Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Training Camp Hunch...RG

darrelgreenie

With training camp around the corner i have semi-bold prediction about the roster.

Although everyone talks about RT being a question mark, i think that RG is the bigger question mark.

I feel more confident in 25 year old Stephon Heyer returning from a surgery free offseason.

I feel decidedly less confident in 33 year old Randy Thomas who is returning from off season neck surgery to repair a bulging disc in his neck and a knee scope in June.

All this after battling back from a torn tricep in 2007 and a knee injury the year before.

Imo Randy Thomas is a player in decline who best days like Jon Jansen are behind him.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_previousnews.aspx?sport=NFL&id=174

Chad Rinehart our 3rd round RG didn't play a snap last year and the word on him last year was that he wasn't ready for the NFL last year but.....

Toward the end of last season, offensive line coach Joe Bugel said he noticed Rinehart started “perking up” as he grew more acclimated to the NFL.

“The light bulb finally went on,” Bugel said. “He started realizing what the NFL is all about. He was coming from Northern Iowa and college kids sometimes hit the wall. With preseason, we play about 20 games, and that’s twice what they played in college.

“Now he knows exactly what he needs to do to get ready for the season. I’m expecting a lot from him and he is expecting a lot from himself.”

Added Rinehart: “Now I’m more comfortable with the system and I’m able to execute a little quicker with the plays. I’m more confident with my sets and I can just go out and execute the plays.”

-http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Rinehart_Believes_He_s_Ready_41842.jsp

The good news is that longtime offensive line coach Joe Bugel has changed his tune on Chad Rinehart. He reportedly questioned the player's future after the '08 season, but now he sounds much more optimistic. Tenorio asked Bugel what the difference was in Rinehart from last season to now.

"Night and day," Bugel said. "Difference between yesterday and today. He's going to be a real good football player for us."

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast/0-12-8/Are-you-worried-about-the-Skins--O-line-depth-.html

Also, Randy has been joking around about not being 100% and about joked about Rinehart being "on his butt" but that part didn't make the clip, but for those of us that watch Redskin's Nation we heard it.

http://comcastsportsnet.tv/pages/player?is_popup=1&feedID=296&vidID=11092&startclip=7&r=91&af=3&r=91&af=3&dord=mr

Redskins: Randy Thomas describing his health status--7/19

Long story short i think that Chad Rinehart or Jeremy Bridges will be the opening day RG and i think its for the best.

What is your bold camp predicition?

HTTR!

No chance that either of them are the starter on day one.

You don't replace pro-bowlers like that, without seeing what they can give the team.

If injury occurs, that is a different story.

But you do make some good points. We are going to need several more linemen in next year's draft.

The really good news is that a perceived weakness, the OL has more back-up coming along. Of course proof is in the performance on the field. I am not giving up on Thomas, he played pretty well last year considering he played with a compressed disk in his neck.

Regardless, OL may actually surprise some doom and gloomers with some possible combinations not even considered. I think after last year the coaching staff might just be alittle more open to changes.

My training camp hunch is that the OL has some splaining to do on the field.

From a few up close & personal observations, Randy Thomas is one tough sonuva****. I remember in 05, MNF in Philly when Randy tore his triceps muscle & he still wanted to get back out on the field. Then there was last year, playing with that disc where the wrong hit could have left him paralyzed. Randy ain't going to loose his spot without one helluva fight.

No chance that either of them are the starter on day one.

You don't replace pro-bowlers like that, without seeing what they can give the team.

If injury occurs, that is a different story.

But you do make some good points. We are going to need several more linemen in next year's draft.

since when is randy thomas a probowler? frankly, i think we need to get younger and more athletic along the o-line

From a few up close & personal observations, Randy Thomas is one tough sonuva****. I remember in 05, MNF in Philly when Randy tore his triceps muscle & he still wanted to get back out on the field. Then there was last year, playing with that disc where the wrong hit could have left him paralyzed. Randy ain't going to loose his spot without one helluva fight.

That is one heck of a football player there. Guy is hurt, Guy does not act hurt and still plays, yeah he's a HOG. The fact that those were not just small knicks is another tribute to his toughness. For some reason Thomas keeps getting the brunt of last season's problems but I don't see that. Did he play great, no, but it is understandable considering.

Thomas is one guy I am rooting especially hard for this year, he makes the line better if he is 100% again.

since when is randy thomas a probowler? frankly, i think we need to get younger and more athletic along the o-line

No offense, but younger is not always better. Experience counts, but if one of the youngs guys actually beat out Thomas, then so be it. I really think it is his job to lose. And it would be sad to see it end because he is not 100%.

Sorry, should have been more specific.

Pro bowl caliber. Definitely the second best lineman for us for a very long time.

He is solid. He isn't Jansen. Jansen was slipping before the injury.

Next year.....possibly. The first game of this season? No way.

Randy Thomas is a huge ? for me. The guy definitely has shown that he can gut it out, but he's also come close to putting his career in jeopardy. I hope Coach Bugel was right when he said that the "light bulb finally went on," for Rinehart because if not, the OL could be a huge mess.

I'd love to see Rinehardt play well enough to supplant Randy, but thats a longshot IMO.

Randy at 75% is a top ten guard in the NFL just due to his toughness and i don't think he has declined at quite the same rate as Jansen has.

I think Randy will start for another year.

If Thomas is healthy, then I don't see anyone taking his spot at all.

If Thomas isn't quite 100% and his play starts to slip, then I'd expect Jeremy Bridges to get the nod over Rinehart, simply due to experience. Dockery and Bridges at the Guard slots would be 652lbs of pain for defenses trying to stop our running game.

Assuming he has full fitness, Thomas will be the starting RG.

I think the coaches also like Bridges, and have spoken well of him so far. I think he is next inline at RG.

I thought that Rinehart was drafted as a LT who would convert to LG in the pros ? I see him as the back-up LG for now, who would fill in at RG in the event of an injury crisis.

I'd also note that Bridges can play RT, so Rinehart could also end up at RG if Bridges ends up at RT. A few things would need to happen for that to transpire, but we do seem to have some decent options at the moment.

Thomas' heart, desire, and toughness are unquestionable. The guy flat out wants to play regardless of injury to himself and he's proved it more than once. The man has been nothing short of a great football player for the Redskins, however, he's been injured for about four straight seasons and while I respect that he's still a good option and it's his spot to lose I think the coaching staff should definitely be pushing Rinehart and Bridges to get better and compete for that starting spot. I'm not saying our coaches don't do that - it is their job, but simply making a point. These guys need to be ready to step in because the past points to there being a really good chance Thomas gets injured or simply worn down and his play declines - and when it does coaches cannot hesitate to turn to one of these guys.

I really hope Thomas can make it through the year. He can still play, but It's a young mans game. It might be better to use him as a backup. Thomas is great when he's healthy.

Thomas has been a stalwart player for us ever since coming from the Jets. But, he played badly last season - as did Rabach and the entire right side of the line. This needs to change and soon. He just is not the same guy he was. It's a hard to come to grips with as it was apparently with Jansen. This is Thomas's last season regardless and it should be for Rabach too.

From a few up close & personal observations, Randy Thomas is one tough sonuva****. I remember in 05, MNF in Philly when Randy tore his triceps muscle & he still wanted to get back out on the field.

It was '07....'05 was when his leg got rolled up against Dallas right before the playoffs

Even more amazing was when he came back later that season in Week 13 against Chicago. Granted he re-aggravated the injury, but he sure impressed me with his toughness. And Randy was a Pro Bowl alternate last season. I still think he's the right man at RG.

This is Thomas's last season regardless and it should be for Rabach too.

When the OL was healthy i thought that Rabach was by far the weakest link. I had my fingers crossed that we would sign Jason Brown from the Ravens.

I think Rabach is smart and tough but i just don't think he's strong enough to not get pushed back anymore.

I hope that competition from Will Montgomery and Edwin Williams can push him to raise his game.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I love Randy Thomas and i want him to be 100% but he's coming off of neck surgery and a knee scope and he's 33.

If Rinehart/ Bridges don't make a strong push to win the RG spot i will be disappointed.

I've always felt like Randy Thomas got overlooked on the Oline by us because of Chris Samuels who we always gave credit to, and rightfully so. He and Chris have been our premier Olineman, with Randy bringing a mean streak and even more leadership than Chris to the table.

That being said, he wasn't the Randy of old last year, especially towards the end, and I wasn't surprised to hear he had that injury all along. Only God knows if all those injuries he's had were just fluke ones and he'll be fine, or if his body just can't handle it all anymore. I'm hoping it's the former since it would be best for the franchise. Randy, when healthy, is simply a beast, and Rinehart would have one more year to learn and be better prepared.

I would be VERY happy if Bridges is the starter. But knowing Buges' loyalty, I don't think it will happen.

I think the statement Zorn made both last year and this year with Jansen shows that Buges's loyalty only goes so far. If he's beat out by Bridges or Rinehart, then may the best man play.

For what its worth though, I don't see him getting beat out by either player. I think it'd be more likely for him to get injured and sit out based on that. I'm not wishing injury on him, but he seems more injury prone than anybody else on our OL.

Archived