Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA SOCCER: USA VS. Mexico Wed 4pm

heyholetsgogrant

From a former military perspective, it is insulting to sit through a national game and listen to fellow soldiers cheer for their parents homeland. They bust their balls to come here and serve in the military, yet they are constantly longing and cheering for "home". If a soldier swears his allegience to the US, they should never cheer against the US. Period. It is called national pride. And there should never be multinational pride in the US military.

Sorry, but I'll restate that it's a soccer game. They are not rooting against the USA, they are rooting against the soccer team. I'll also add that the US isn't exactly a country rich in soccer history. For most other American countries, on the other hand, soccer is a huge part of their culture. It is something they take pride in, therefore when they are away from that country, soccer is how they stay connected.

It is the job of USA Soccer and the MNT to earn the respect of the American people. They are not entitled to any kind of support just because those people live here.

No, they cheer for the US when they are playing anybody but their "home country".

Yea, that's what I meant when I said 99/100 times they'll cheer for the US. And there are several posters on this board who support the national teams of the countries they or their families are from, in addition to supporting team USA. Shall we just go ahead and kick them out of the country now for being un-American?

Just to point out... I think the worst thing that happened to US Soccer recently was us beating Spain and taking Brazil to the limit. If not, there'd be a stronger case to can Bradley. We should make it to South Africa, but it's gonna be ugly. I hope I'm wrong, but I wont' be surprised if that's how it plays out.

QFT.

I loved watching it in South Africa, but it hurt us in the short term.

I'll play chicken little for a moment.

Right now the Hex standings are

Team MP W D L GF GA Pts

Costa Rica 6 4 0 2 9 9 12

Honduras 6 3 1 2 10 6 10

USA 6 3 1 2 11 8 10

Mexico 6 3 0 3 8 9 9

El Salvador 6 1 2 3 6 8 5

T and T 6 1 2 3 7 11 5

We're in 3rd place based on Goal Differential. 1 point ahead of Mexico in 4th place who would have to play a home and home vs 5th place from South America ( Think we can beat Ecuador, Argentina or Uruguay?), and 5 points ahead of not making it at all.

Our next game is hom evs El Sal. Make no mistake about it. This is a MUST WIN GAME. If we win, and get other good results meaning CR over Mexico and TnT over Honduras, we can breath a bit. But if we tie this game we're in alot of trouble. If we lose, we're completely ****ed.

Yea, that's what I meant when I said 99/100 times they'll cheer for the US. And there are several posters on this board who support the national teams of the countries they or their families are from, in addition to supporting team USA. Shall we just go ahead and kick them out of the country now for being un-American?

I support kicking Buenosdiaz and boysetsfire out of this country. :D

el salvador has made the world cup twice...ever.

the last time was 1982.

I am going to cheer for them to make the world cup...because it would be soooo rare for them to do it.

and as far as it making me unamerican, I am a salvadoran-american. I am going to cheer for el salvador because its in my blood and those are my people...just as much as the United States is. So when a team that my parents and family can be happy about maybe once in their lifetime for making the worldcup has a shot at making it...then i am going to cheer for el salvador

I mean if i were that good I would choose to represent the US and not El Salvador if given the choice to play for a country.

But my family coming to america in no way was meant to completely ignore our past

No, they cheer for the US when they are playing anybody but their "home country". In the military, the "home country" should be the one for whom you wear the uniform.

I agree. What bugged me the most was seeing American soldiers essentially choosing another country's flag over "their own". It isn't just about soccer, and I can understand if they are first generation Americans, but if you are going to wave another country's flag around don't do it while wearing US Army gear with Stars & Stripes behind you. JMO, and maybe wrong, but that's my feeling.

But my family coming to america in no way was meant to completely ignore our past

Yeah there was a guy on the radio - I don't listen to ESPN radio too religiously, only for games, I'm not a big fan of sports talk so I don't know his name - who was talking about the World Cup hopes for the US. Anyway amidst his conversation he mentioned he was Irish-American and would root for Ireland in general. When Ireland has success he goes crazy. It doesn't mean he's rooting against the US or anything, just that he is rooting for a country his family has ties to. Nothing wrong with that.

There's never anything wrong with that, but it's particularly the case with soccer I think, because the popularity outside of the US is so much stronger.

I would say if you were rooting against the US I'd have more of a question (just my opinion), but I think that's very different than rooting more for another team to make it. It's not like you'd be sad that the US made it.

That's how I look at it anyway. (To be clear, my only interest in soccer is in the US, but I have heard things like this before- which is where I formed my opinion)

To add on i don't expect my kids to have the same level of enthusiasm for El Salvador's soccer team, and thats fine...

Some of you have european ancestry too but you have to understand that its much more removed than most hispanic-americans here in the states. 40 years ago my parents were living in a **** hole in El Salvador so I am going to feel a little more connected to it.

To add on i don't expect my kids to have the same level of enthusiasm for El Salvador's soccer team, and thats fine...

Some of you have european ancestry too but you have to understand that its much more removed than most hispanic-americans here in the states. 40 years ago my parents were living in a **** hole in El Salvador so I am going to feel a little more connected to it.

No disrespect intended, just trying to understand your POV. If you parents lived in a ****hole in El Salvador, why would you want to feel connected to it? I lived in a ****** neighborhood growing up, and I want nothing to do with it today.

You don't have to explain yourself bro. You like both teams. There is nothing wrong with that. You just have to expect some static from the other soccer fans here because El Salvador is in the US's division. It's like liking the skins and eagles. If you have your reasons, what can you do? But don't expect the other to like it. Remember soccer isn't like football. International soccer is heated! (part of the reason I like it so much)

As for me I have two teams as well. USA and Chile. They are not in the same division and I can cheer happily for both. Nor will Chile place 5th in South America by the looks of it (cause they are kickin so much ass) so there is no chance they will play an elimination game against the USA. :)

You don't have to explain yourself bro. You like both teams. There is nothing wrong with that. You just have to expect some static from the other soccer fans here because El Salvador is in the US's division. It's like liking the skins and eagles. If you have your reasons, what can you do? But don't expect the other to like it. Remember soccer isn't like football. International soccer is heated! (part of the reason I like it so much)

As for me I have two teams as well. USA and Chile. They are not in the same division and I can cheer happily for both. Nor will Chile place 5th in South America by the looks of it (cause they are kickin so much ass) so there is no chance they will play an elimination game against the USA. :)

If Chile and the US played each other, who would you be rooting for?

If Chile and the US played each other, who would you be rooting for?

The better team. I'd hate to see the stronger squad fall only to see the winner fail soon after. I want to see one of my teams make it deep into the world cup and I will be upset when either loses. I favor the US team personally and know more about it than I do Chile's team.

Keep in mind, I was born in Chile. I'm not 1st generation... I'm the immigrant here to take your jobs. :) (I came here legally 20 year ago)

Sorry, but I'll restate that it's a soccer game. They are not rooting against the USA, they are rooting against the soccer team. I'll also add that the US isn't exactly a country rich in soccer history. For most other American countries, on the other hand, soccer is a huge part of their culture. It is something they take pride in, therefore when they are away from that country, soccer is how they stay connected.

It is the job of USA Soccer and the MNT to earn the respect of the American people. They are not entitled to any kind of support just because those people live here.

Well if you haven't noticed, national teams are passionately supported, and I would wager that most of it has to do with national pride. I have no issue with cheering for the club teams you grew up with. The national team represents the country. Even if you are the worst team in the world, you should pull for the country you represent. I have no issue with Jose in Manassas rooting for Mexico. I have an issue with Jose in the 25th Infantry Division (LI) from Hawaii wearing a uniform that carries the Stars and Stripes waving a Mexican flag and rooting for Mexico. That is like working for Northrop Grumman and showing up for work wearing a Lockheed Martin dress shirt (only worse).

The better team. I'd hate to see the stronger squad fall only to see the winner fail soon after. I want to see one of my teams make it deep into the world cup and I will be upset when either loses. I favor the US team personally and know more about it than I do Chile's team.

Keep in mind, I was born in Chile. I'm not 1st generation... I'm the immigrant here to take your jobs. :) (I came here legally 20 year ago)

And like I said in response to Ren, I have no issue with you or buenosdiaz rooting for your original "home" team. I have an issue with uniformed US military rooting for another countries national team.

And like I said in response to Ren, I have no issue with you or buenosdiaz rooting for your original "home" team. I have an issue with uniformed US military rooting for another countries national team.

I have no issue with you taking issue. This is international soccer baby. Everyone takes issue with fans of other teams! Take issue and love every minute of it. That's part of the fun!

This discussion is another reason I think soccer has taken hold in this country. Now battle lines are being drawn. You're with us or against us. This didn't use to be the case, most soccer fans could care less if you rooted for more than one nation.

Once the regional rivalries start to flare up in MLS, that'll be the next step.

As long as you're not rooting for like the Taliban or FARC soccer teams, then I say go for it...this isn't Nazi Germany and supporting another country's soccer team does not make someone un-American.

Of course, if some 5th generation American randomly starts rooting for like Italy or France over the US, then I will take issue!

But hey, like Destino said, whatever gets people fired up about the sport!!!!!!!!

No disrespect intended, just trying to understand your POV. If you parents lived in a ****hole in El Salvador, why would you want to feel connected to it? I lived in a ****** neighborhood growing up, and I want nothing to do with it today.

haha well that gets into foreign policy of the 20th century...my family didn't leave El Salvador because they hated the culture or people there, it was purely economical.

I don't resent the US because of that though, thats life...but at the same time thats where my parents...grandparents...and as far back as i can trace are from. Hell even my parents who lived through the mess that was the war down there and got out and came to the states still love el salvador, its where we are from. Cuzcatlan stadium looks a hell of a lot more familiar to me than any other stadium and those are my people. They are also historically the underdog so why not hope that they do well for once. The most high stakes game they play against each other are in the hex...and i honestly feel that an ES win over the US would not be the end of the world for the US...Call me a cynic but i feel like the us and mexico making the WC is a foregone conclusion

and i honestly feel that an ES win over the US would not be the end of the world for the US...Call me a cynic but i feel like the us and mexico making the WC is a foregone conclusion

Interesting discussion, but I have to nitpick on this particular point.

If the US loses to El Salvador, they will likely finish fourth in the group and will have to play a tough South American team to get in, which is a long shot.

So for you, I think this upcoming game will be a telling one. Whoever wins will deal a likely fatal blow to the other's chances.

So who are you rooting for? A tie?

Of course, if some 5th generation American randomly starts rooting for like Italy or France over the US, then I will take issue!

This bugs me. A lot. Having a connection with your home is understandable, and having a connection with your heritage is understandable, even if you're slightly removed. But the random cherry picking is just absurd.

The FIFA 06 intro says it best, and I think this is applicable to any sport, especially to rabid fans:

"Some may say its just a game. But its about heroes and tribes, loyalty and devotion. Its our commitment and our passion, our battle and our belief. This is our faith."

And while I don't go so far as to think its a religious experience, I think that short bit explains fandom and how its near treason to go gallavanting to other teams when times get tough for your own.

Oh, I think I've found a new signature, too!

ok, this morning when I woke up I felt a little about my generalizations towards the Mexican fanbase in my drunken stuper.

However, after reading this, I feel no remorse for what I said. These people are barbarians. If this type of display happened in the U.S., there would be all types of ramafications that we would face. This happens EVERY game in Azteca and NOTHING is done. This happens overseas and what happens? A team plays behind "closed doors" so to speak. Why is this never done to Mexico? Just read the below quote (and the whole article for more) and tell me that this should be allowed on a regular basis.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_ylt=AnDcrSrcvf1RL44.htB6le8mw7YF?slug=ro-usamexico081209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

MEXICO CITY – The man with the tri-colored mohawk took a swig of beer, stuck his fingers down his throat and vomited the mixture back into his cup. In the next seat another man, who was wearing a T-shirt with a cartoon drawing of the decapitated heads of Barack Obama and Landon Donovan, poured out what remained of the Corona beer he had been chugging and urinated into his cardboard drinks container.

Then, according to a neutral bystander who witnessed these disgusting acts, the pair stood on their seats, high-fived and hurled their vile concoctions in the direction of Donovan, the United States men’s national team star who was preparing to take a corner kick 15 yards away.

And it seems like it is getting to the point now, where evens refs seemed scared to make calls because of what type of reaction the fans are going to give.

Benny Feilhabe gets CHOKED and the other player doesnt get thrown out of the game?

ccbd4b55c6a50dda20616d71c25820c4-getty-88757821dm_usa_mexico.jpg

CONCACAF needs to step up do something. Is this considered acceptable behavior in Mexico?

Wow that Yahoo article is crazy. You're right, if something like that happened in the US you would never hear the end of it. But for some reason, this isn't getting anyones attention. CONCACAF should do something, no wonder why no one wins in Mexico. If we would've won yesterday, we might not have a soccer team anymore.

If we would've won yesterday, we might not have a soccer team anymore.

Its a scary thought. I was thinking on the way home from work yesterday, after Davies scored the 1st that if we did win that game there would be a freaking riot at the Azteca.

yeah mexicos soccer team is the dirtiest team i have ever seen...everytime they play the US somebody gets choked or hit...

and let them start losing they will play dirty and try to injure people...in response to karmacop i am going to cheer for el salvador to win

ask cobi jones about getting your dreadlocks pulled lol

Karmacop:

a loss for el salvador would all but shatter their dreams...i would be extremely surprised if the united states didn't end up in the top 3 and yes i understand that they have to play in honduras...

i mean i think subconsciously I understand that the likelihood of el salvador winning in utah of all places is highly unlikely.

i think a tie would be the worst case scenario for both teams lol

The Answer is:

ESPN paint ball championships

Public access Duckball tournament

ESPN2 Poker

ESPN Madden Nation

What are popular(?) activities viewable on local TV less lame than Soccer, Alex?

Correct.

I was wondering how long it would take for ND to make his obligatory (and lame) anti-soccer post. He does it in every single soccer thread. :doh:

I propose that we run a pool in the next US soccer post for the September game. We soccer fans PM a bet on what post number ND comes in with his usual tripe, and the winner gets a prize, to be determined. Closest without going over, or something like that.

Archived