Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Beer choice at Obama meeting touches off new debate

AsburySkinsFan

I am BLOWN AWAY that Samuel Adams is now the largest American-owned and brewed beer.

All the macro breweries have been bought up by foreign companies. Sam Adams is tiny in comparison.

Yeah, I would have thought Yuengling would be larger. I don't know anyone who drinks Sam Adams.

Yeah, I would have thought Yuengling would be larger. I don't know anyone who drinks Sam Adams.

Sam Adams is a good brew. Love their Ales.

They should be drinking a few black & tans given the occassion.

:applause::pint:

Now THAT is a good idea!

Let me guess you like darker beers right? Sam Adams tastes like crap. Only beer I ever had that made me vomit immediately without having drank anything before. It was the winter lager. Guinness is the only thing worse. I dont know why people call dark beer "real beer". Why would bitter ever be considered a good taste? Isnt bitter beer face supposed to be a bad thing? Give me my bud light or rolling rock any day of the week!

All beers are bitter. It comes from the hops. I like dark beers, they are full of flavor; bud light is just bitter and watery. I guess something with flavor makes you barf. :) To each their own. If that's what you like, drink it. At least you tried something different. That's what Obama needs to do at his little meeting - everyone drink what the hell they want to, regardless of the sniveling politics some would try to inject in these things.

But, drinking solves nothing. Never has. Good for our leader to show us all the wrong way to approach resolving our problems.

Over a beer.

It isn't like he said come on over to the crib and lets get lit.

A beer has solved MANY things throughout time. Think it hasn't, and you are not very realistic.

Related.......

President Obama reached Crowley at Irish pub

When the President comes calling, where better to take his call than at your favorite local Irish pub?

Sergeant James Crowley, who is at the center of the Professor Henry Gates arrest case took the call from President Obama on Friday at Tommy Doyle's Irish Pub in Kendall Square where he was huddling with fellow cops.

“I ran over to grab some drinks, and the bartender told me, ‘Hey, they’re on the phone with President Obama,’ ” waiter Kyle Shearer told the Boston Herald with a nod toward the back table where Crowley had been seated with a group of colleagues. “I couldn’t believe it until I got close enough to hear Obama’s voice.”

Shearer told the newspaper she overheard the president apologize to the Irish American cop and ask him if there was anything he could do. Perhaps influenced by his surrounding Crowley suggested a beer with Gates and Obama at the White House. Obama quickly agreed.

Shortly after after the phone conversation, the president appeared live on the TV screen in the bar talking about the call.

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Obama-Reached-Crowley-at-Irish-Pub-51737092.html

"Bud Light for President Obama, Blue Moon for the police officer, and perhaps Red Stripe or Beck's for Gates."

Blue Moon is a Belgian WHITE

Budweiser is an American Larger........Owned by Europeans

Red Stripe another American Larger....Known to be short, stubby and ugly

Hooray Beer

I always thought Red Stripe was a Jamaican Beer....or am I confusing it with something else ?
No its Jamaican

I used some license

"Jamaican Larger"...."Caribbean Larger".....

Used to be an Ale and the Locals didn't like it

The first Red Stripe was brewed in the Surrey Brewery in 1928 as an ale style beer that was too heavy to suit local preferences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Stripe

Hadn't been here in a while....didn't know the site had a political bend to it! All I gots to say is GOOOH! Get Out Of Our House. Vote all of the incumbent Rep's and Senators out of your district. Let's start fresh. We now need change that won't F*&k us. No mo BO!

Tommy Doyle's "Irish Pub" is located in the heart of the most soulless overcorporate corner of Cambridge -- 1 Kendall Square -- where literally every single person within a quarter-mile is wearing khakis and a blue button-down shirt and works for:

- A giant biotech firm right across the street;

- Ultra-secret Draper Labs right across the street;

- An obscure grad student lab at MIT, right down the street; or

- Nobody, because they're a ubiquitous Cambridge hipster of unknown but apparently substantial financial means. (These folks break the dress code.)

Also right across the street: One of the best independent cinemas in the Boston area.

This is not where the Cambridge cops hang out.

Tommy Doyle's is every bit as authentic an Irish, cop-normal pub as the Olive Garden is an authentic Italian, mob-normal family restaurant. Which is to say, not at all. There are half a dozen better and less crappy places for a beer within a short walk. There's one NEXT DOOR. People who know Cambridge at all, presumably including the police who patrol the city, know this very, very well.

So why are Cambridge cops hanging out at a clubby white collar faux-pub with overpriced beer and mediocre food like Tommy Doyle's? It makes no sense. It's like Harvey Keitel, Denzel Washington and Kevin Spacey meeting for lunch at Planet Hollywood with not a hint of irony, because it's a "Movie Star restaurant."

Maybe Doyle's has changed in a few years since I last peeked in. I kind of doubt it.

It isn't like he said come on over to the crib and lets get lit.

A beer has solved MANY things throughout time. Think it hasn't, and you are not very realistic.

Wrong. The only thing beer ever solved, is thirst. And even that is temporary.

The people drinking the beer solve things. The beer is a false aid.

That, is reality.

That, is reality.

The people did indeed solve things. But the beer is an excellent facilitator.:evilg:

That, is reality.

Well, in this case it won't. This beer won't ease any racial tensions anywhere (Except maybe among the oppressed Martha's Vineyard crowd that Gates belongs to.).. this beer won't even get the people who demanded that this farce be carried to this point to be satisfied.

~Bang

Eh, photo ops are part of the Presidential gig. Have been since the invention of the camera. This is a run of the mill twice a week SOPP (Standard operating Presidential Procedure).

What I wonder is if Crowley can make the millions that Joe, the Plumber did off his accidental brush with the powerful and the elite.

Well, in this case it won't. This beer won't ease any racial tensions anywhere (Except maybe among the oppressed Martha's Vineyard crowd that Gates belongs to.).. this beer won't even get the people who demanded that this farce be carried to this point to be satisfied.

~Bang

Agreed. This is a total waste of time. And an embarrassing situation for any President to put himself in.

But it's a great diversion, which is the ultimate goal.

Can't wait for the Bang Cartoon on this.;)

Bud Light?? The prez needs to man up and drink a real beer, light beer is for wimps. (kidding, don't tear me up libs)

Oh I agree, When I read that he was drinking Bud Light I thought, "Wow, that's the safe choice." My guess is that the choice was made by some group of advisers who reasoned that since Bud Light was the most popular beer in the country that he wouldn't offend too many, combine that with the low calorie content and he'd present healthy drinking, combine that with the low abv and he'd promote responsible drinking. All while sacrificing taste, and satisfaction.

Archived