Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread (Stadium Edition)

Toe Jam

The lack of support in our team on the OFFICIAL message board of said team is appalling. These guys fought their hearts out and played all world ball for 7 weeks. In a week where we lose a playoff game and the future of our QB is in doubt, I come in here to learn more about it and I see the most vomit inducing threads ever instead. I don't always agree with things the team / players do, but I don't see a point in 15 threads about the doom and gloom our team is destined for (in YOUR opinions). We should be stoked about the upcoming season, what moves we make, and how we stack up against the division next year. This is year ONE of our current team state. We didn't crumble down the stretch, we played amazingly. So different from our last 5 years of play. Our offense could not be stopped and our defense got the ball back in Rob's hands time after time. Stop acting like scorned children. If you don't like what I just said, then this probably applies to you.

And thank the mods for shutting down that stupid blasphemy thread.

/rant Hopefully that ding I spoke of above does not follow this post.

HTTR!

Obviously, you haven't been here long. The board always goes into a depressive fit after a loss. Worse when our star QB got injured severely.

There is a reason why I don't come here for at least 24 hours after a loss.

No, I have not been an active member long. I guess I should temper my expectations. We are human, afterall. There are threads, like this one, where most of the ones on the front page belong. Thots do not = threads.

The lack of support in our team on the OFFICIAL message board of said team is appalling. These guys fought their hearts out and played all world ball for 7 weeks. In a week where we lose a playoff game and the future of our QB is in doubt, I come in here to learn more about it and I see the most vomit inducing threads ever instead. I don't always agree with things the team / players do, but I don't see a point in 15 threads about the doom and gloom our team is destined for (in YOUR opinions). We should be stoked about the upcoming season, what moves we make, and how we stack up against the division next year. This is year ONE of our current team state. We didn't crumble down the stretch, we played amazingly. So different from our last 5 years of play. Our offense could not be stopped and our defense got the ball back in Rob's hands time after time. Stop acting like scorned children. If you don't like what I just said, then this probably applies to you.

And thank the mods for shutting down that stupid blasphemy thread.

/rant Hopefully that ding I spoke of above does not follow this post.

HTTR!

Good post, DaGoonie. We weren't just good this year, we were great! Seven straight wins? I haven't done the research to find the last streak that long, but I know it's been a while. I haven't been this happy with the team and the way they said,"No, we're not giving up on this season" in many, many years.

Hail!

heres a random "thot"...are we going to see the white on red next season? i know we didnt use it at all this season, cause of the 80th anniversary uniforms (which btw we only wore ONCE this season, what was up with that???). i know RG3 looks great as the redskins QB in those uniforms, but we havent seen him in burgundy on burgundy and white on burgundy yet. would be nice to see :)

Without looking I am going to guess it was 1996 when we started out 7-1 (after losing the first game, don't remember who that team was). I don't remember that year too much, but it still amazes me that we didn't even make the playoffs that year. :doh:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

This started out as a random thought, after having an ES matter floating in my head this last week, based on PMs and reading. But it got longer, and yet I still don't want to start a new thread just for it. So I'm bumping this (now that our search is finally working (yay)) and it's going in here anyway as a longer random thought.  :D

Hey...don't be a gratuitous dick on ES, especially too often.  B)

No matter "who" you are (or think you are), you are just as eligible for a temporary OR permanent goodbye if you abuse the turf. Read our rules. Even though we make it clear that this is not a site where staff deliberately strive for a dominance of warm and fuzzy, or molly-coddling, or phony saccharine politeness handed out with all the selectivity of candy to Halloween'ers, neither is ES a playground for unmerited dickishness, especially if repetitive. 

See what we say about such things in rules 5, 18, and 12, specifically, as well as the "intro text" on the rules page. A lot of time and work was put into the rules page to give as much input/info on board management as possible to members. The rules page is meant to be re-visited (and even pondered ^_^) over time by those who care about the community enough to do so. We have covered a lot in detail on that page, yet allowed for a lot of discernment and leeway to best guide an open, freely-exchanging, interesting, and informative, community.

Just as off the net, I (and the staff here as I know them) am not much into most forms of "pretending" in such social interaction matters. Despite typical pretensions that may play a role in wanting to appear "high roady" in comportment, and with a respectful nod to those few who are just genuinely of such benign demeanor, not all people who post on the internet are "equal" in any trait of course, or behave the same. And offline or online, in most situations, anyone's chosen behaviors usually have a lot to do with the level of civility, or any other quality, they receive (as it logically should be IMV).

Our suggested default ES position to staff and members is to be polite, friendly, and helpful, or at minimum, not be an ass. And to a dominating degree in both popular reception on the site and the perusings on quality of content by ourselves and informed others, it seems to work very well, even if making a mod's tasks a bit more labor intensive.  :huh:  :wacko:  :P

I know I allow myself a choice of whether I want to meet someone on the same ground I see them offering me or other posters---i.e., if by my read they're being a gratuitous dick, I may be harsh with them (within the rules). We allow people to be held accountable for their comments, even harshly when justified. Yet that doesn't mean "anything goes." It's really not that hard. But as with many things, some people make things much harder than necessary.

We like to see passion and engagement (even heated, when within the rules) just as much as those other, different, dynamics.

For the "how can we know what flies?" types (most folk have no troubles), beyond reading the rules and thinking/observing over time, I'd suggest taking any shots with due consideration as to their appropriateness in the context of the discussion and asking yourself "is this tone the one I'm sure is fitting, and the one I'm willing to be accountable for if i'm wrong." Sticking with attacking a poster's words (views) as exactly typed, and avoiding personalizing negative and generalized characteristics beyond that, is another good basic guideline to follow.  ;)

I can't tell you how grateful and impressed I am with how so many folks (members and staff) do such a good job of making this such a great place to spend time. You guys are awesome.  :wub:

Thanks.  :P  :)

A guy who looked a bit like RGIII at the farmer's market liked the jersey.  We were discussing shrimp at the seafood counter (gulf vs. GA local).   Said he was from Texas, played football in HS (didn't name what position), and didn't get looked at even once by Baylor! 

• 2 weeks later...

From a non-football forum I read. I wonder if this guy posts here?

Shanahan was a flop in Oakland....he got fired mid way through his second season there. Player revolt.

Shan got fired a couple of times in Denver. Fans there still hate his
guts for the way that he treated Jake "the snake" Plummer.His last few
teams there sucked.No one was surprised when Shanahan got canned."Better
late than never" was pretty much the universal reaction.

Shan had never even heard of Terrell Davis when Davis was drafted in a
late round in Shan's first season in Denver.Total blind luck

.Davis and Elway won two super bowls with Shanahan watching from the
sidelines. That team was built by Dan Reeves and had already been to the
Super Bowl multiple times.. Elway handed Shan the HC job there. As
Denver and Reeves OC, Shan had been fired by Reeves for taking sides
with Elway in a playcalling dispute. Kind of funny...getting fired by
Reeves eventually led to Shanahan having two super bowls handed to him
by Elway.

Dan Snyder saw Shanahan's two Super Bowl wins and never looked at the
whole picture when he hired hin.Lots of fans are still doing that.

Blind leading the blind.

Before RG3 was drafted,Shanahan's tenure in Washington was a total
failure.A total trainwreck both on and off the field.You can look it up.

Putting RG out on the field a week after a concussion and then letting
RG play with a totally blown out knee put a dark cloud over what should
have been a great season for RG and Hogskins fans.

The fact that we are going into this season with so much doubt about
RG's future in the NFL is totally a result of bad decision making by
Shanahan.Great coachairquote.gifno way.

• 1 month later...

Hey. I have a demand. :)

Let's make sure simple English words in thread titles have been spelled correctly. It's funny when a misspelled word is a rarity, but it's increasingly frequent (I suspect mobile devices and autocorrect is some of it). So the front page, week to week lately, is starting to suggest we have quite the illiterate contingent.  :P

Let's fix that.  B)