Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Beer choice at Obama meeting touches off new debate

AsburySkinsFan

Just because we haven't covered all the myriad possible angles to this story. This one isn't about race its instead about brews.

Beer choice at Obama meeting touches off new debate

Posted: 04:55 PM ET

The upcoming White House meeting with Henry Louis Gates, Jr., and the Cambridge police officer who arrested him earlier this month appears to have touched off a fresh debate all on its own: what kind of beer should be served?

Earlier this week the White House indicated each man would drink the beer of their choice — Bud Light for President Obama, Blue Moon for the police officer, and perhaps Red Stripe or Beck's for Gates.

But one Massachusetts congressman thinks another beer entirely should be served: Boston's own Sam Adams.

In a letter to Obama dated Wednesday, Massachusetts Rep. Richard Neal strongly urges the president not to drink Budweiser, now owned by a Belgian company. Nor should the White House consider serving Miller or Coors, Neal writes, both owned by a United Kingdom conglomerate.

Instead, the White House should serve the three men — all with ties to Massachusetts — the local favorite, not only because of its popularity in the region but also because it remains the largest American-owned and brewed beer, Neal says.

But Sam Adams founder and brewer Jim Koch told NPR if it was up to him he would make a special beer just for the event.

"I'd make a blend of ingredients from all over the world. Which is certainly what's represented there with the three participants," he said. "I would blend those ingredients together artfully and harmoniously, because that's really what we all hope for."

I would love to see what Jim Koch would come up with and what he'd call it. An American dark lager base rich in hops but not bitter full bodied with a clean finish light citrus scents and a dense head that lasts to the last sip clinging all the way down the glass.

Call it: Reconciliation

Let's here what you might brew, and what you'd call it.

What a seriously contrived load of crap.

Not that there's anything important the president needs to be doing or anything like that, lets take a stupid comment and blow it up into a political firestorm for... well, just because that is how the tunnel visioned political attack dogs work, and force this dumbass POINTLESS sideshow of a meeting.

I wonder how much taxpayer money will be spent to fly Gates and this cop down here? More than a dollar? Sounds like too much to me, especially compared to the complaints of, oh let's say Inaguration Day security costs. You know, something necessary.

What a waste.

~Bang

Not that there's anything important the president needs to be doing or anything like that, lets take a stupid comment and blow it up into a political firestorm for... well, just because that is how the tunnel visioned political attack dogs work, and force this dumbass POINTLESS sideshow of a meeting.

And I wonder how much taxpayer money will be spent to fly Gates and this cop down here? More than a dollar? Sounds like too much to me, especially compared to the complaints of, oh let's say Inaguration Day security costs. You know, something necessary.

What a hill of ****.

~Bang

When the country’s focus was on the Obama's comments, he was offended because it “took the focus off of health care reform.“

But when he appears in a promo for an irrelevant, second-rate comedian’s talk show (George Lopez) that is almost certain to tank, he reverts back to that insipid slogan about change.

Why doesn’t he stay in the Oval Office and out from in front of the camera and do some work?

Lets not forget George Lopez went on the campaign trail with Obama. And obviously he is just returning the favor like he did in the stimulus bill.

Which country supplied the oil that went into the jet fuel that will fly the President to Boston? What about the oil that became the gas in the cars that will transport these guys around town? Whose dirt was it pulled out of? Did it come from Venezuela? Mexico? Canada? God forbid, the heathen Middle East?!? Lord, can you imagine?

Are the tablecloths from Cambodia? Did any the pieces of media equipment covering the meeting ever pass through the ports in Shanghai, Shenzhen, or a dozen other coastal Chinese cities? Were any of the peanuts in the snack mix grown in Argentina? Better check them all individually to be sure.

What about the barley malt in Sam Adams? Is it from the US, Russia, Canada, Germany, or Australia? Can they account for every drop of malt? Can they produce a certificate of origin from the North Dakota Barley Council? Will it be authentic and 100% convincing as not a forgery?

Surely George Lopez must figure centrally in this matter somehow. How do we know that guy isn't a terrorist, anyway? I've never seen Lopez wear a flag pin!

When the country’s focus was on the Obama's comments, he was offended because it “took the focus off of health care reform.“

But when he appears in a promo for an irrelevant, second-rate comedian’s talk show (George Lopez) that is almost certain to tank, he reverts back to that insipid slogan about change.

Why doesn’t he stay in the Oval Office and out from in front of the camera and do some work?

Lets not forget George Lopez went on the campaign trail with Obama. And obviously he is just returning the favor like he did in the stimulus bill.

What the hell does any of that do with anything I said?

~Bang

There are worse lessons in life

Sure there are.

But, drinking solves nothing. Never has. Good for our leader to show us all the wrong way to approach resolving our problems.

Over a beer.

Maybe, if they can't work it out, they can try a couple shooters.:silly:

What the hell does any of that do with anything I said?

~Bang

I wonder how much taxpayer money will be spent to fly Gates and this cop down here? More than a dollar? Sounds like too much to me, especially compared to the complaints of, oh let's say Inaguration Day security costs. You know, something necessary.

What a waste.

~Bang

I only qouted you because we both agree that the entire thing is a ****ing joke and that there are more important things that need to be done. But Obama feels that it is more important to be in the media spotlight doing talkshows and little beer drinking get togethers to make it appear as if he is just like you and me in order to maintain that warm fuzzy feeling we get when we hear his name.

And he wasn't forced to do anything. This was his brilliant idea. Just like all the others :doh:

oh wow...I just have to laugh.

Although I do like blue moon and Sam Adams...bud light is piss water.

Let me guess you like darker beers right? Sam Adams tastes like crap. Only beer I ever had that made me vomit immediately without having drank anything before. It was the winter lager. Guinness is the only thing worse. I dont know why people call dark beer "real beer". Why would bitter ever be considered a good taste? Isnt bitter beer face supposed to be a bad thing? Give me my bud light or rolling rock any day of the week!

Archived