Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA SOCCER: USA VS. Mexico Wed 4pm

heyholetsgogrant

Game is on Wednesday.

U.S. fans kind of got screwed on this. The game was originally supposed to be at 7 or 8 eastern time, but they moved it up. Now, the game is only going to be broadcast on Mun2 (a friggin spanish channel I have never heard and don't think I get.).

So it basically went from national TV on ESPN to this. Complete crap.

Anyway, the U.S. is 0-22-1 playing at Azteca, so anytype of result would be helpful.

With that said, though, a loss would not hurt us TOO bad. We would just have to take care of our own winnable games after that.

IF we do get a tie, its nice to get that 1 point, but its even better to deprive Mexico of two extra points at home.

Im predicting a 3-1 Mexico win tommorow.

Apparently NBC Universal owns this Mun2 station. I have Universal HD through Comcast, but their listing doesn't show this coming on. i was hoping maybe they'd air it there as well.

Yeah, im not sure.

I checked verizon fios' listing, and they carry mun2...i think its channel 265 or something around there.

Although mun2 is a spanish station, if you hit the sap button, it will give you an english play by play by former US national team player Marcelo Balboa.

The game was never at night. Mexico chose to have it in the afternoon so our team couldnt fly in that day, play, and leave. Helps with the altitude rather than staying overnight which we now must do.

As for the TV. Mexico soccer fed owns the rights. They offered it to ESPN who balked at the price. Luckily Telemundo now has an English speaking channel "mun2" that they will broadcast it on. Most cable networks have it, Directv has it (Channel 203 or 204 I think) and they will be showing it for free.

As for the game. A loss would almost destroy Mexicos chances to even make the WC. A win for the US almost assures us a berth. A tie helps the US and hurts Mex a bit. And I think that is the best we can hope to see.

The loss in the GC final means little to either side. I dont think anyone from either of those squads is even on the roster for tomorrow. But it might make the Mexicans a bit ****y, which might help the US. But it would be minimal.

We need to play like we did in Africa. Put Altidore and Davies up top, Donovan, Deuce, Bradley and Clark in the midfield with a backline of either-

Spector, Gooch, Demerit, Boca

or

Cherundolo, Gooch, Demerit, Boca

But I wouldnt be suprised to see Bob move Boca back to the middle and play both Cherundolo and Spector on the wings.

A win would be monumental.

As for the TV. Mexico soccer fed owns the rights. They offered it to ESPN who balked at the price.

I heard otherwise. NBC Universal owns the rights to Mun2, and ESPN approached them about buying the rights but got turned down. Don't know which is true.

As for the game. A loss would almost destroy Mexicos chances to even make the WC. A win for the US almost assures us a berth. A tie helps the US and hurts Mex a bit. And I think that is the best we can hope to see.

A tie would be a great result for the U.S. Mexico HAS to get a win in this game to stay in the thick of this race. It will greatly hinder them if they can not pull out the victory.

The loss in the GC final means little to either side. I dont think anyone from either of those squads is even on the roster for tomorrow. But it might make the Mexicans a bit ****y, which might help the US. But it would be minimal..

Actually, Mexico I believe has 12 players on their roster that were also on the gold cup roster. 6 of those 12 will likely be starters for the game tomorrow.The US has three players from the GQ roster, although, it is questionable whether any of them will start. While I agree that the loss means little to nothing, they will be playing with a lot of the same players.

Also, Mexico could be facing two big losses to their roster. Out for sure, Rafael Marquez, the barcelona defender, tore a calf muscle and will miss the game.

Also, Andres Guardado was injured in his last club match, and might play. Even if he does play, he certainly won't be 100%. He is one of el tris best players, so obviously this would be a big blow.

I'm getting out of work early for this game. I think tomorrow is the day the US squad finally ends the streak and gets one in the Azteca. I can't stand the Mexican National Team and all the hype of all they beat the US in the Gold Cup final hasn't gotten beyond annoying. Let's see how they do against the A squad.

I am no seasoned soccer fan by any means. Actually, i hardly know a thing about the sport. But i'm kind of excited to get off work tomorrrow, crack open a cold one, and watch this match. I followed what went down a couple months back and i've heard a lot about this game, so I want to see the US do well.

A couple friends of mine run their mouths about Brazil all the time, and it annoys the living hell out of me. So hopefully the US comes up big and puts on a show. I understand that the US has never won at the Azteca, but can someone tell me how long they've actually gone w/o winning there?

I don't think we've ever beat them IN Mexico.

EDIT: And just for fun, Azteca's capacity is more than 105,000.

You are right. We have never won in Azteca. I [believe] the record is 0-22-1 (with the one tie come back in 1997).

And it is amazing how big that stadium is. I never realized it until watching a pregame show yesterday.

Thats over 100,00 of the nastiest fans you will ever find. Definatly an intimidating place to play. And if the fans wern't enough for you, you are also playing ay 7,500 feet, in extreme temperatures, with a lot of smog. Luckily, Alex Lalas said that the smog won't be as bad as usual today, and the temperature has also dropped a bit, so maybe the conditions wont be THAT bad. But who knows.

Also, I heard sams army was going to be in attendance...all 100 if them!!!:hysterical:

I'm getting out of work early for this game. I think tomorrow is the day the US squad finally ends the streak and gets one in the Azteca. I can't stand the Mexican National Team and all the hype of all they beat the US in the Gold Cup final hasn't gotten beyond annoying. Let's see how they do against the A squad.

Yeah, I wouldn't get home until 6:00 or so, so im going to take an hour off work to go to a local bar and try and catch the game. I have two shots. Im hoping ESPN Zone in DC will somehow carry mun, or my other option is going to a local irish bar that plays soccer games.

Im going to call the places at lunch and see if they carry them. My fingers are crossed. :(

I am excited to see how the US play. Our midfield is never very strong and playing at altitude means that we prolly wont press them much this game. We really have to play this game at our tempo if we are gonna win, the problem is we don't have a midfielder that can run a game.

I think we have to look to get it in to Altidore early and play through him. He is strong and can hold up the ball in attack to allow other players to join. We can't control the ball in midfield so we prolly need to get it to our wide players or altidore as quickly as possible on counters or just regular attacks.

Archived