that he is more expendable back there than Moss or Kelly, which I think is quite evident.

Also, I've made several previous posts/threads stating that WRs seldom hit their stride before their 3rd year.

For those advocating DT, I obviously missed something this pre-season? He looked pretty good on KR I missed his PR. How did he do on the later?

I know it's unbelievable to hear when speaking about a guy who returned a punt for us, but he looked fast. He didn't do anything spectacular, but he didn't stand there dancing like a deer in headlights. He actually seemed to understand the importance of forward progress.

On a side note: Do you think the coaches pat ARE on the helmet after each return attempt? Do you think they tell him good job? When did his effort become "good enough?" I wonder how such mediocrity has been allowed to continue through so many changes in staff and personnel.

I think our primary PR should be D. Hall with DT or maybe Tryon backing him up. I believe its a given that Santana will come in just for spot duty and "special circumstances" just as he did last year.

But just to be logical, ARE will more than likely open the season as our starter retururnin punts.

signed Jones to practice squad and he was a special teams player in high school and at Hampton University here in Hampton,Virginia

I don't think it's smart to put your #1 receiver back there and risk fatigue and injury. Randle El obviously can't get the job done. So my vote goes to Devin Thomas. He did well returning kickoffs and has experience in punt returns as well. We just need someone who can run upfield and not look like a contestant on Dancing with the Stars.

After watching ARE all year last year there is no way we can go through an entire off season and preseason without finding a better alternative. There is no way they are going to send ARE back there again. With the speed burners being cut I would hope to see Devin Thomas back there.

Random question: Why not just have Rock do it? I've never seen what the big difference between KOR and PR is :whoknows:

I would take Rock over ARE but Rock is the special teams captain and I believe he calls the signals on the field for the punt return unit. He would not be able to do that if he was returning punts. I would think they would throw someone else back there rather than move Rock out of his normal role.

Random question: Why not just have Rock do it? I've never seen what the big difference between KOR and PR is :whoknows:

Rock has good speed and downfield vision, but his quick burst and elusiveness is arguably lacking. I seem to recall that explanation being given by a coach in the past, and it kind of lines up with observation.

When he gets a little head of steam like he can on KR, he's great because of his vision and speed. Often there are people around you during a PR so you need the escapability that I guess he lacks.

A kick return is a lot like a run play, where you find your blocks and holes and try to run through them. And since that's usually set up a good number of yards ahead (ideally), a straight-ahead RB like Rock will do pretty well with that.

Punt returns are different, since there's often a crowd around the returner, and they have to pick their way through it. Elusiveness and agility are what matters, and even the biggest Rock fan knows he doesn't really excel at that.

A kick return is a lot like a run play, where you find your blocks and holes and try to run through them. And since that's usually set up a good number of yards ahead (ideally), a straight-ahead RB like Rock will do pretty well with that.

Punt returns are different, since there's often a crowd around the returner, and they have to pick their way through it. Elusiveness and agility are what matters, and even the biggest Rock fan knows he doesn't really excel at that.

Ah, thanks for the explanation :cheers:

And it wasn't Rock specifically; I was wondering why MOST teams have different returners.

Archived