Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread (Stadium Edition)

Toe Jam

-That spark had nothing to do with our young stars emerging? Or possibly a new person calling the plays? Possibly the improved play from the line? etc etc.. You don't honestly think the loss of Portis has sparked this offense into gear do you? If it contributed at all, it was micro, and only because he was once again trying to play hurt, I hate how he has done that for us these past years.

Regardless, we're doing it without him.

I love Portis, one of my all-time favorite Redskins and clearly invaluable to our franchise's history, but it's done. The U is done in DC altogether. It's the next generation, and this generation knows when it keep its mouth shut.

I am forever grateful for what Portis has done for this team, but it's over.

Portis maybe a drama queen sometimes, very outspoken sometimes, and at the end of his effectiveness as an RB or at least on the downhill roll....but come on people he is not a cancer....the way the team has treated him this year, put him on IR (for a concussion...come on) and not spent money on OL for him or JC...he hasnt driven the team apart, been speaking to the media nonstop, or just flat out been an *** like TO would have been. He isnt a cancer and he's not the root of all the teams problems on/off the field so stop making him the scapegoat.

Exactly... cancer is such a strong word in my opinion to label Portis with. When he is healthy, he has given it all on the field for us.

yeah, until he doesnt get his way 100% of the time. DO you really think he is BETTER than a younger, healthier back?

the fact we have so much salary tied up in him leads me to beleive even more this team wont improve with him here.

Yes, I still wore my 26 jersey last week. funny that we win when I wear it and he doesnt play.

Jersey thing is a conicedence, fam, you know that. People have already looked into it, and releasing Portis could end up being a $14 million dollar cap hit. We'd hurt ourselves more releasing him then keeping him, if , in theory, he starts pouting again (which I don't believe he'll do).

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/jason-reid/portis-future-and-the-salary-c.html

Granted, 28 ain't young, but it isn't over-the-hill old either, or by any means done. I believe that he needs a younger back to complement him (and I'm not sold on Ganther yet to say he can be the guy). With the emergence of Davis and Thomas, having multiple passing options will help open up the offense even more for portis to be involved besides just pass blocking. I totally believe that with a revamped o-line (which we can do in one offseason), we can still get at least 2-3 quality years out of Clinton Portis.

And at the end of the day, our hands are tied in a way that we really don't have a choice but to hope for the best.

Moss, Thomas, Cooley, Davis, Portis on the field at the same time in a WCO is money to me, but only if we have an o-line that can allow play calling to take advantage of the weapons we have. Hopefully Portis comes back humble and hungry, that's what I'm praying for and that's what I see in our future.

Despite everything, Portis gives 100% every Sunday. The same cannot be said every single one of the other 52 players on this football team...

Edited by Renegade7

Regardless, we're doing it without him.

I love Portis, one of my all-time favorite Redskins and clearly invaluable to our franchise's history, but it's done. The U is done in DC altogether. It's the next generation, and this generation knows when it keep its mouth shut.

I am forever grateful for what Portis has done for this team, but it's over.

I think a lot of fans on here, love CP and that's fine, but the signs that he is finished are not being heeded. Its over. CP will not ever be the player that he was.

I was a big Clinton Portis fan. Unfortunately, the past couple of years its been a roller-coaster rider rooting for him.

His prima donna antics really pissed me off. The guy doesn't want to practice in pre-season, and during regular games ... And, this has certainly affected his game time conditioning and fitness. His burst of speed, and elusiveness has dimished considerably. And, what's worse is that he has become injury prone.

This is football, not family.

You think Clinton Portis cares a fraction as much about you as you do about him? Enough with the, "he deserves better" crap. The Redskins deserve a better football team and it has nothing to do with Clinton Portis as a man and everything to do with Clinton Portis as a player.

Portis doesn't have heart anymore. It is possible that he once did, but that went away seasons ago. He doesn't want to practice and he wants to delegate to the coaches when he plays. There isn't room for a player like that on this team, no way no how. I haven't even breached the subject of how his lack of heart has turned him into a wuss (sorry, couldn't find better words) or how his play has been steadily declining.

What does this have to do with Campbell? Everything.

Some will credit Sherm Lewis for the offensive success recently. I will credit Jason Campbell. Furthermore, with Portis still playing, Jason Campbell's (and the team's) success wouldn't have been possible. Jason Campbell has won this offense over, he is leading them and they are following. Do you really think Portis would have let this happen?

How did Campbell win the offense over? Quite simply. While Campbell was out there getting his ass kicked and making plays, one Sir Clinton Portis was crying about a headache and taking the rest of the season off.

I'm done with Portis and it's quite obvious what his time off has done for this team. It's allowed us time to install a true leader on offense, a guy who was a hard worker, a hard player and a real man.

It's amazing what a real leader will do for the offense.

How much longer is Portis signed for? Is his contract up after next year or does he have a year or two left after that?

If next year is indeed uncapped, and Portis has a couple years left with his fat contract, it would make a lot of sense to cut him this offseason. That way his contract would not be on the books for the 2011 season when the salary cap will count again.

He has played well enough for me to stop calling him "candle"

BUt for me, it is about what he will do the next 3 games. giants, cowboy and the chargers. if he plays well in those 3 games, i'm all for bringing campbell back next yr. but if he goes back to playing avg, no point of bringing him back. he has lot of issues being a GOOD QB in the league and i labeled him as one of the worst starting QB in the league. but for the past 3 games or so, he has def played better and if he contiues to do so rest of the season, it will show me one thing that will be OK with him being back next yr. COnsistency. It seems that campbell has a good game like 3very 20 games or so.

As for portis, if we are judging him bsaed on only this season, then yeah, he should go cause he had nothing in him. but the fact is, if anyone deserves another chance, it would be portis because he proved himself in the past that he can get it done and has been the only consistent player for us minus this yr. we know what portis is capable of , hence bring him him back and see if he still has it or not.

Thats the problem we always hold onto our older players to long let them go and move on

Man, Portis is gonna be back and he's gonna be pissed. I'd rather have a PO'd Clinton Portis with something to prove in B&G then any other color, for real for real. We'd be retarded to let him go and Portis be a monster somewhere else.

What are you going to do when CP retires in your Madden game. Hes washed up dude.......

This is football, not family.

You think Clinton Portis cares a fraction as much about you as you do about him? Enough with the, "he deserves better" crap. The Redskins deserve a better football team and it has nothing to do with Clinton Portis as a man and everything to do with Clinton Portis as a player.

Portis doesn't have heart anymore. It is possible that he once did, but that went away seasons ago. He doesn't want to practice and he wants to delegate to the coaches when he plays. There isn't room for a player like that on this team, no way no how. I haven't even breached the subject of how his lack of heart has turned him into a wuss (sorry, couldn't find better words) or how his play has been steadily declining.

What does this have to do with Campbell? Everything.

Some will credit Sherm Lewis for the offensive success recently. I will credit Jason Campbell. Furthermore, with Portis still playing, Jason Campbell's (and the team's) success wouldn't have been possible. Jason Campbell has won this offense over, he is leading them and they are following. Do you really think Portis would have let this happen?

How did Campbell win the offense over? Quite simply. While Campbell was out there getting his ass kicked and making plays, one Sir Clinton Portis was crying about a headache and taking the rest of the season off.

I'm done with Portis and it's quite obvious what his time off has done for this team. It's allowed us time to install a true leader on offense, a guy who was a hard worker, a hard player and a real man.

It's amazing what a real leader will do for the offense.

That's an excellent post, and one I agree with.

• 2 weeks later...

Who will be the first person to post "Jim Zorn Fired"

Bonus points if you can name who will be the second through fifth person to post the same article.

EDIT*** Winner, ofcourse, was Bubba the King- with a LINK at 0623... :hysterical:

Edited by NOLASKINSFAN

Why did Denver fire Shanahan? I want reasons why he should be our coach.

He was fired because he missed the playoffs for the 3rd strait season. His defense was bad and they were the reason why they missed the playoffs. Cutler and the offense were the reason why they were in the playoff hunt. He also didn't want to fire Bob Slowik his defensive coordinator.

Rcvd by email from wash post:

Shanahan expected to be named Redskins head coach, sources say.

Barring unforeseen glitches, former Denver head coach Mike Shanahan is expected

to be named Redskins head coach in an announcement that could come as early as

Tuesday, according to sources in the organization.

Today during the press conference I logged onto Extremeskins, a site which Ive been a member of since 2005. I dont think or believe for a second that my membership makes me a better fan or privied to some secret society. But I do think that since I took the time to be sign up and be a member, taken part in some discussions on these forums and for the most part followed the rules (Jumbo might not agree:)) I should be able to gain access to the site and not basically shut out because of the close to 800 VISITORS viewing this site.

Im sorry for my rant and I just want to know one thing from the mods. Is there a way to lock out non members during time of known high traffic by the members of ESKINS? Is there any way that we can limit the number of visitors on the site as to ensure members are given a fair chance. Im just asking because several times after trying to navigate through different pages I got a blank white screen. The site was extremely slow and I may be wrong but I believe it to be from the 1200 users on this site. Of those 1200 users the visitors outweighed the members almost 2-1. There were over 700 visitors to over 400 actual members. I know the other day during the speculation on whether Snyder was flying Shanahan in or not the visitor numbers soared then as well and once again the site was slow. I would not ***** at all if it the majority were other members, but these are visitors who are overwhelming the site.

Edited by fire5man80

Today during the press conference I logged onto Extremeskins, a site which Ive been a member of since 2005. I dont think or believe for a second that my membership makes me a better fan or privied to some secret society. But I do think that since I took the time to be sign up and be a member, taken part in some discussions on these forums and for the most part followed the rules (Jumbo might not agree:)) I should be able to gain access to the site and not basically shut out because of the close to 800 VISITORS viewing this site.

Im sorry for my rant and I just want to know one thing from the mods. Is there a way to lock out non members during time of known high traffic by the members of ESKINS? Is there any way that we can limit the number of visitors on the site as to ensure members are given a fair chance. Im just asking because several times after trying to navigate through different pages I got a blank white screen. The site was extremely slow and I may be wrong but I believe it to be from the 1200 users on this site. Of those 1200 users the visitors outweighed the members almost 2-1. There were over 700 visitors to over 400 actual members. I know the other day during the speculation on whether Snyder was flying Shanahan in or not the visitor numbers soared then as well and once again the site was slow. I would not ***** at all if it the majority were other members, but these are visitors who are overwhelming the site.

That's not a bad suggestion. I experience the same the thing, the server was very slow.